DTP

Lively discussions on the graphic arts and publishing — in print or on the web

Go Back   Desktop Publishing Forum > General Discussions > Software

Old 10-08-2016, 01:27 PM   #11
terrie
Staff

Quote:
hugh: that Tbird had a fundamental flaw in its structure in that if one message folder became corrupted all your saved messages were lost since they were in fact in one folder
I don't think that issue is a problem only in Thunderbird. I think that most, if not all, "older" email software was designed that way because they used "mbox" (as Steve has noted in his reply).

Current versions of Thunderbird (starting with version 38), offer a newer option, "maildir", in which each email within a folder (Inbox, Sent, user-defined folder) is a single file and this approach is supposed to help reduce mailbox/email folder corruption.

I've never use any of the Microsoft approaches for email, primarily because I don't trust Microsoft just as I don't trust any ISP-based email offerings...'-}}

Terrie
terrie is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2016, 01:30 PM   #12
terrie
Staff

Quote:
steve: I never used TBird, but wasn't it based on Eudora and uses MBox standard filing for emails?
Yes...

>>Then again, maybe they've "improved" things to the point where corruption can truly take you out of the game.

As I noted in my reply to Hugh, "maildir" is supposed to help reduce, if not eliminate corruption issues...

Terrie
Old 10-08-2016, 06:39 PM   #13
Hugh Wyn Griffith

You both know more about all this than I do .... easy enough ....

Hugh
Hugh Wyn Griffith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2016, 06:40 PM   #14
Hugh Wyn Griffith

But you use Windows?

Hugh
Old 10-09-2016, 02:54 PM   #15
Kass Johns

Location: At the base of Pikes Peak in Colorado Springs, Colorado

No, I haven't looked at Thunderbird, but I will. I use my own domain for my emails. I was at 27 email accts with 150 mailboxes with about 100 filters. I just whittled my email accts down to 15 last week. I can easily whittle the mailboxes down. I hope to streamline it all over the coming weeks as I prepare to migrate to the new laptop. Now that I have the iPhone 7, I am chomping at the bit to migrate from OS10.6.8 to newer for syncing ease. I had hoped the iPhone's human interface would make me more comfy with the new laptop's track pad (that whole left & right click concept just annoys me). Sure enough my iPhone 7 worked, I am ready to migrate now... all I have left is my email client... I just wish now that I had the time to spend like three days & nights (nonstop/uninterrupted) to cleanup what is needed for that migration. So, I have been doing what I can over recent weeks as time permits. Keeping track of where I am at in the process has proved challenging.
Kass Johns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2016, 03:06 PM   #16
terrie
Staff

Quote:
hugh: But you use Windows?
Who is "you"? I use Windows as does Steve and Kass is mac-based...

Terrie
Old 10-09-2016, 03:10 PM   #17
terrie
Staff

Quote:
kass: to cleanup what is needed for that migration. So, I have been doing what I can over recent weeks as time permits. Keeping track of where I am at in the process has proved challenging.
I can just begin to imagine!!! Sort of like beating your head against a wall because it feels so good when you stop? '-}}

Do look at both Thunderbird and into using "maildir". There is what might be a useful discussion at dslreports on maildir in Thunderbird and Mozilla's wiki on both might also prove of value.

Keep us posted...

Terrie
Old 10-09-2016, 04:19 PM   #18
Hugh Wyn Griffith

You is you!

Quote:
I've never use any of the Microsoft approaches for email, primarily because I don't trust Microsoft just as I don't trust any ISP-based email offerings...'-}}

Hugh
Old 10-10-2016, 12:08 PM   #19
terrie
Staff

Indeed I is...'-}}

Terrie
Old 10-10-2016, 04:41 PM   #20
annc
Sysop

Location: Subtropical Queensland, Australia, between the mountains and the Coral Sea

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kass Johns View Post
Hi all,

I am asking here, my most trusted advisors...
I know this has little to do w/publishing.

I think it was Ann who originally recommended ForgotIt? to me for my laptop. LOVE IT! If you are a ForgotIt? user, what do you recommend for the iPhone with similar simplicity and dependibilty? Or at least maybe something that can import my PW list from ForgotIt?

tia,
k
Yes, it was me and I still use and love ForgotIt. I paid the Shareware fee about a hundred years ago and have never been asked for another payment. When I got into strife forgetting my ForgotIt password and emailed the author, he was very quick to respond and sympathetic about my brain fart, but couldn't help me. I eventually found a clue elsewhere on the Mac and was able to get back in.

As for my iOS devices, I've never even looked for an app to store passwords. I don't actually seem to need it often there (still do major stuff needing passwords on the Mac, or have ones I use so often that I don't forget them. When I'm at home using my iPhone (in bed at night, usually) and need one I've forgotten, I dash into my office and use ForgotIt on the laptop.

I should probably try to find one for iOS, but know that I'd want to use the cloud so that I can synch my iPad and iPhone.