DTP

Lively discussions on the graphic arts and publishing — in print or on the web

Go Back   Desktop Publishing Forum > General Discussions > Hardware & Gadgets

Old 06-30-2016, 08:52 AM   #11
Steve Rindsberg
Staff

If the 2000s are as good as the earlier ones, you've got LOTS of motoring miles to go.

As far as I know, ours is still running. I sold it to a guy whose daughter needed it so that she could find and get to a job. She ended up finding work within a few days of getting the car. It was clearly Meant To Be.

And, you have my word on it, as soon as I qualify for a middle-age crisis, I'm getting a Miata. My only fear is that I'm already too old. Are we allowed late-age crises, d'you suppose?

www.pptools.com
and stuff
Steve Rindsberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2016, 04:05 PM   #12
Hugh Wyn Griffith

I hear this from most other Mazda users ....

Dottie's car previous to this was a 1994 Mazda 626 she bought in Spartanburg SC just before we moved down here.

In the UK where I drove a friend's Mazda 323 Hatchback Mazda were considered the Japanese equivalent of BMW for engineering and when I moved here with Dottie I bought the last 323 Hatchback the dealer had which had been used as a demonstrator -- it really was the front end of a full size car like the Protégé but only 2 door + hatch so you didn't feel cramped at shoulder level.

With us, Dottie no longer drives so we don't need 2 cars and my Protégé unfortunately was a souped up model with low profile tires and rides like a hay cart although the other features like moon roof and a bit of extra HP are very nice.

So it's not worth spending maybe near to $1000 on fixing the front suspension and then selling the car and I'm not in a position to do any direct selling to users.

However the man we see at Mazda's service reception referred to it as a soon to be collectable and hinted he wouldn't mind having it to do up ..... so I may see if he'll offer me more than "we buy junk cars" .....

Hugh
Hugh Wyn Griffith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2016, 09:15 AM   #13
Andrew B.
Staff

I just remembered something. I got a factory recall on my Mazda. Something about ignition switch starting a fire or something.

Anyway, I bought the Mazda after spending over a year procrastinating and test-driving every mid-size sedan in my price range and a few coupes.

I'm not one who loves to drive, so most of my test drives were around the block. But with the Mazda, I just kept going down the street. I was enjoying driving it. Which was Mazda's goal back then, when they spent a lot of time testing driver experience.

The only other car I enjoyed driving was a Firebird V8. I had it up on the freeway and my test drive was about to take me too far from the dealer. I asked the sales guy if I should turn back, and he said "no, keep going." I eventually got off the freeway and could not resist the temptation to force rear end to drift out as I made a corner at the bottom of the off-ramp. The Firebird complied like a champ. Fun to drive a rear-wheel-drive car. But I didn't want to buy a car that looked like a batmobile, not to mention that it was difficult to get in and out of. So all that was left was the 1994 Mazda 626. The model I got was LX-V6.

Old 07-07-2016, 03:42 PM   #14
terrie
Staff

Quote:
andrew: I got a factory recall on my Mazda. Something about ignition switch starting a fire or something.
Hope you can get it into the dealer and have it checked...

I have ohhh...8-10 recall notices for my Toyota RAV4 that I have yet to do anything with. The first notice basically stated that it was a heads-up about a problem and that they'd contact me again when they were ready to fix it. I never did anything with the 2nd notice. After a year or so, I received a notice that stated that the original fix was problematic so I'd have to have it done again but since, of course, I never did have it "fixed" the first time, the second fix is still waiting. I really should sit down, go through all the notices to get them organized and then contact a dealer about bringing my car in to have everything done in one go but...that's really at the bottom of my to-do list...'-}}

Terrie
terrie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2016, 07:44 AM   #15
Steve Rindsberg
Staff

We bought our Mazda because of the salesman. It was going to be my wife's car, she was paying for it, and we'd narrowed it down to a couple of different vehicles, any of which would have suited her. One place pulled the "I have to talk to my manager" stunt and left us to stew. We walked out. A couple of the others insisted on talking to me, ignoring her, despite the fact that I'd started out by telling them that it was to be her car and that I was only along for the ride. And then reminding them of this. Several times.

At the Mazda dealership, the sales guy immediately picked up on the situation, had a nice conversation with Herself. The two of them let me chime in from time to time, but basically, I was chopped livah. Just as it should have been.

www.pptools.com
and stuff
Steve Rindsberg is offline   Reply With Quote