DTP

Lively discussions on the graphic arts and publishing — in print or on the web

Go Back   Desktop Publishing Forum > General Discussions > Software

Old 08-22-2016, 08:33 PM   #1
PrintMan

Default Buying Adobe CS5

Hello,

This is related to the thread about CS but a slightly different angle so I thought I'd make it its own. I've been looking into upgrading to Adobe Illustrator CS5:

However I am a bit short of cash so have been trying to buy Adobe Illustrator CS5 Online - a second hand version. I'm a bit wary though as I have never bought software like this second hand before.

Is it a simple matter of transferring the license? Do they just give me their license key or do we need to make Adobe aware online somehow?

Thanks in advance for any help. I don't want to give someone money for software that I am then unable to use.

Thanks!

Last edited by PrintMan; 08-24-2016 at 09:15 PM.
PrintMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2016, 07:55 AM   #2
Steve Rindsberg
Staff

Have a look here:

https://helpx.adobe.com/x-productkb/...t-license.html

You definitely want the seller to transfer the license to you. Otherwise, you have what amounts to an illegal copy.

The seller cannot upgrade to a newer version (at a reduced upgrade price) then sell the old version. And watch out for educational discounted editions; the license cannot be transferred.

www.pptools.com
and stuff
Steve Rindsberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2016, 01:31 PM   #3
terrie
Staff

Quote:
printman: Is it a simple matter of transferring the license? Do they just give me their license key or do we need to make Adobe aware online somehow?
It's been a long time (eons as far as software goes...'-}}) but when I sold my Photoshop 4 (not CS4 but, regular 4), I just transferred the license (using a link similar to the one Steve pointed to) to the buyer. It's even easier now because it's a PDF form that one can email because if I'm remembering correctly, I mailed the paper transfer to my buyer. As much as Adobe annoys me (and it does annoy me a lot), I've always appreciated that they not only allow license transfer but make the process pretty straightfoward unlike Intuit with the way they say they allow transfers of their QuickBooks Pro software license but when you actually try and do it, they block it.

The tricky bit with buying older Adobe software is to make sure it's not educational software which is not transferrable. I've had good luck with buying via ebay but I'm always cautious making sure the seller has a decent rep. Also, if you don't find what you are looking for one week, wait a bit and then look again (repeat as necessary) because stuff seems to appear in waves where there's nothing or stuff has a really high price and then there's stuff and the price is reasonable--I was looking for MS Office 2010 (UGH!) for my sister and while there was quite a bit listed, the prices were way too high ($150-$160!) so I waited a couple of weeks, checked again and found it for $80-ish...

Hope that helps...

Terrie

Last edited by terrie; 08-24-2016 at 01:21 PM. Reason: fix a typo
terrie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2016, 07:39 PM   #4
PrintMan

Awesome. Thanks for the help!
PrintMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2016, 01:21 PM   #5
terrie
Staff

You're welcome...keep us posted on what you find...

Terrie
terrie is offline   Reply With Quote