DTP

Lively discussions on the graphic arts and publishing — in print or on the web

Go Back   Desktop Publishing Forum > General Discussions > Software

Old 10-03-2016, 02:21 PM   #1
Kass Johns

Location: At the base of Pikes Peak in Colorado Springs, Colorado
Default iOS Password keeper app like ForgotIt?

Hi all,

I am asking here, my most trusted advisors...
I know this has little to do w/publishing.

I think it was Ann who originally recommended ForgotIt? to me for my laptop. LOVE IT! If you are a ForgotIt? user, what do you recommend for the iPhone with similar simplicity and dependibilty? Or at least maybe something that can import my PW list from ForgotIt?

tia,
k
Kass Johns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2016, 02:15 PM   #2
terrie
Staff

Is ForgotIt different from something like KeePass/LastPass, etc? Note...I know squatola about any of these as I don't use them.

Terrie
terrie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2016, 10:49 AM   #3
Kass Johns

I have no idea of similarity to other password keepers as I have only ever used ForgotIt? as it was recommended to me (plus it is freeware). I guess I will continue to shop it around with even more research.
Old 10-05-2016, 01:22 PM   #4
Steve Rindsberg
Staff

I had a quick look on the App Store, searched for ForgotIt. A couple of similar sounding products popped up, possibly because they claim to be able to read ForgotIt's files? Worth looking into the details.

I use KeePass so lacked the motivation to look into it any more deeply.

www.pptools.com
and stuff
Steve Rindsberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2016, 06:57 AM   #5
Kass Johns

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Rindsberg View Post
I had a quick look on the App Store, searched for ForgotIt. A couple of similar sounding products popped up, possibly because they claim to be able to read ForgotIt's files? Worth looking into the details.
That's what made me think about importability. I had done a quick look at the App Store and saw KeePass and what it could import. Thanks for checking, BTW.

Quote:
I use KeePass so lacked the motivation to look into it any more deeply.
Do you LIKE KeePass? Is it fairly simple? Well encrypted in your opinion? Any gripes?
Old 10-06-2016, 08:06 AM   #6
Steve Rindsberg
Staff

The main thing I like about KeePass is that it's local. It doesn't store anything in the cloud. That not only gives me that nice warm secure feeling but it also gives me that "I can use this even when connectivity is sucky or nil" glow.

The big "HOWEVER" for you will probably be that it's mainly a Windows app. There are various ways of getting it to work on Mac and iOS and what looks to be a fairly detailed, if geekish, discussion of them here:

https://sourceforge.net/p/keepass/di...read/eb00d276/

I use it primarily on PC then use one utility program or another to move the main KeePass database to the iPhone + iPad where I can get at the data using Mini KeePass, an iOS app. They don't synch automatically, which is a minor nuisance.

I don't know what the story would be for using it on a Mac desktop/laptop. How well it works there might be the deal-maker/breaker for you.

www.pptools.com
and stuff
Old 10-07-2016, 10:12 AM   #7
Kass Johns

Thanks for the feedback. I think I discovered that it was Windows when I did further research yesterday. I found a simple Password manager for iphone & Mac that would probably be best for me and am now in process of streamlining my email addresses/mail boxes, passwords and accounts. It will make it easier in the long run. Still trying to find an email client that will give me same flexibility as Eudora does.

I need an FAQ or article online that is titled "I was a full-use Eudora user and so switched to "XYZ" email when I migrated to newer Mac OS." Too many of my Eudora-using buddies did not use the features of Eudora to the EXTENT I do. I would have thought someone would have written that by now, but alas.

I, too, wish to stay away from the cloud whenever possible. It's just a nightmare waiting to happen. Anything THAT important/needing super security should not go near a cloud. I am thinking of letting my music live on the cloud, however, just for cross device synchronization. I use my phone for music and as a phone & lookup device only. No shopping, no email, etc. I keep one email address for my phone that only I know, to move files back and forth as needed, but that is it. Everything email (my lifeblood) goes to/from laptop.
Old 10-07-2016, 01:31 PM   #8
terrie
Staff

Quote:
kass: Still trying to find an email client that will give me same flexibility as Eudora does.
I'm still using Eudora--pc side--but I also use Thunderbird. While I have all my email accounts defined in Eudora, I only retrieve my cserve and my own domain mail (very, very little email from my domain) in Eudora. I also have all my email accounts defined in Thunderbird but only retrieve my mail.com email account in Tbird.

All of my email accounts in both Eudora and Tbird are POP3. I used IMAP for my mail.com account in Tbird for quite a while but I only really used the IMAP Inbox and Spambox because I set up local folders to save my mail and my Inbox rarely had more than 4-5 emails in it at any one time and the Spambox was always emptied after checking anything that arrived within it.

About a year ago, I had an odd folder pop up in IMAP and I couldn't get rid of it--I checked with mail.com support and they said the folder wasn't theirs. I backed up my mail, deleted the Tbird mail.com account and created a new Tbird mail.com account as POP3 primarily just to make sure that weird IMAP folder was gone for good. I decided to stick with POP3.

Also, I use an older version of Tbird (3.1.15) because it works and as long as it's working, I see no need to move to a newer version.

Have you looked at Thunderbird?

Terrie
terrie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2016, 04:16 PM   #9
Hugh Wyn Griffith

In Windows I use Windows Live Mail which works OK still even in Windows 10.

When I moved to Windows 7, I wanted something that behaved pretty much like Outlook Express in XP and after asking for recommendations I tried Thunderbird and found it met that criteria but not long afterwards some people I respect ask knowledgeable said that Tbird had a fundamental flaw in its structure in that if one message folder became corrupted all your saved messages were lost since they were in fact in one folder ...

Don't ask me to justify that ....

So I tried WLM and found it worked as I wanted it although from memory the importing of OE mail was not smooth. Nothing was lost but maybe due to me, the import did not import the old messages from OE into the same folders under the root but created a Saved Messages section dependent on the root and I could not find a way to copy paste all or some of them to the root of WLM from where they were located.

I think I had to create new folders as wanted and then copy folder contents.

But as I said that could be me since I do know a bit more about the functions in WLM.....

To get it for Windows 8 or 10 you have to download Windows Essentials:

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/...ows-essentials

You can choose to select just WLM either for Download or at Installation -- I don't remember which!

Quote:
Windows Essentials 2012 suite will reach end of support on January 10, 2017
Do I care?

Hugh
Hugh Wyn Griffith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2016, 11:34 AM   #10
Steve Rindsberg
Staff

>> Tbird had a fundamental flaw in its structure in that if one message folder became corrupted all your saved messages were lost since they were in fact in one folder ...

I never used TBird, but wasn't it based on Eudora and uses MBox standard filing for emails? If so, it's true that a corrupt folder could make all of the messages in *that one folder* inaccessible (in fact, I've run into cases where a corrupt message would make all subsequent messages in the folder inaccessible). At the same time, the folder and message structure is all based on text files; if you can sort out which message is the problem (easy: it's the last message you can access or the one just after it) you can open the works up in a text editor and delete the bad actor. And you'd only have problems with the messages in that one folder, not all of them.

Then again, maybe they've "improved" things to the point where corruption can truly take you out of the game.

But then you use WLM so as you say: "Do I care?" Nope. ;-)

I do, but only in the sense that I miss the simplicity of it and really dislike the way Outlook handles things. One really HUGE file with everything in it. Attachments, the works. Talk about courting disaster.

www.pptools.com
and stuff