DTP

Lively discussions on the graphic arts and publishing — in print or on the web

Go Back   Desktop Publishing Forum > General Discussions > Software

Old 06-27-2016, 12:18 PM   #11
Kass Johns

Location: At the base of Pikes Peak in Colorado Springs, Colorado

Hi Steve,
All the reviews I have read for the last 2 years (while I have researched this topic off and on) tell me that not one of them is GREAT at the conversion. So, for that reason, I plan to maintain my old system w/Eudora to grab old emails if I cannot find them in the newly "converted" stuff.

With MY luck it'll be a matter of "Oh crap, I cannot find that reference on my new system. 'Scuse me while I drive home to look at my old system to find that!" (Like I really want to carry TWO boat anchors to and from work with me every day! I had hoped the new laptop would be considerably lighter in weight, but alas, it is barely lighter!)

The older I get the heavier these things seem to get!
Kass Johns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2016, 12:23 PM   #12
Kass Johns

I do NOT do email on my phone. I always want everything coming in to my laptop to download there. I don't even want to be bothered w email on the phone. Yes, I can leave it on the server to DL to laptop when I next use it, but I just have enough eggs in my basket. Texting is enough hassle w/fat fingers! lol

I ONLY do email to/from my phone to my laptop to/from myself to move data or images if needed. I set up secret email addresses for that purpose that only I know of.
Old 06-27-2016, 12:31 PM   #13
Kass Johns

OMG! I'd die!

It's like when my phone fell into the flood mud in my office (August 2013--4ft deep) and all of my 500 contacts were lost... the same contacts I was going to call to come dig me out of that nightmare! (I've been working for a contractor/development company for ten years and all my subcontractors are in my phone!) Then Sprint (those morons) were of no help, even though I had been paying for a monthly backup of my contacts list at that time! They acted like I was speaking Martian or something!

After lots of screaming on my part, with some bodily threats, I finally received a new phone with the backed up contacts list several days later... several smelly bacteria-laden muddy days later! (Within two weeks, I switched over to Verizon and have been happy ever since!)
Old 06-28-2016, 07:40 AM   #14
Steve Rindsberg
Staff

My whole business and a good chunk of my non-business life runs on email, so being able at least to check for brewing crises when I'm away from the office is a real blessing for me. I can do good works instead of serving Mammon (or just go out and play on a nice day) w/o having to worry about missing anything important. Actually answering emails in any detail, though? On a phone? Painful, especially when it's as likely to be in techspeak. Which mixes very badly with Apple's attempts at "fixing" my spelling.

www.pptools.com
and stuff
Steve Rindsberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2016, 07:45 AM   #15
Steve Rindsberg
Staff

It's a pity that David Harris no longer does Pegasus for Mac. I suspect you'd have been right at home with it; I certainly was when I switched to Peg from Eudora on Windows. Both use the same MBOX format, so the conversion was painless.

Alas, I've since been forced to switch to Outlook, which has a lot of very nice features and a number of irritants that have me giving it a good cussing once or twice a week. I've never used it on Mac though.

www.pptools.com
and stuff
Steve Rindsberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2016, 08:33 AM   #16
Hugh Wyn Griffith

Quote:
I switched over to Verizon and have been happy ever since!
Even under the new owners?

Here in the Tampa Bay area they made a real mess of implementing that with businesses loosing phone and internet service for days with no feedback from Frontier.

Or did the deal not include Colorado?

We were on Verizon copper here for years but gave up when they ran out of replacement junction box covers in the overhead wires and every time it rained ....

They did drape garbage bags over them ...

And then they told us they were not running the FIOS into our Community form the road surrounding it ..... And three months later did just that.

Anyway we added our landline phone onto BrightHouse who were our ISP and TV link and haven't regretted it one minute. Saved about $150 a month by doing so!

Hugh
Hugh Wyn Griffith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2016, 03:24 PM   #17
terrie
Staff

I'm finally back--didn't intend to get sidetracked so long...'-}

I don't know if any of the following will be useful or not and, it may just confuse the issue but...a few weeks ago there was an interesting thread at dslreports.com's Mozilla subforum about using the maildir format (vs. mbox) in Thunderbird which I'd not heard about before. The major point of using maildir is that each email is a file vs. mbox in which all emails are contained within a single file (per mailbox type--e.g. Inbox, Trash, etc.)--see the Mozilla wiki for maildir--and from what I have read both in that thread and in the various links in that thread, maildir might be a really good thing when you've got lots and lots of mail.

As noted, maildir is available in Thunderbird and I don't know if it's available in other email software.

I use both Eudora and Thunderbird. If memory serves, I began using Tbird when my premium (paid, no ads) mail.com email account finally allowed IMAP which allowed me move away from using mail.com's premium email webportal (no @#!! ads) so that I could bring all my mail onto my own system's hard drive--I don't like my mail out there in the wild getting into who knows what trouble...'-}}

At the time I had a large number of folders within the webportal environment--I've had my mail.com account for years and used it for email lists and a number of other things rather than my compuserve account--and I manually moved the mail from each mailfolder into the Inbox, retrieved those emails into Tbird's Inbox, moved all the mail into a newly created Tbird local folder on my hard drive, closed Tbird, moved the next webportal subfolder into the webportal Inbox, opened Tbird to retrieve into Tbird's Inbox, moved the mail to the next newly created Tbird local folder, etc. until everything had been moved to Tbird.

Once I got into a rhythm, it didn't take me all that long to get everything moved. Once the move was completed and checked, I deleted all my subfolders in the webportal and after that point, I only use the webportal to pre-screen my mail deleting spam in the spam folder, moving legitimate mail from the spam folder to my Inbox (pretty rare to have to do that), etc.. In Tbird I used only the IMAP Inbox as I set the Trash and Sent folders to my own Local folders--the IMAP Spambox was also in use but I deleted any mail in there via the webportal--and I kept my Tbird Inbox pretty tidy as I would read, reply and move emails to appropriate local subfolders within a day or so of mail receipt so basically, on the webportal side, there was very little "active" mail within the webportal mailboxes.

A few months ago, this weird new folder popped up in my mail.com account. I checked with mail.com support thinking it was something of theirs but they said it wasn't. I couldn't get rid of it--every time I deleted it on either the webportal or Tbird side it would get recreated. I finally decided after backing up my Tbird mail to delete the Tbird mail.com account and create a new account. Not quite sure how but I ended up creating a POP account rather than an IMAP account and I decided that actually worked better for me since I only do mail on my desktop system at home and I just copied my saved/backedup mailboxes into Tbird's new POP mail.com account and off I went. I also created an Tbird IMAP account for that mail.com account but I don't use it--that odd mailbox never appeared again.

While I have all of my email accounts defined in Eudora, I only regularly retrieve mail from my compuserve account--I still consider it my primary email account. As I have moved from pc system to pc system over the years (had a new system custom built last September), I just copy my Eudora Data Folder ("EudoraMail") from system to system--the Eudora Data Folder is on the same partition (I have a partition set up just for software), but separate folder, as the Eudora software. I have a large volume of subfolders within Eudora but probably not anywhere near as many as you said you have.

I've never used filters in either Tbird or Eudora...not sure why other than having to root around in various subfolders--I have about 90--that it's easier for everything to come to my Inbox and I then I move it to the appropriate subfolder when I've finished with it.

I don't really know much about what other email software is available but on the whole I've found Tbird workable--I am using a very old version (3.1.15) because my feeling is, if it works, why update--but if you find that maildir might be something you want to use, then you need to use a more current version than I have been using--maildir was first available in version 38 and 46 is the most current version.

I think whatever you decide to use, it's going to be a bitch and a half to get all your mail over to the new system and you just have to decide to do it...'-}}

Terrie

Last edited by terrie; 06-29-2016 at 03:41 PM. Reason: fix a typo
terrie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2016, 03:42 PM   #18
terrie
Staff

Quote:
hugh: Or did the deal not include Colorado?
No...it was TX, FL and CA that went from Verizon to Frontier but I thought that was just FiOS, not Verizon Wireless (cell phones). Did Wireless go to Frontier also?

Terrie
Old 06-29-2016, 07:09 PM   #19
Hugh Wyn Griffith

I'm not sure since we left them we do our best to forget! We use AT&T for cell phones.

Hugh
Hugh Wyn Griffith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2016, 08:07 PM   #20
terrie
Staff

Ahhh...I really think it was just FiOS that went to Frontier because Verizon is very hot on their wireless business--it's basically why FiOS went to Frontier in FL, TX and CA and, Verizon may well divest themselves in all states with FiOS eventually...

Terrie