DTP

Lively discussions on the graphic arts and publishing — in print or on the web

Go Back   Desktop Publishing Forum > General Discussions > Hardware & Gadgets

Old 03-22-2016, 07:48 PM   #31
Andrew B.
Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by terrie View Post
...speaking of videos, there are 5 of them on MicroCenter's OfficeJet 5740 "Overview" page.

Be aware that the HP-Instant-Ink...
Terrie
Thanks for the info!

Old 03-22-2016, 11:13 PM   #32
terrie
Staff

You're welcome...those videos are some sort of movie file so I don't know if they will play for you...

Terrie
terrie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2016, 07:06 AM   #33
Steve Rindsberg
Staff

Could be, but my buddy's happy, I'm happy and this particular can 'o worms will remain sealed for now. ;-)

www.pptools.com
and stuff
Steve Rindsberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2016, 09:01 AM   #34
Hugh Wyn Griffith

Quote:

using the separate
photo paper tray.
A very useful feature that the OJ Pro 8100 does not have and that I miss from my previous printer.

Downside

Quote:

2 (1 black, 1 Tri-color [cyan, magenta, yellow])
Would kill it for me since the three inks in a tricolor (cartridge?) never run out together including using cyan when printing black unless to set it specifically not to.

The OJPro 8100 uses 4 cartridges and the "tricolor" pack is a pack of 3 cartridges that you can load individually.

What the heck is "Instant Ink"?

BTW I find that the HP website works much better if you open it in FireFox rather than IE

Hugh
Hugh Wyn Griffith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2016, 12:03 PM   #35
terrie
Staff

Quote:
steve: Could be, but my buddy's happy
Ahhhh...he's not one of those kind of people who is obsessive about figuring out why/how--like me who tried upteenmillion (well...15-20) different HP drivers on my HP2200D...'-}}

He's probably pretty smart to be happy and let it go...

Terrie
Old 03-23-2016, 12:12 PM   #36
terrie
Staff

Quote:
hugh: What the heck is "Instant Ink"?
It's a program where HP monitors your ink usage on your printer and sends you inkcarts--some for free--which doesn't sound all that bad until you really think about the "monitoring" part. From what I read at amazon, if you decided you don't want to participate in the program, HP sends some sort of signal to the printer to make it non-functional. This sounds a bit much but, given the program's semi-creepiness, I wouldn't be interested in the program anyway.

Ok...so I went to get the full inkcart scoop on HP's instant ink program:

"HP Instant Ink is an ink cartridge replacement service. To participate, enroll your HP Instant Ink eligible printer in an Instant Ink plan. The plan charges a fee based on the number of pages you print each month. The printer sends ink level information to HP, and when the printer runs low on ink, replacement ink cartridges are shipped to you. You do not need to purchase replacement ink cartridges from retail stores when you are enrolled in HP Instant Ink."

The inkcarts (spycarts?) are different from regular inkcarts: "Your credit or debit card is billed 30 days after you insert your first HP Instant Ink cartridges."

In addition to your "...name, shipping address, city, state, zip code, email, printer model, ink cartridge type, date of service registration":

"HP only monitors printer usage, type of device used to send a print job (for example, PC, tablet, smartphone, and so forth), and the type of document (photo, PDF, Word doc) in order to give you a better customer experience. We do not monitor the content you print." [bold, mine]

Let's have an HP employee come live in your house--virtually, of course, so no need to tidy up or provide a bed, shower and food...'-}}

I'm sure there are any number of people who will think this is a good deal but, really, you are still paying for ink and you've just given away an incredible amount of information to both HP and the store where you purchased the printer. Why? would anyone do this?

>>BTW I find that the HP website works much better if you open it in FireFox rather than IE

Then is must be really bad in IE because it's pretty nasty in FF. One thing that drives me absolutely nuts about HP's website is that when you are looking at say the "master page" for a group of printers (OfficeJets or AIO's, etc.) you can't right-click, open in a new window. It's very aggravating when trying to research different printers and, no, their compare option doesn't quite cut it.

I suspect HP has been infected with the new design theory that everyone!!! is accessing their website on a tablet.

UGH! '-}}

Terrie

Last edited by terrie; 03-23-2016 at 02:08 PM. Reason: fix a typo
Old 03-23-2016, 02:31 PM   #37
Hugh Wyn Griffith

Oh yes I remember Instant Ink now; one of the users in CIS was using it and very pleased.

I checked it out and although it turned up on my printer monitoring, according to HP my OJ Pro was not eligible.

But they kept on nagging me for a while about using it .... Now they just nag when a cartridge gets low with the usual frighteners of the horrible things that will happen to me!

I think the "special cartridges" means less ink .....

Hugh
Hugh Wyn Griffith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2016, 03:01 PM   #38
terrie
Staff

Quote:
hugh: Now they just nag when a cartridge gets low with the usual frighteners of the horrible things that will happen to me!
Oh woe and lamentation!!!! Rending of clothes and gnashing of teeth! '-}}

>>I think the "special cartridges" means less ink

Yeah...that's what I think too...

Terrie
Old 03-24-2016, 08:53 AM   #39
Steve Rindsberg
Staff

Ditto that, Hugh. My first inkjet had a tri-color cartridge and the main user was an employee who was *addicted* to magenta. Heavy coverage of magenta. I'll never buy a printer like that again.

And ditto wishing for a separate paper tray.

And since people are reading reviews, I'll mention another thing that might apply to quite a few of the HP printers in addition to the 8100. I saw some of them dinged in reviews for not being able to do a decent job of printing on photo paper. I ran into the same problem; I popped in a few sheets of the stuff atop whatever normal paper I had loaded in the tray and the results, when it would feed the paper at all, were horrible. Not "Steve's being persnickety" horrible, just plain "not good enough for the trashcan" horrible.

The trick, as it turned out, is not to mix paper stock. Boom. That simple.

I never saw any warnings about this in the docs and it took the HP tech I talked with quite a while to suggest it as a solution (and he was as startled as I was when it actually turned out to be the solution). I'm guessing that the people dinging the printer for this problem in the reviews don't know the trick either. Why would they?

www.pptools.com
and stuff
Old 03-24-2016, 08:58 AM   #40
Steve Rindsberg
Staff

I passed on the whole thing for all the reasons mentioned, but also because my ink usage is very sporadic. I might not print anything for weeks/months, then suddenly have to do a fair amount of color printing, some of it heavy ink coverage stuff. Having the friendly HP Ink Yenta ship me ink when I get into the latter mode wouldn't be of much use; by the time the ink arrived I'd have already used up the existing carts and trundled off to StapleOfficeMicroWarehouse to get more.

www.pptools.com
and stuff