DTP

Lively discussions on the graphic arts and publishing — in print or on the web

Go Back   Desktop Publishing Forum > General Discussions > Software

Old 10-27-2016, 02:55 PM   #1
terrie
Staff

Default Win 7/8/8.1 & Microsoft...do you feel the water boiling yet?

According to Woody Leonhard's article in Info World "Microsoft previews telemetry push with new Win7/8.1 patches KB 3192403, 3192404", the pot of water is getting a lot warmer so we frogs and lobsters might well start to be alarmed.

Three (KB 3192403 for Windows 7, KB 3192404 for Windows 8.1, and KB 3192406 for Windows Server 2012) of the seven updates Microsoft recently released deal with adding snooping capabilities to Windows 7/8.1 and may be linked/entwined with Microsoft's "Customer Experience Improvement Program" (I've turned this off on my Win7 system) and "DiagTrack" which I don't have on my system since I've not allowed Windows Updates.

Currently, these updates are listed as a test--they are unchecked, optional updates. How many users will howl with pain when these updates are installed by the clueless?

"Bottom line: Those users who install KB 3192403 or KB 3192404 should expect a greatly enhanced DiagTrack subsystem that provides unknown kinds of telemetry to Microsoft, with no easy way to switch it off."

"Tero Alhonen has noticed something uncanny about the patches: The KB 3192403 and KB 3192404 articles include wording that's basically identical to that found in KB 3192441, which is the Oct. 11 cumulative update for Windows 10 version 1511. They have the same telemetry upload points and registry entries. It sure looks like Windows 10-class snooping is coming to Windows 7 and 8.1."

Feel the heat yet...'-}}

Terrie
terrie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2016, 05:15 PM   #2
Steve Rindsberg
Staff

Let the camel's nose into the tent and it'll trample you in your sleeping bag.

www.pptools.com
and stuff
Steve Rindsberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2016, 04:01 AM   #3
Barrie Greed

Terrie

Quote:
"Bottom line: Those users who install KB 3192403 or KB 3192404 should expect a greatly enhanced DiagTrack subsystem that provides unknown kinds of telemetry to Microsoft, with no easy way to switch it off."
Woody is a bit of a drama queen at times. Diagnostics tracking is easily dealt with. Hit the Windows button, type 'services', select component services, scroll down to 'diagnostics tracking', double click it, switch start type to disabled, hit the stop button. Job done.

A bit of work but hardly "no easy way to turn it off".

Barrie Greed
Barrie Greed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2016, 07:15 AM   #4
Bo Aakerstrom

Something the majority of windows users would be totally ignorant of. But easy if you know how.

Old 10-28-2016, 08:14 AM   #5
Steve Rindsberg
Staff

>> Diagnostics tracking is easily dealt with. Hit the Windows button, type 'services', select component services, scroll down to 'diagnostics tracking', double click it, switch start type to disabled, hit the stop button. Job done.

Until MS turns it back on again, possibly. Is there any way to know w/o constantly checking? That's one of my biggest gripes with all this crap from MS, that maintaining it turns into a career.

I guess I don't have diags tracking installed on this laptop, since the option doesn't appear in the list.

By the way, ISTR that until I bumped my Win10 box to Pro from Home, I didn't have the services.msc plugin. Or it was disabled. Does that sound right?

www.pptools.com
and stuff
Old 10-28-2016, 02:28 PM   #6
terrie
Staff

Quote:
steve: Let the camel's nose
Good one! '-}}

Terrie
Old 10-28-2016, 02:47 PM   #7
terrie
Staff

Quote:
barrie: scroll down to 'diagnostics tracking', double click it, switch start type to disabled, hit the stop button. Job done.
In the article, he references an earlier article on telemetry (April 2015 so it's a bit old) but the same KB (2952664) recently reappeared and he's not sure that turning off, choosing "no I don't want to participate" actually stops the data flow to Microsoft. It may well be that those actions do turn off the tap but it's too early to say definitively.

My take from reading the article is twofold. First, what exactly is being telemetered? If Microsoft would answer that question, it would be helpful. Secondly, the trend over the last few years has been a reduction, if not outright elimination of, user choice within the Windows environment which makes me suspicious of Microsoft's actions--suspicious enough that I have not only set Windows Update to "never" but have also set Windows Update Service to "disabled" and in a full belt and suspenders move, using gpedit, I have set "Prevent Windows Anytime Upgrade" to "enabled".

As always...YMMV...'-}}

Terrie
Old 10-28-2016, 03:04 PM   #8
terrie
Staff

Quote:
steve: Pro from Home, I didn't have the services.msc plugin. Or it was disabled. Does that sound right?
I can't check my old WinXP/Home system (why I let the builder talk me into the Home version is a mystery for the ages) but I'm pretty sure that services.msc (Control Panel > Administrative Tools > Services) is available in XP/Home and Win7/8/8.1 Home (Home Premium?) but, gpedit is only available in Pro/Ultimate/Enterprise editions.

Terrie
Old 10-30-2016, 10:22 AM   #9
Steve Rindsberg
Staff

Ah, it's GPEDIT I was thinking of. You're right.

www.pptools.com
and stuff
Old 10-30-2016, 12:08 PM   #10
terrie
Staff

Access to gpedit is one of the major reasons I've always gone with the pro version of Windows...

Terrie