Yeah but you didn't post the link! <gdr>

Hugh
Hugh Wyn Griffith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2017, 01:49 PM   #12
terrie
Staff

Quote:
hugh: I don't trust any site that has
Is that from one of the links I posted? If so, which link?

I use an adblocker and I use the Request Policy add-on (allows you to see and control all site/page crosslinking) with which I allow only the absolutely necessary crosslinks for a site to display. I checked all 3 of the links I posted bare nekkid with no adblocker and Request Policy set to allow everything and I didn't see the ad to mentioned. I don't understand why anyone would use a browser without and adblocker and while I love Request Policy, it does take a tiny bit more work so I can understand people not using it or something like it, noscript for example.

Terrie
terrie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2017, 03:05 PM   #13
Hugh Wyn Griffith

Yes it was from

Quote:
If you've not looked at O&OShutup10, then do so immediately because from what I've read, it's quite helpful.

Hugh
Old 01-13-2017, 10:23 AM   #14
terrie
Staff

Quote:
hugh: Yes it was from
Ahhh...well...I guess that's another reason not to use Windows 10...'-}}

Terrie
Old 01-13-2017, 12:34 PM   #15
Bo Aakerstrom

If a site that isn't connected to Microsoft carry adverts that are iffy, that is hardly Microsoft's fault. More an indication that the software they offer might not be what I want to use after all.

In my experience, all OSs (and most software, for that matter) have aspects that are not in the best interest of the end user - even some popular Linux distributions. It is really up to us to be vigilant and only permit info we are happy to share to be shared. Where we actually can do something about that.

Old 01-13-2017, 05:53 PM   #16
Hugh Wyn Griffith

As Bo says ....

And it's more a case of "Don't believe what others tell you about a website or .... unless you have investigated".

Hugh
Old 01-14-2017, 11:36 AM   #17
terrie
Staff

Quote:
bo: More an indication that the software they offer might not be what I want to use after all.
That's a very legitimate observation. That said, O&OShutup10 does have a good reputation as a utility to control some aspects of Win10--no embedded crap in the download or anything like that.

Since I use an adblocker in all of my browsers, I don't see any of these crap-ads and, I don't know anything about how much control a site has over the ads that are displayed. I do think that it is up to the site owners to make sure that they are not pushing malware ads. The Forbes (a US-based financial magazine) site is well known for that sort of nastiness and it's made worse by the fact that Forbes won't allow access to their site if one is using an adblocker--for me, that means I don't go to their site even before I read about the malware-ads.

Terrie
Old 01-16-2017, 07:44 PM   #18
terrie
Staff

Hey Bo...

Not sure if you have any sort of limits/caps on your broadband access I'd forgotten that with Win10, Microsoft has implemented--and by default it's turned on--"...a new peer-to-peer download feature for updates and Windows Store apps. By default, Windows will automatically use your PC’s Internet connection to upload updates, hiding the option to disable this five clicks deep in the operating system."

A How-To Geek article discusses it and how to play with the settings...

Hope it proves useful...

Terrie