Lively discussions on the graphic arts and publishing — in print or on the web

Go Back   Desktop Publishing Forum > General Discussions > Software

Old 08-31-2016, 10:10 AM   #11
Hugh Wyn Griffith

Andrew

My new HP (CPU i5-6200U)
Intel HD Graphics 520
8/24/2015

I was having trouble with that driver on my ASUS T200TA Hybrid Laptop with it freezing up the system after a period of watching a video. This is on Windows 10AU

It was suggested that I roll back to a previous version and rather than search for it and hope I got it right I downloaded the INTEL Driver Update Utility from their website and ran it.

It struck me as intelligent since it did not force anything on me but listed what I had and what was the most uptodate drive but I had to say I wanted to change.

It also had a tab for Older Drivers so I clicked on that and it ran and gave me a previous version. I decided to download it and it did that; uninstalled the newer driver; installed the older one and told me to restart the computer.

After that I have not had the freeze problem .....

I'm not saying it is part of your problem since others are making suggestions based on experience with the utility but "if all else fails" .... or even if you want to try it it makes it easy to run it again and put the newer driver in .... or use the Device Manager Roll Back to go back to the newer driver.

Hugh
Hugh Wyn Griffith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2016, 01:29 PM   #12
terrie
Staff

Quote:
andrew: I've looked at the controls for the graphic cards on both computers and there is nothing useful there.
Bummer...not sure what to suggest next...

Have you touched base with DataColor Support to see if they might have a suggstion?

Terrie
terrie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2016, 10:45 PM   #13
Andrew B.
Staff

The Intel driver software said it was modified by vendor. HP has two later drivers but no earlier drivers. I tried the lastest one. No improvement. Then I tried the one right before it and some how did something wrong. I ended up with a Microsoft VGA driver. After a few more attempts to install that driver or any of the others failed. So rolled back Windows.

I think I don't understand how to install these drivers. With the first (successful one), the HP website asks if I want to let it's utility to the install. But after getting the MS VGA driver the HP website no longer would do this. So I tried clicking on the one I had previously downloaded, it seemed to be extracting a bunch of file. But it did not activate the driver. And I could not figure out how to do that manually. As it was extracting all those files I saw one called setup.exe, but I have no idea where it copied these.

Anyway, I just realized HP has a user forum and maybe I should read there.

Old 09-01-2016, 08:45 AM   #14
Hugh Wyn Griffith

Sorry it glitched. The warning about "Modified" seems to be standard on the INTEL driver download utility and is perfectly correct since many apparently the same drivers by ID are modified for different machines especially in the laptop field.

When I ran it it did not show older drivers at the same time as newer ones but there was a separate tab or click on for Older Drivers -- did you get that?

When I download a file, especially drivers or utilities, I never click on the Run query that Windows puts up when the download is ready to start but on Save As (Sometimes a down arrowhead alongside Save ) and point it to a location I set up.

But Windows normally defaults to a folder called Downloads which you can find fairly easily either by looking under Users or by clicking on the user name icon if you have set up the desktop to include the set of icon shortcuts that can be shown --

Right Mouse Click on a blank part of the desktop > Personalize > Change Desktop Icons link in left column ... on Windows 7 but probably under Settings in 10.

Certainly check the HP Forum if you have eliminated the things suggested that are directly related to the ACDsee utility.

Hugh
Old 09-01-2016, 10:47 AM   #15
Andrew B.
Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hugh Wyn Griffith View Post
When I ran it it did not show older drivers at the same time as newer ones but there was a separate tab or click on for Older Drivers -- did you get that?
I was running the HP online interface for drivers. It showed only the latest driver until I clicked a spot that expanded the list to include previous drivers.

Quote:
When I download a file, especially drivers or utilities, I never click on the Run query that Windows puts up when the download is ready to start but on Save As (Sometimes a down arrowhead alongside Save ) and point it to a location I set up.
I know what you are talking about. That's why I was able to save all three versions to my computer in the folder of my choice. The issue I ran into was that if I downloaded and then clicked, it gave me messages about copying files, and then nothing else. And I did not know where it was copying the files.

Quote:
Certainly check the HP Forum if you have eliminated the things suggested that are directly related to the ACDsee utility.
ACDSee is just one example. Windows media player does it too. Every program I've tested shows the problem, unless it has no color management. With ACDSee I was able to turn off color management for photos and it went away. But it has no way to turn it off for movies.

The other thing is it's not simply the garish appearance. It's that with my other computer having color management improved things. With this computer it makes it worse. Using the same software to view things. And with both I was running a profile produced by Datacolor. That's why I think the fault is somewhere in the OS, be is drivers, hardware, or settings.

Old 09-01-2016, 11:37 AM   #16
Hugh Wyn Griffith

Quote:
The issue I ran into was that if I downloaded and then clicked, it gave me messages about copying files, and then nothing else.
Try Right Mouse Click and see if it lists Open archive / Open with (RMC + SHIFT key)/or a reference to what you use to open "zip" files. I use 7-zip since WINZIP went off the rails and that will open most "archives" which is what the downloaded driver files usually are.

That's how I locate the setup.exe file so I can run it.

Since it is general I'd try the HP Forums .....

Good luck!

Hugh
Old 09-01-2016, 12:26 PM   #17
Andrew B.
Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hugh Wyn Griffith View Post
Try Right Mouse Click
Aha! I see what you mean.

Old 09-01-2016, 03:49 PM   #18
Hugh Wyn Griffith