DTP

Lively discussions on the graphic arts and publishing — in print or on the web

Go Back   Desktop Publishing Forum > General Discussions > Hardware & Gadgets

Old 04-24-2017, 04:01 PM   #1
Andrew B.
Staff

Default Computer purchase again

I bought my last computer less than a year ago. I am very unhappy with the configuration I specified. So I'm buying a new one. Life's too short to worry about cost-efficiency.

I didn't want to do a lot of research, so I went back to HP. I think one reason I got them before is they offer onsite service. I called their sales person. She suggested a Pavilion. She based it on me saying I wanted a built in DVD drive. I have a vague memories of Pavilions not being the best, but I'm not sure what I remember now.

Here is a link to a screen capture of my configuration. It's a very tall GIF. In my browser I let it load and then click to see full size. The options I picked have a white background. Others are checked. Here's the link.

Last edited by Andrew B.; 04-25-2017 at 07:11 AM.
Andrew B. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2017, 04:53 PM   #2
Bo Aakerstrom

My previous laptop was a refurbished Pavilion. I was very happy with it and it served me well for a long time until it electrocuted itself.

$1400 sounds a bit expensive for what it is though. And I would have gone for a SSD and an external drive to back up stuff on. SSDs works wonders for both speed and battery life.

And you were right - it is a really tall image!

Old 04-24-2017, 05:31 PM   #3
Andrew B.
Staff

What's keeping me from getting a SSD is in the past I managed to fill up a 456 gig hard disk and it was a pain to keep swapping files off. This was for a specific projects, and it's not likely to happen again. But it might. Maybe if I experienced a drive like that I'd want one more.

Old 04-25-2017, 01:03 PM   #4
terrie
Staff

If the link is what you are actually getting:

1. Windows 10?

2. WHY are you paying $169.98 for some piece of McAfee crap? You can save $99 by just going with the trial version of whatever a/v software they install and uninstall it when you get the system

3. Price is pretty steep! Last year I bought an HP ProBook 450 G3 similar to this one at MicroCenter for $500-ish (reg. $599) with the following specs:

- Intel Core i5-6200U Processor 2.3GHz

- Microsoft Windows 7 Professional 64-bit

- 8GB DDR4-2133 RAM

- 1TB 5,400RPM Hard Drive

- Intel HD Graphics 520

- SuperMulti DVDRW Drive

- 10/100/1000 Network, 1x1 802.11b/g/n Wireless

- 15.6" HD LED-backlit SVA Anti-Glare Display.

- If you add in the HP onsite warranty ($200?? $300?? no price listed), the total price is still significantly less than $1400.

Call them back and see what they have on the ProBook side...

Terrie

Last edited by terrie; 04-25-2017 at 01:22 PM.
terrie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2017, 04:24 PM   #5
Hugh Wyn Griffith

Andrew

Larger SSDs are getting cheaper all the time. 500GB under $200 and 1TB under $300

Then you can take the included HP SATA drive and put it into an empty case ($20) and have a an external hard drive for free! Since it is a laptop drive it should not need a power supply in the external case in order to give the 12volts a full size drive needs.

You could get a wider choice for less maybe without the DVD reader and buy an external USB plug in one. They are not that expensive. Depends on what you use the VD drive for? If for burning data then the USB connection might be too slow.

Or get used to thumbdrives.

Having an external hard drive is a good investment both for backing up and for keeping unnecessary data on the laptop. Go for USB 3 to get the speed increase.

Hugh
Hugh Wyn Griffith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2017, 07:19 AM   #6
Steve Rindsberg
Staff

+1 Hugh's suggestions. All of them. Unreservedly.

And definitely make sure that the new computer has one or more USB3 ports; nowadays most of them seem to. If you have a fast normal HDD (say 7200 RPM) in an external USB3 case, it'll be surprisingly good speedwise.

And there are external USB3 DVD reader/writers out there too.

www.pptools.com
and stuff
Steve Rindsberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2017, 07:47 PM   #7
Andrew B.
Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by terrie View Post
If the link is what you are actually getting:
1. Windows 10?
I know. I'm not thrilled about this. But they don't offer Win 7 on that computer. And, I no longer have the heart of a power user, so I just accept my fate (sort of) these days. I knew this day would come.

Quote:
2. WHY are you paying $169.98 for some piece of McAfee crap? You can save $99 by just going with the trial version of whatever a/v software they install and uninstall it when you get the system
I guess because I have nothing against it. But now that you mention I've decided to shorten my subscription to it. If it were Norton, I'd probably test drive Bitdefender. Norton now pops up large ads on my desktop. But if it removes software it only flashes a message that I may or may not see.

Quote:
If you add in the HP onsite warranty ($200?? $300?? no price listed),
$168. But I noticed that it is no longer available on the website, although it is still in my shopping cart.

Quote:
Call them back and see what they have on the ProBook side.
Per your advice, I called them. The problem with the Probook is it has a no glare screen. I'm more of a home user these days. You should see my fumble around a spreadsheet trying to write a formula.

Anyway, thanks for going over the list.

Oh, I forgot to mention. I told the first sales person I didn't need a touch screen. She told me she has a touch screen and the only one who uses it is her cat.

Old 04-26-2017, 10:19 PM   #8
Andrew B.
Staff

Hugh, I didn't realize SSD's had become so big. I wonder why HP didn't offer that to me as an option. I would have gotten a 1 TB.

I found out something today I didn't know about before. If someone stole my computer, and have a Microsoft account, I can remotely erase files form the hard drive, assuming it's hooked up to the Internet. I checked my notes and I appear to have a Microsoft account. Also, Microsoft Passport, and something about a microsoft.net.

Old 04-27-2017, 12:53 AM   #9
Bo Aakerstrom

Windows 10 ain't so bad. But do remember to "adjust" what information it can collect.

And by "adjust" I mean turn off.

Old 04-27-2017, 03:49 AM   #10
Andrew B.
Staff

I'm going to start reviewing the threads here about Windows 10. I'm just not sure what I should do first.