DTP

Lively discussions on the graphic arts and publishing — in print or on the web

Go Back   Desktop Publishing Forum > General Discussions > Hardware & Gadgets

Old 03-18-2016, 03:18 PM   #1
Andrew B.
Staff

Default Shopping HP multifunction

Many months ago, I was shopping for a new printer. You might remember the thread. I ended up deciding on the HP 8600. I don't remember why. And I never made the purchase.

The HP 8600 is no longer available. It has been replaced by the HP 86x0 series. So that's where I'm looking now.

I became curious about whether these can do automatic two-sided to two-sided copying. The spec sheets are confusing regarding this. But I found the thread that discusses this . Apparently the 8610 cannot, but the 8620 and 8630 can.

Also interesting (at least to me because I'm shopping again), is that the 8610 maximum scan size is Flatbed: 8.5 x 11 in; ADF: 8.5 x 14. What's the point having an ADF that's larger than it can scan. But I guess it doesn't hurt, and probably saves them money (not having to make two different ADFs). The 8620/8630 is Flatbed and ADF: 8.5 x 14 in.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf OfficejetPro8610_8620_8630.pdf (195.3 KB, 32 views)

Last edited by Andrew B.; 03-20-2016 at 09:38 AM.
Andrew B. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2016, 03:34 PM   #2
terrie
Staff

That is weird on the ADF but your thinking makes sense to me. I never thought about auto 2-side to 2-side copying but I can see that it would be a good thing to have.

It seems to me that it's a good thing also that you waited...'-}}

Terrie
terrie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2016, 06:29 PM   #3
Andrew B.
Staff

I am also looking at the HP Officejet Pro 6830, but every sales site I visit there is a higher percent of very negative reviews. Which makes me wonder.

Old 03-18-2016, 06:38 PM   #4
terrie
Staff

Just took a quick look at the amazon reviews and they appear to be equally split between 5 stars and 1 stars which is not a good thing. I'd be wondering too...

Terrie
Old 03-18-2016, 09:32 PM   #5
terrie
Staff

Had a thought...I wonder if you should take a look at what Brother has to offer with respect to AIO's?

Terrie
Old 03-18-2016, 09:45 PM   #6
Andrew B.
Staff

I think I looked at (although not in person) every printer that was brought up. Of course, that was back in 2013, which puts some perspective on how life gets in the way of enthusiasm.

Old 03-19-2016, 08:12 AM   #7
Hugh Wyn Griffith

Quote:
8610 maximum scan size is Flatbed: 8.5 x 11 in; ADF: 8.5 x 14. What's the point having an ADF that's larger than it can scan
Don't ADF continuously scan a strip so it presumably could scan 8.5in x 5ft even if you could not print it on the built in printer?

I don't know this but isn't it how the scanners so many offices use at the reception desk to copy your record cards etc; they are full width but only a couple of inches in the other direction. See the many such scanners Fujitsu make.

I'm very pleased with my OJ Plus 8600 from the ink point of view once I found out how to stop it adding cyan to black and not having to reset it for every print job but I've never wanted an all-in-one since we only do a limited amount of scanning and my Epson does that nicely but slowly.

A legal situation made me really appreciate the scan to pdf function since we could scan a signed copy of a document and email it and it was accepted by the court in SC as fully legal.

Hugh
Hugh Wyn Griffith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2016, 09:34 AM   #8
Andrew B.
Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hugh Wyn Griffith View Post
Don't ADF continuously scan a strip so it presumably could scan 8.5in x 5ft even if you could not print it on the built in printer?
I was wondering about that too. Also wondering if it could auto-shrink that result to fit onto letter size. And now that I'm thinking about it, I wonder if any of that line can auto-shrink. Because I'm actually zeroing in on the 8620. The footprint is the same and it's only 0.6 inches taller.

8610: 19.7 x 18.5 x 11.8 in (output tray not extended)
8620: 19.7 x 18.5 x 12.4 in (output tray not extended)

Old 03-19-2016, 09:47 AM   #9
Steve Rindsberg
Staff

>> What's the point having an ADF that's larger than it can scan.

I'd guess that's because the ADF moves the paper past the scanner array (giving no real limit to the length of paper it can scan) rather than moving the scanner array past the paper (where the length is limited by the size of the glass and the mechanism that moves the scanner array underneath it).

www.pptools.com
and stuff
Steve Rindsberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2016, 09:54 AM   #10
Steve Rindsberg
Staff

Drat. I wish I could remember the model numbers, but I just spent a ridiculous amount of time trying to get one of the 6xxx series printers installed and working for a friend, after he and his (very computer literate) son had battled it for even longer.

Everything would seem to work as expected and once the driver was installed, it would print from e.g. the Windows Paint program or Acrobat, but not from any of the Office apps, or even from the driver's test page. In fact, in the entire time I've used Windows, the test page feature has always said in effect "OK. I sent something to the printer. You work out whether it printed or not."

This time, it immediately came back with a Printing Failed sort of message. A first.

Points to HP's phone support though. The guy spent quite a while on the problem, I turned him over to my friend when I had to leave and later found that they'd installed a driver for a completely different model (an 86xx series, IIRC) to get it working.

I'll have to circle back with my friend to get the specific model numbers so I can steer folks away from the one he bought.

www.pptools.com
and stuff
Steve Rindsberg is offline   Reply With Quote