DTP

Lively discussions on the graphic arts and publishing — in print or on the web

Go Back   Desktop Publishing Forum > General Discussions > Software

Old 03-15-2016, 10:31 PM   #1
terrie
Staff

Default Windows 10 whether you want it or not...

Microsoft's aggressive push of Windows 10 is getting worse. According to a March 15 Computerworld article describing how Windows 10 is being forcibly installed when users have left their system unattended--one system began the Windows 10 install while the user was in the shower. Other users describe choosing the "decline" option only to have their systems going into a loop--endlessly.

The following comment from Microsoft appears to belie any idea that Microsoft has any conception of reality and supports the notion that Microsoft appears to be living in a fantasy world--or perhaps Orwellian might be a better description:

"[As] we shared in late October on the Windows Blog, we are committed to making it easy for our Windows 7 and Windows 8.1 customers to upgrade to Windows 10," the spokesman said. "As stated in that post, we have updated the upgrade experience to make it easier for customers to schedule a time for their upgrade to take place."

I'm so glad I've set Windows Update to "never", along with setting Windows Update Service to "disabled" and using gpedit to set "Prevent Windows Anytime Update" to "enabled"--it's been reported that people are finding their Windows Update settings changed to allow Windows 10 to download and install. I'm giving serious consideration to unplugging my ethernet cable when I'm not actively using my system...

Terrie
terrie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2016, 03:00 AM   #2
Bo Aakerstrom

An Orwellian fantasy world no less...

Glad I don't have to deal with that.

Old 03-16-2016, 01:37 PM   #3
terrie
Staff

Quote:
bo: An Orwellian fantasy world no less...
When I typed that I wasn't thinking "Orwellian" and "fantasy" but just "Orwellian". These statements from Microsoft--"making it easy... to upgrade" and "easier for customers to schedule a time for their upgrade to take place"--elide the reality that there are Windows users who have no interest in Windows 10 no matter how "easy" Microsoft makes it. Just because Microsoft repeats itself ad nauseam will not make me believe that war is peas...'-}}

But...on second thought, perhaps "Orwellian fantasy" is not too far from the mark...

Terrie
Old 03-16-2016, 02:51 PM   #4
LoisWakeman
Staff

Happened to me - sat down after lunch with DTP client on Friday - woke computer up and Windows 10 had installed over Windows 7, even though I declined the nag screens. The rollback only took about 10 mins TG, though my backup s/w has recopied everything so some system variable has presumably changed.

I immediately changed Windows update to ask me whether to download. Today, when I checked in cpanel, Windows 10 had gone from a failed installation to one waiting to happen - and when I looked at the details, it was pre-ticked for action though I hadn't touched it.

I have now hidden it and will wait to see what happens.

M$ have really lost my trust over this.
LoisWakeman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2016, 04:14 PM   #5
Hugh Wyn Griffith

Lois

Quote:
I immediately changed Windows update to ask me whether to download. Today, when I checked in cpanel, Windows 10 had gone from a failed installation to one waiting to happen - and when I looked at the details, it was pre-ticked for action though I hadn't touched it.

I have now hidden it and will wait to see what happens.
As I've posted before all that and hiding won't prevent bad things happening since it's known that the hidden unchecked optional update that triggers the upgrade can be changed by Microsoft behind your back to Important, unhidden and prechecked to happen so you need to know what to look for.

As I've said, I prefer the nontechnical route of installing the free GWX Control Utility and letting it block since it and its programmer know much more than I do, keep uptodate and update the utility as things change.

Hugh
Hugh Wyn Griffith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2016, 07:17 PM   #6
terrie
Staff

Quote:
lois: I have now hidden it and will wait to see what happens.
As Hugh has noted, hiding an update doesn't work. There are numerous reports at dslreports.com's Microsoft and Security forums that hidden updates reappear regularly.

I don't trust Microsoft at all which is why I've set Windows Update to "never" and set Windows Update Service to "disabled". There isn't an update Microsoft could possibly send that is worth the aggravation, annoyance and downright sleaziness that I would now accept. I wouldn't put it past Microsoft to lie in the descriptions for updates so that Win10 could be installed.

I think it's time to revive the "Just Say No! " (to Windows Update) or perhaps, "Just Set NEVER!" would be better...'-}}

Terrie

Last edited by terrie; 03-16-2016 at 11:56 PM. Reason: fix a typo
Old 03-17-2016, 08:14 AM   #7
Steve Rindsberg
Staff

Or maybe "Orwellian. For real this time. No fantasies here."

www.pptools.com
and stuff
Steve Rindsberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2016, 08:16 AM   #8
Steve Rindsberg
Staff

>> I prefer the nontechnical route of installing the free GWX Control Utility

Amen to that. And thanks again for bringing it up.

Small download, fast install, a few clicks and you're done. SO much simpler than the alternative. [Note to self: send the GWX guy a PayPal contribution; he's earned it.]

www.pptools.com
and stuff
Steve Rindsberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2016, 02:12 PM   #9
terrie
Staff

Quote:
steve: "Orwellian. For real this time. No fantasies here."
Truer and truer every day...

Terrie
Old 03-18-2016, 03:48 AM   #10
LoisWakeman
Staff

Downloaded and zapped - thanks for the recommendation.

Edited - got a BSOD about 3 mins afterwards - hope it was unrelated!
LoisWakeman is offline   Reply With Quote