DTP

Lively discussions on the graphic arts and publishing — in print or on the web

Go Back   Desktop Publishing Forum > General Discussions > Hardware & Gadgets

Old 01-09-2017, 07:34 AM   #11
Steve Rindsberg
Staff

>> Have you checked the BIOS/UEFI settings?

LOL! I just ran into the desire, if not immediate need to do that on my desktop. The USB keyboard doesn't come online until later in the boot process starts, so at that point where it says "Press [some-key] to interrupt bootup" (ie and get into the BIOS), the keyboard does nothing. IOW, I need to have the keyboard recognized in order to get it to recognize the keyboard. BIOS by Heller.

I think I need to scare up a PS2 keyboard to make this fly.

As to the laptop, I think it's a matter of a wonky driver (needed for the USB3 port to function). I've had other problems with it ... wouldn't recognize an external HDD unless I went in and dinked with its power settings or some fool thing. I'm pretty sure it's on at boot, though, else how would it know how to see the external hub and stop booting? Heller's been at that part of the BIOS too, I guess.

USB-C: very slim, very fast version of USB that can also carry video, ethernet and other data. This from Apple gives a reasonable explanation; it seems to work pretty much the same way with USB-C ports on Windows computers:

https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT204360

Ah, and monoprice.com is a great place to go for USB-C to WhateverYaGot adapters.

www.pptools.com
and stuff
Steve Rindsberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2017, 11:54 AM   #12
terrie
Staff

Quote:
kelvyn: Good description of cables & connectors
Thanks for that...very helpful...

Terrie
terrie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2017, 11:56 AM   #13
terrie
Staff

Quote:
steve: I've had good luck with Amazon Basics stuff too.
I'd never heard/seen them before Hugh's link. I wonder who makes their stuff? Nice to know the quality is good...

Terrie
Old 01-09-2017, 11:59 AM   #14
terrie
Staff

Quote:
steve: I think I need to scare up a PS2 keyboard to make this fly.
Yepper...that's exactly what I did--had completely forgotten that. It's really a STUPID design! I had thought that UEFI was supposed to be an improvement but, really it's just annoying...'-}}

Thanks for the link...

Terrie
Old 01-09-2017, 04:38 PM   #15
Hugh Wyn Griffith

I think the stub cable is for portability especially for use with laptops or tablets.

I use Amazon nowadays because of Prime and also the pay a percentage of your purchases over to a charity of your choice and we support the Service Dog Project -- check them out! Incredible and they give the dogs free ....

Hugh
Hugh Wyn Griffith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2017, 11:21 AM   #16
terrie
Staff

Quote:
hugh: I think the stub cable is for portability especially for use with laptops or tablets.
Yes...I also think that's the case but I still find it annoying...'-}}

I didn't realize amazon had a charity side...service dogs are indeed very helpful and pretty amazing at what they can do...

Terrie
Old 01-10-2017, 03:59 PM   #17
Hugh Wyn Griffith

See if this takes you to the SmileAmazon site -- then you can see which charities they cover, I think.

Service Dog Project is likely unique in that it breeds, raises and trains Great Danes but they are not of a type liked by the AKC! Although one of the SDP dogs George won the Championship Service Dog award last year.

They are not quite as long legged and more muscular in their legs so that their back is just the right height for a human hand when the arm is dropped down, about human hip level and so just right for a certain type of service harness with the handle not lateral but fore and aft!

Do have a look at their Facebook page: https://www.facebook.com/bellaandgeorge/

It's hard to find the best video that covers her history but this one:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hmBVKFPEsV8

does show how she progressed from a wheelchair to crutches and now with George can walk and goes to school -- the freedom George gives her.

She's recently had some foot surgery so her Facebook as a lot currently about how that is progressing and some current problems.

Two amazing things about the SDP dogs:

in practice the dogs choose their human and SDP gives the dogs to their partner without any charge and it costs about $20,000 to get them to be ready.

How intelligent they are and sense when their partner needs help -- there's a bit of video in the Doctors program where Bella is playing outdoors and falls -- George runs to her and helps her to get up again.

Carlene White who created SDP and runs it as a charity tells a lovely story of the difference between Great Danes and Labs, the other breed used for so many Service Dogs.

If you take a Lab outside and throw a ball for it, it will run and bring it back for you to throw again and you can go on doing this and the lab will bring the ball back.

Do that with a Great Dane and it too will happily run and fetch the ball but after doing this a few times it will leave the ball and come back, stand alongside you and wait: in effect saying, well I guess you don't want that thing if you keep throwing it away every time I bring it back. What do you want me to do!

Hugh
Old 01-11-2017, 04:51 PM   #18
terrie
Staff

Thanks for the links.

When I worked for Sperry--I did training--there was a wonderful woman who attended classes periodically. If I'm remembering correctly, she had cerebral palsy. She had the most marvelous service dog, "Genna"--it's funny that I can remember the dog's name but not the human's name. We were always excited when we found out that this woman was coming to class because we got to see Genna.

Service dogs are magical beings...

Terrie

Last edited by terrie; 01-12-2017 at 02:51 PM. Reason: fix a typo
Old 01-11-2017, 06:42 PM   #19
Hugh Wyn Griffith

Yes, now that we follow SDP we see so many examples and not just with their Great Danes.

And a while back while shopping in Publix I turned into an aisle where there was a youngish man in wheelchair with a Lab Service Dog and when I commented how wonderful they are to the older woman she said yes her son has Epilepsy and the Service Dog detects one oncoming and alerts them in time to be prepared.

Hugh
Old 01-12-2017, 02:51 PM   #20
terrie
Staff

Labs are the most common breed I've seen as service dogs but I believe Genna was a golden retriever if I'm remembering correctly.

Terrie