DTP

Lively discussions on the graphic arts and publishing — in print or on the web

Go Back   Desktop Publishing Forum > General Discussions > Software

Old 10-24-2015, 06:45 AM   #21
Hugh Wyn Griffith

Quote:
That'd do for the laptop, but with two disk drives and half a terabyte used on the desktop, portability's not in the cards for your humble correspondent.

[ ... ]
Think: Moving stuff from laptop to desktop and vice versa ....

That's why my Kingston with the dual micro/normal USB3 socket is good since the micro fits the USB3 on the tablet part of the hybrid and the normal fits the normal USB2 on the desktop .... More expensive than a mono plug but worth it for me.

Hugh
Hugh Wyn Griffith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2015, 12:54 PM   #22
terrie
Staff

Hugh...do you have a link (or a model number) for that Kingston thumbdrive? I don't have a need to the dual socket but I'm curious as to what it looks like...

Thanks...

Terrie
terrie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2015, 03:41 PM   #23
Hugh Wyn Griffith

Sure:

http://www.kingston.com/us/usb/personal_business#DTDUO3

It's the second black device in the right hand block of USB3 devices.

Here's the detailed spec sheet which may be more clear.

http://www.kingston.com/datasheets/DTDUO3_us.pdf

They are tiny and have a loop for a keychain, or I put two different colored bread ties to distinguish the 32 from the 64 GB.

I don't see larger than 64 at the moment but they are OTG as well if your device supports that.

Hugh
Old 10-24-2015, 07:32 PM   #24
terrie
Staff

Quote:
hugh: They are tiny
They are! Thanks for the links.

Terrie
Old 10-25-2015, 07:53 AM   #25
Steve Rindsberg
Staff

>> Think: Moving stuff from laptop to desktop and vice versa ....

Yep, that's why I mentioned the "other uses" that I could think of. Thinking of exactly that, in fact. I always have a thumbdrive in my pocket so all my "important stuff" is with me, even though I usually keep the desktop and various laptops synchronized over ethernet.

But also this: Every year I set up a help center (think computer lab) at a conference. The last couple of years I've put all the software installers on a couple of thumb drives, one for each of the merry band of volunteers doing the setup (that'd be John and me).

As it happens, this year that saved the conference organizer a bundle; they were able to rent and ship these tiny little PCs with no optical drives. If we'd needed optical drives, it would have meant renting larger PCs --> considerably higher shipping costs.

www.pptools.com
and stuff
Steve Rindsberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2015, 01:25 PM   #26
Hugh Wyn Griffith

It's not easy even to buy computers with optical drives, especially laptops unless pricey, and of course there are tablets to look after too.

Hugh
Old 10-25-2015, 05:19 PM   #27
Steve Rindsberg
Staff

I guess the rental companies stock desktops with them routinely; this outfit uses Lenovos; they seem to have lots of models, even lappies, with optical drives. I'm not sure I'm ready to cope with a computer lab running on tablets!

www.pptools.com
and stuff
Steve Rindsberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2016, 08:35 PM   #28
terrie
Staff

Quote:
hugh: Tiger Direct
There is a thread in the "PC Hardware Discussion/Reviews" subform at dslreports.com that TD has been bought by PC Mall and has become quite the dicey place from which to order. Apparently TD got in trouble not long ago for not redeeming rebates and now whatever is being sold is under an all sales final with no returns allowed. PC Mall is apparently also not paying any outstanding refunds due. I don't think I've ever ordered from PC Mall--or if I did, it's been many eons--but I know of them.

Soooo...buyer beware with respect to Tiger Direct...

Terrie
Old 01-27-2016, 10:11 AM   #29
Hugh Wyn Griffith

Thanks for catching that.

I never bought from Tiger Direct by Mail Order although I knew people who did, but that was some years ago. I used to buy from COMPUSA that had two stores up in Clearwater, FL not far from hear and I didn't know they had closed.

Hugh
Old 01-27-2016, 02:16 PM   #30
terrie
Staff

I've never trusted Tiger Direct, not sure why, but I was always leery of them. Apparently there are quite a few recent bad reviews for their storefront on ebay. Sorry to hear that your CompUSA stores closed. I bought a lot of stuff--particularly tech books--from my local CompUSA. I was very sorry when they closed.

I feel quite fortunate that we have a MicroCenter so nearby and that their pricing is competitive and, that they will match prices.

Terrie