DTP

Lively discussions on the graphic arts and publishing — in print or on the web

Go Back   Desktop Publishing Forum > General Discussions > Hardware & Gadgets

Old 01-10-2017, 04:33 PM   #1
Bo Aakerstrom

Default Leaving Penguin Land But Not Forever

A couple of weeks ago my laptop (an old HP Pavilion DV5 that I bought refurbished) committed suicide by electrocution. The charger shorted out with the expected outcome... Mustn't grumble, I had 6 years + of heavy use out of it.

During recent years I've been using Linux in various guises. Lately I come to really like KDE Neon. The HP came with Vista, so who can blame me for getting rid of that...

Decided to get a Windows Laptop as replacement - buying a Mac right now doesn't really float my boat, and should I want to install KDE Neon later I can always install it and run the laptop as a dual boot system.

Discovered that Windows 10 is very "Linux like" - which was a pleasant surprise. I might get to actually like using it as I get used to it! Oh, I got one of these: http://www.currys.co.uk/gbuk/computi...53659-pdt.html and I'm very pleased with it so far.

Now to the reason for this post: I've disabled some of the default "services" so I should be safe in that respect. Updates seems to change some settings back to the default values - is there a way to prevent this, or at least making it easy to set the back to what I want them to be?

Old 01-10-2017, 07:41 PM   #2
Hugh Wyn Griffith

Looks like a good machine.

Curry's doesn't say so far as I can see but did it come with Windows 10 Home or Pro?

With the current AE upgrade of Windows 10 Home there is little that you can do but tell Windows not to install updates during certain hours so that you aren't in the middle of doing something and find it suddenly saying "We are upgrading your computer ....... you have to restart your computer to complete the upgrade .... Do it Now? (and maybe or Later)

This is "Don't during these hours" a setting tucked away and I can look it up tomorrow or you will find it on most of the helpful Windows 10 sites.

If you have Pro then in the next major upgrade in a couple of months you can actually tell it to delay upgrades for a considerable period of time, eg several months. But you can't get the old Windows 7 set of "tell me what's available but don't download or install unless I tell you to ".

Here is the current position on this:

https://www.thurrott.com/windows/win...10-isnt-enough

Here are some other useful sites:

http://winsupersite.com/

http://www.windowscentral.com/window...&utm_source=wc

https://www.tenforums.com/

https://www.thurrott.com/windows/windows-10

Hugh
Hugh Wyn Griffith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2017, 03:04 AM   #3
Bo Aakerstrom

Thanks for those links. I'll make sure to have a good look at all of them.

It's the home version. Which should be just fine. For me.

Did find the setting to delay installing updates etc. which is a step forward, but still short of what I'm used to from the Linux option of "there are updates available, would you like to download the now?".

I found an article on Techcrunch that confirms Microsoft has joined the Linux Foundation, so there might be hope for the future - although I'm sure Microsoft can find their own angle on stuff.
https://techcrunch.com/2016/11/16/mi...ux-foundation/

Old 01-11-2017, 08:25 AM   #4
Hugh Wyn Griffith

Quote:
still short of what I'm used to from the Linux option of "there are updates available, would you like to download the now?".
That's what used to be in Windows 7 plus download and let me decide when to install and Don't tell me (which I think a bit stupid).

For the vast majority of Windows users I do believe the fully automatic is best since they have no basis for judging whether to reject anything and recovery in Windows 10 is better than anything previously.

The best thing to do with Windows 10 when you are new and not used to it, especially if this is your first touchscreen Windows, is just to play around and see what happens.

I've been using 8 & 10 since getting a hybrid ASUS T200 -- and not having used the "smart or touch" features of my not very smartphone to any great degree since I don't have a data plan in it -- and I'm just getting used to pinch etc movements on the touch screen and remembering that the touchpad still moves the cursor around for things I try to do with a finger tip, like selecting a bit of text.

Keypad shortcuts with the laptop are more and more useful.

Hugh
Old 01-11-2017, 10:23 AM   #5
Bo Aakerstrom

I don't have a touchscreen, I'm still undecided of what use that would be on a laptop. Other than leaving fingerprints on the screen...

Getting to know the precision touchpad - two, three and four finger actions, plus pinch and whatever the opposite of that is called, which I do think is useful. I would not want to use my laptop without a mouse, but it is handy nevertheless.

Old 01-11-2017, 11:25 AM   #6
Hugh Wyn Griffith

I agree -- I thought at first glance it was one of the kind where you can rotate the keyboard behind the screen and get a tablet-equivalent. Although I would not want that kind of hybrid -- on mine the screen pulls off and acts as an independent tablet.

The keyboard unit just has the keyboard and touchpad and a place to put a HDD or SSD.

Hugh
Old 01-11-2017, 04:40 PM   #7
terrie
Staff

Oh Bo! You've gone to the dark side with Windows 10 and even worse, the Home version...ewww...ugh!!!

Sorry...just couldn't resist...'-}}

>>Updates seems to change some settings back to the default values - is there a way to prevent this, or at least making it easy to set the back to what I want them to be?

There is word coming down the pike that Microsoft is making noises about allowing users to control updates but I'm not sure when it will kick in. If you've not looked at O&OShutup10, then do so immediately because from what I've read, it's quite helpful.

The links Hugh mentioned should help a lot too...

Terrie
terrie is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2017, 04:44 PM   #8
terrie
Staff

Quote:
bo: but still short of what I'm used to from the Linux option of "there are updates available, would you like to download the now?".
That does seem like a reasonable approach but Microsoft in its infinite wisdom declared that approach to be null and void with Windows 10 (which is, of course, why many people (like me...'-}}) avoided it at all costs).

The above stated and as I noted in my other reply, I've read that Microsoft's crap approach to updating may be changing. I'll see if I can find the info on it and report back.

Later Edit: Ok...found the info on Win10 updating changes. It's a betanews article "Microsoft finally lets users pause updates in Windows 10". There is also another betanews article on privacy changes "Microsoft makes big privacy changes to Windows 10 in a bid to win back user trust"....

Hope those prove useful...'-}}

Terrie

Last edited by terrie; 01-11-2017 at 05:26 PM. Reason: add link for updating changes article
terrie is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2017, 06:46 PM   #9
Hugh Wyn Griffith

I don't trust any site that has

up at the top of an article.

There are NO utilities that will reliably do that and can safely be used by people who don't know more than the utility does.

Hugh
Old 01-12-2017, 02:24 AM   #10
Bo Aakerstrom

Don't worry, even I know that!