DTP


 
Lively discussions on the graphic arts and publishing — in print or on the web


Go Back   Desktop Publishing Forum > General Discussions > Fonts & Typography

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-02-2016, 07:02 PM   #1
Andrew B.
Staff
 
Andrew B.'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Los Angeles, California
Posts: 3,501
Default Instead of comic sans

I was curious to see what people here suggest as a replacement for Comic Sans. The context here is a non-pro friend wants you to suggest one or two without getting into specifics about a project. IOW, for general use.

https://kerileebeasley.com/2015/03/1...with-a-true-a/

http://www.blogclarity.com/ditch-tha...to-comic-sans/

   
__________________
fallberry.com
Andrew B. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2016, 06:43 PM   #2
terrie
Staff
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Posts: 8,919
Default

Hmmmm...

From the kerilee site, I'd choose--in my preference order: architect's daughter, Ubunto Regular Italic, Hattori Hanzo Light Italic


From the blogclarity site, I'd choose--in my preference order: Cartoonist Hand, SketchNote Text Regular


Of the choices, I think Cartoonist Hand might be the best one...


Terrie
terrie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2016, 08:22 PM   #3
Andrew B.
Staff
 
Andrew B.'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Los Angeles, California
Posts: 3,501
Default

Interesting. I like your first choice from both sites, even though the lower case "f" bugs me a little in both.

The creator of Architect's Daughter has some interesting fonts on her site

   
__________________
fallberry.com
Andrew B. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2016, 11:53 PM   #4
annc
Sysop
 
annc's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: Subtropical Queensland, Australia, between the mountains and the Coral Sea
Posts: 4,434
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew B. View Post
I was curious to see what people here suggest as a replacement for Comic Sans. The context here is a non-pro friend wants you to suggest one or two without getting into specifics about a project. IOW, for general use.

https://kerileebeasley.com/2015/03/1...with-a-true-a/

http://www.blogclarity.com/ditch-tha...to-comic-sans/
I just have to say that I really, really dislike Daniela from the first site. The kerning drove me crazy just reading the sample text.

And while we're on sample text, why do people so often use 'jumped' instead of 'jumps'? Don't they understand that the whole idea of that text is to include all alpha characters in the western alphabet? I see it so often now with 'jumped' instead of 'jumps' that I'm wondering if there's an entire generation of people who use it without any history or thinking behind the selection.

   
__________________
annc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2016, 02:29 AM   #5
Barrie Greed
Member
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Stringston, Somerset,UK
Posts: 111
Default

I would go with Cartoonist's Hand too.

Personally I prefer both f and z to have descender tails in script fonts but as Cartoonist Hand is well to the print end of the cursive/print continuum I could live with it.


Barrie Greed
Barrie Greed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2016, 08:05 AM   #6
Steve Rindsberg
Staff
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Posts: 6,713
Default

Bah. Harrumph. They're ruining the language. I see more examples of it everyday.

Yes. Everyday. That was deliberate. I saw it just last night on signs that are probably out there in the parking lot of every Kroger store in the US. (For you non-USians, Kroger is one of, if not the, biggest grocery store chain/s here)

   
__________________
Steve Rindsberg
====================
www.pptfaq.com
www.pptools.com
and stuff
Steve Rindsberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2016, 01:45 PM   #7
terrie
Staff
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Posts: 8,919
Default

Quote:
andrew: even though the lower case "f" bugs me a little in both.
Just took a quick look and it doesn't bother me at all...'-}}



>>The creator of Architect's Daughter has some interesting fonts on her site

I like "KG Neatly Printed" quite a bit...



Terrie
terrie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2016, 01:48 PM   #8
terrie
Staff
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Posts: 8,919
Default

Quote:
ann: eally dislike Daniela from the first site. The kerning drove me crazy just reading the sample text.
I agree...but the "x" in Aller Light Italic gives me the twitchies...'-}}



>>if there's an entire generation of people who use it without any history or thinking behind the selection.

Yes...'-}}



Terrie
terrie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2016, 01:49 PM   #9
terrie
Staff
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Posts: 8,919
Default

Quote:
steve: every Kroger
Shouldn't that be "everykroger"?? '-}}


Terrie
terrie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2016, 03:46 PM   #10
annc
Sysop
 
annc's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: Subtropical Queensland, Australia, between the mountains and the Coral Sea
Posts: 4,434
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Rindsberg View Post
Bah. Harrumph. They're ruining the language. I see more examples of it everyday.

Yes. Everyday. That was deliberate. I saw it just last night on signs that are probably out there in the parking lot of every Kroger store in the US. (For you non-USians, Kroger is one of, if not the, biggest grocery store chain/s here)
There's a producer of dairy products here that services the major supermarkets, so its trucks are seen everywhere. The slogan on these trucks is supposed to tout the quality of their product and goes something like 'The best quality – everyday', thus undoing the first part of the slogan with the last word. I've been meaning to point this out to them for something like 15 years.

   
__________________
annc is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Comic Sans & the Antichrist...'-}} terrie Fonts & Typography 2 05-03-2015 12:29 PM
Comic Sans history (video) ktinkel Fonts & Typography 4 02-14-2009 05:14 PM
Hate Comic Sans? iamback Fonts & Typography 4 07-30-2008 01:33 PM
Ban Comic Sans Howard White Fonts & Typography 6 12-10-2006 12:33 AM


All times are GMT -8. The time now is 12:55 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.9
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Contents copyright 2004–2014 Desktop Publishing Forum and its members.