DTP

Lively discussions on the graphic arts and publishing — in print or on the web

Go Back   Desktop Publishing Forum > General Discussions > Software

Old 10-01-2016, 02:04 PM   #1
terrie
Staff

Default Microsoft supposedly removing Win10 nagware

According to an article in ComputerWorld, Microsoft has released an update to Win7/8/8.1 which "...removes the Get Windows 10 app and other software related to the Windows 10 free upgrade offer that expired on July 29, 2016".

ComputerWorld's "Microsoft scrubs Windows 7 PCs of upgrade nagware" article states, "...the removal process strips seven previous updates that were force fed beginning in early 2015"--including the infamous "Get Windows 10" application (GWX).

Of course, if you had blocked all Windows updates on your Windows 7/8/8.1 system (or driven yourself crazy by trying to manually select which updates to install), then your system was never infected with the nagware...'-}}

Terrie

Last edited by terrie; 10-02-2016 at 03:09 PM. Reason: fix a typo
terrie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2016, 10:17 AM   #2
Steve Rindsberg
Staff

I love it ... you have to trust Microsoft to update your system in a way that allegedly fixes the problem that caused you to lose all trust in MS updates in the first place.

As. If.

www.pptools.com
and stuff
Steve Rindsberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2016, 03:09 PM   #3
terrie
Staff

Quote:
steve: As. If.
Indeed!!! '-}}

Terrie
Old 10-06-2016, 02:46 PM   #4
terrie
Staff

Well...Microsoft has done it again...Woody Leonard in his "Detested snooping patch KB 2952664 reappears Detested 'Get Windows 10' snooping patch KB 2952664 reappears" article reports that the infamous KB2952664 has reappeared:

"...but the bottom line is that KB 2952664, a prerequisite for the KB 3035583 "Get Windows 10" nagware patch, is specifically designed to provide telemetry (that is, snoop) to see if a direct upgrade to Windows 10 will perform correctly."

Microsoft responded with: "There is no Get Windows 10 or upgrade functionality contained in this update"

My question to Microsoft is: Why give the update a previously used (and infamous) KB number rather than a new (unencumbered) number?

Terrie
Old 10-06-2016, 04:33 PM   #5
Hugh Wyn Griffith

Have a look at this that I posted over in Norton when someone there posted this reference to Woody's post:

Quote:

Woody added to his post, this comment

"I've just been told of a significant reason why some folks may want to install this new version of 2952664. It looks like the patch is used by the Windows Update Analytics service - and this is their telemetry hook.
I stand corrected: If you expect to use the Windows Update Analytics service, you need this patch.
and my additional comment, FWIW:

Quote:
Looking at this: https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/WindowsForBusiness/upgrade-analytics (link is external) I don't see any reason for anyone to want it unless they are running an Enterprise Version ... or wished they were?
The Windows Upgrade Analytics Service uses telemetry data (link is external) to provide powerful upgrade readiness insights and recommendations about the computers, applications and drivers in your organization. This new service guides you through upgrade projects using a workflow based on Microsoft recommended practices. Up-to-date inventory data allows you to balance cost and risk in your upgrade projects.
[ ... ]
Our goal is to give you the same powerful tools that Microsoft uses to deploy bulk upgrades to Windows 10.
[ ... ]
now available in public preview .....

Hugh
Hugh Wyn Griffith is offline   Reply With Quote