DTP

Lively discussions on the graphic arts and publishing — in print or on the web

Go Back   Desktop Publishing Forum > General Discussions > Hardware & Gadgets

Old 05-04-2017, 12:24 PM   #31
terrie
Staff

Quote:
hugh: How do you initiate it? By typing in the product name or ....?
I'm not positive but, if memory serves, I opened Revo, View > Hunter Mode and the Revo software window disappears and an icon (kind of a target) appears--you can right-click the icon to exit Hunter mode. Then (again, if I'm remembering correctly), I click-dragged the icon over the shortcut for the software I wanted to uninstall and I can't remember what I did next but I suspect that a window opened with options to uninstall.

Ahhhh...I found the RevoPro Help PDF. Here's what it has to say (in part) about using Hunter Mode:

"To operate in Hunter mode you have to do the following steps:

1. Press the left mouse button over the blue target window and hold it pressed;

2. Move the mouse over an item supported by Hunter mode (desktop shortcut, open window, icon etc.). While doing so a tool tip is shown with information about the application you will select if you release the button

3. Release the left mouse button and a menu will show up;

4. Select desired command from that menu"

Terrie
terrie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2017, 06:56 AM   #32
Hugh Wyn Griffith

So it boils down to: You have to be able to select with the Hunter icon something that at one time was associated with what you want it to track down and remove.

You can't just open with Hunter mode and type in a word for example that is associated with the product to be tracked down. Like I just removed Nero with Windows Uninstaller but I'm sure it is not completely gone (as happened the other day) so I type in Nero .....

BTW What happened the other day was that something went wrong out of nowhere so far as I was concerned and there was a folder visible on my desktop which if I left or right mouse clicked on in order to inspect properties, open or delete instead started to install something from Nero and while this was going on the system froze.

Only exit was to crash out.

After the restart I ran Revo free and no sign of Nero, nor was there in the Windows Menu structure or Programs installed.

After trying everything I could think of in the end I opened Windows Explorer and told it to search the entire hard drive for anything Nero -- luckily only a 256Gb SSD -- and it came up with a long long list of files so I Select All and Delete and all was OK.

That's the sort of thing where Hunter should have done it for me if I had had it!

Hugh
Hugh Wyn Griffith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2017, 11:30 AM   #33
terrie
Staff

Quote:
hugh: You have to be able to select with the Hunter icon something that at one time was associated with what you want it to track down and remove
Yes...

>>Like I just removed Nero with Windows Uninstaller but I'm sure it is not completely gone (as happened the other day) so I type in Nero ..

One approach to that sort of situation is to (re)install the software using the same installation options you used the first time (same installation folder, etc.), reboot to make sure the install has completed and then use Revo to uninstall using their advanced (or medium) "depth" options to get it all rooted out.

I use Nero (Nero6Ultra) and did a custom install so that I only installed the stuff I was going to use--Nero has way too much crapware but the I like the basic burning portion of the software. When I had my first Win7 system custom built, I rooted around on ebay and found a more current version of Nero (11 is memory serves) but decided to see if Nero6 would install and it did so I've used it ever since on each succeeding Win7 system and the newer version is floorware...'-}}

Terrie
Old 05-06-2017, 03:13 PM   #34
Hugh Wyn Griffith

Yes I knew about the reinstall route but for situations where you might even have that any more ....

I used to like Nero in very early versions. I don't even remember which I got up to -- 12 I think.

Hugh
Old 05-07-2017, 01:18 PM   #35
terrie
Staff

Ahhh...yes...of course, if you no longer have the software--or can't find it amongst all the other software that is now floorware...'-}}

Terrie
Old 05-07-2017, 07:41 PM   #36
Steve Rindsberg
Staff

Same here, but it kept getting more and more bloated when all I really wanted it to do was burn CDs and DVDs of my files, for the most part.

Somewhere along the line, someone turned me on to ImgBurn. Free. Follows the quirks of its author to some extent (You don't NEED a CD copy feature. Not when I've given you a Create Disk Image feature and a Burn CD from Disk feature. Use one, then use the other and stop bugging me).

www.pptools.com
and stuff
Steve Rindsberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2017, 09:02 AM   #37
Hugh Wyn Griffith

Yes I used IMGBURN and still have it on my drive but I rarely burn CDs or DVDs - maybe I should try some of the Minis I have!

Hugh
Old 05-08-2017, 11:18 AM   #38
Bo Aakerstrom

You might not want to stick those in a slot loading drive though...

Old 05-08-2017, 11:38 AM   #39
Hugh Wyn Griffith

Yes there was some discussion of that here or in CompuServe. My tray has an area in it for the smaller disks .... but since the desktop tower is on its side I don't intend to try it since I doubt there's any clamp.

Hugh
Old 05-16-2017, 07:31 PM   #40
Andrew B.
Staff

My computer arrived today but I was feeling sicker than usual now it's evening and I took it out of the box. I am afraid to turn it on because I'll be glued to it for hours fiddling with everything.

But I did print out the article about what to turn off and I checked out the O&O ShutUp10 software site. I think I'll delay using the software so I can learn to navigate this stuff on my own, and then later go for it.

Oh, I did look at the quick start sheet that came with the computer, and when I saw the photo of the Win 10 desktop it struck fear in my heart. If you recall, I had a Win 8 computer for awhile. But this is Windows 10 and I think I'll be able to live with it.