DTP

Lively discussions on the graphic arts and publishing — in print or on the web

Go Back   Desktop Publishing Forum > General Discussions > Software

Old 03-13-2017, 02:27 PM   #1
terrie
Staff

Default Quick Launch bar fun...'-}}

As I'm sure most people know, Windows 7 does not have the Quick Launch bar active by default. I've gotten along for years without it but today, I decided that I'd like to have it. One reason is that I have mulitple versions of Firefox installed (one old (regular) version and 2 relatively recent portable versions) and I've changed the standard desktop shortcut icon for each so that I can tell the difference with a quick glance but when you pin the shortcuts to the taskbar, the standard icon is what is used rather than the one I've chosen.

I knew that the Quick Launch bar could be established in Windows 7 because I'd set it up for my sister on her systems but I couldn't remember exactly how to do it. I did quick browser search and found the instructions and followed them (I think) correctly but, all of a sudden none of the stuff I'd pinned to the taskbar would open which was really annoying--it's also kind of funny because until a short time ago, I never could understand why my sister (and others) pinned everything to the taskbar but now I like the approach so having it taken away was irritating.

I eventually fiddle my way to getting things to work as they should--pinned taskbar items would open and the Quicklaunch bar was established and working.

I have a couple of questions that I hope someone can help me with:

1. Could anyone running Windows 7 (Win 8/8.1 might be the same but I'm not sure) and not using QuickLaunch please take a look in the following location and tell me if there is a "Quick Launch" subfolder in the "Internet Explorer" folder: yourwindowsuserprofile\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\Internet Explorer (Note: %userprofile%\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\ is the default location for QuickLaunch)

2. If there is a "Quick Launch" subfolder, is there a "User Pinned" subfolder in the "Quick Launch" folder? The "User Pinned" folder should contain a "TaskBar" subfolder which lists all the items pinned to the taskbar.

Basically, after I finished fiddling around, I ended up with the "Internet Explorer" folder containing 2 subfolders--"Quick Launch" and "User Pinned"--rather than "User Pinned" being a subfolder of "Quick Launch". While, as I noted, things are working ok, I'm trying to figure out how things were set up prior to my mucking about...'-}}

Thanks!

Terrie
terrie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2017, 07:00 PM   #2
Steve Rindsberg
Staff

Win7/64

I can't find any evidence of QuickLaunch on the taskbar but I do have a Quick Launch folder in the location you've described.

The User Pinned folder contains these folders:

ImplicitAppShortcuts
Which contains a folder named 7e4dca80246863e3, which in turn contains a shortcut to control panel

StartMenu
Shortcuts to Adobe Acrobat X Pro and Snipping tool, which are the first two items at the top of the Start button pop-up menu. There's lots more schtuff on that menu but that's all that's in this folder.

TaskBar (contains shortcuts to the stuff on ... you'll never guess ... no really ... go ahead ... try ... YES! My task bar!!!)

www.pptools.com
and stuff
Steve Rindsberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2017, 03:36 AM   #3
Barrie Greed

Default Qucik Launch

Win7/64

Screen shot attached

ImplicitAppShortcuts is empty

StartMenu has a link to XAMPP which is the only item pinned to the Start Menu

TaskBar has links to everything on the taskbar

Barrie Greed
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	quicklaunch.jpg
Views:	7
Size:	94.6 KB
ID:	1980  

Last edited by Barrie Greed; 03-14-2017 at 10:46 AM. Reason: Spelling error
Barrie Greed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2017, 08:08 AM   #4
Steve Rindsberg
Staff

"pinned to the Start Menu"

Ah, those were the magic words. The two items in my Start Menu folder are the two items that appear above a faint gray line on the Start button popup. Pinned, no doubt.

Thanks!

www.pptools.com
and stuff
Old 03-14-2017, 11:23 AM   #5
terrie
Staff

Quote:
steve: but I do have a Quick Launch folder in the location you've described.
Thanks! I think that the QL folder is created as part of the Win7 install but I wasn't sure so this confirms it.

Is "User Pinned" a subfolder of "Quick Launch"--I suspect it is? I lost the "ImplicitAppShortcuts" folder and the "Start Menu" folder when I was fiddling about but things still work. I'd never seen/heard of "ImplicitAppShortcuts" before yesterday and rooting around online looking for info, my impression is that it can cause more problems than not. The "Start Menu" folder doesn't have much useful stuff in it so I've not tried to recreate it.

I can't figure why my taskbar got so screwed up but I suspect that it might have been because I was following a "How To Geek" tutorial and later learned from a sevenforums.com tutorial that the location in the "HTG" tutorial was not quite correct. At this point, my "Task Bar" folder is a subfolder in "User Pinned" and the "User Pinned" folder is not a subfolder of "Quick Launch" and since all is working ok, I'm not going to muck with it...'-}}

Thanks...

Terrie
Old 03-14-2017, 11:35 AM   #6
terrie
Staff

Barrie...

Thanks so much for the screen shot...as I noted to Steve, it's good to have a confirmation that what I suspected was the "proper" nesting of folders is indeed the case even if that's not what's on my system now after my fiddling--see attached screenshot...

Thanks...

Terrie
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	tlbQL.jpg
Views:	5
Size:	99.6 KB
ID:	1981  
Old 03-14-2017, 11:37 AM   #7
terrie
Staff

Quote:
steve: The two items in my Start Menu folder are the two items that appear above a faint gray line on the Start button popup.
Interesting...I'm using Classic Shell's StartMenu software and, I also have nothing pinned to the Start Menu. Good to know what might be there without Classic Shell...

Terrie
Old 03-14-2017, 03:58 PM   #8
Hugh Wyn Griffith

I'm not using Classic Shell and I've always used the TaskBar as if it were QL including on the later versions of Windows than 7.

In 7 I usually need on the task bar a desktop icon made by me or created when something is installed and just drag and drop that on the TaskBar. If you need something from All Programs for example I just use Send to > Desktop; drag and drop that and then delete the Desktop shortcut if I don't need it.

In 8 & 10 you can do it via the Start Screen by right mouse clicking on a tile or expanded list of what's installed and looking for the More link which then includes Pin to Taskbar (if that's what it's called there).

Hugh
Hugh Wyn Griffith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2017, 09:15 AM   #9
Steve Rindsberg
Staff

>> Is "User Pinned" a subfolder of "Quick Launch"

Yes.

It's all stock here. I haven't messed with the folder structure ever, or even looked at it until YOU started stirring up trouble, Missy. ;-)

www.pptools.com
and stuff
Old 03-15-2017, 01:52 PM   #10
terrie
Staff

Quote:
hugh: and then delete the Desktop shortcut if I don't need it.
Yes...many people (my sister included) do delete the desktop shortcut icons but...given my experience the other day with getting the QuickLaunch bar visible, it occurred to me that it would have been an even bigger pitaness if I had deleted all the desktop shortcut icons for the items that I have displayed in the taskbar because I would have had to either create new desktop shortcuts for all those items or gone into Explorer to find each software exe right-clicked the exe and chosen "pin to taskbar" or found each item in the Start Menu > Programs, right-clicked the item and chosen "pin to taskbar"--a bit tedious--so not deleting those desktop icons saved me some work...'-}}

The main reason I decided to use the QuickLaunch bar is that it honors whatever icon image you've chosen rather than the default image for the software--as noted, I have multiple versions of Firefox each with their own shortcut icon to make it easy for me to determine which is which in one glance...

Terrie