DTP

Lively discussions on the graphic arts and publishing — in print or on the web

Go Back   Desktop Publishing Forum > General Discussions > Software

Old 01-15-2016, 07:38 PM   #1
Steve Rindsberg
Staff

Default Chrome's making me Chrazy

Judging from the number of complaints going back years, I'm not the only one to run into this:

I tell Chrome to download something.
It does. The littel gadget at the bottom left tells me it's done.

BUT

If I go to download something else, nothing happens.
If I quit Chrome, it tells me "Download in progress: Continue or Cancel Download?"
This is nonsense. The file in question is where it's supposed to be. Fully downloaded already.

THEN

I quit Chrome (because it won't download any further files).
I click the icon on my taskbar to restart it.
It doesn't start.
I click the icon again. It starts.

Now if I hadn't clicked the icon at all, there'd be an orphaned instance of Chrome.exe in the processes list in TaskMan. Ditto after the first click. After the second click, when Chrome finally starts, there'll be two instances of Chrome.exe.

And suddenly today it's decided that it will no longer print once it's besnitted itself. No preview appears, can't choose printer, can't save as PDF, nada.

The fix that seems to be working best so far is

- Close Chrome
- Install Firefox
- Use same

Unfortunately, FF doesn't have that nifty Print | As PDF feature that's so useful in Chrome.
Then again, if it wasn't working in Chrome ...

Sigh.

Got a cluestick to whack me with, anyone?

I've already tried most if not all of the suggestions found online including blowing it away entirely and reinstalling. That worked. For a while. Until it stopped working and now we're back where we started.

www.pptools.com
and stuff
Steve Rindsberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2016, 08:19 PM   #2
terrie
Staff

I've never used Chrome primarily because my understanding is that it automatically updates itself--no user control of that at all--so that's been the dealbreaker with me.

With respect to pdf'ing and FF (and PaleMoon for that matter), I use the Acrobrat created PDF printer instance to create (print to) pdfs all the time--using Acrobrat 8 that I unh...acquired...that's it, acquired...'-}}

Works a treat...

Does Chrome have add-ons like FF (and PM)? If so, maybe there is a download manager add-on for Chrome? Alternatively, when Chrome won't start and/or after closing when it won't download, what is in Task Manager? If there are Chrome instance(s), what happens if you stop the process(es) and then start Chrome?

Terrie
terrie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2016, 03:35 AM   #3
Bo Aakerstrom

Whilst in FF: Ctrl+P, Choose "Print to File", Enter filename.pdf, and that's about it.

Old 01-16-2016, 09:18 AM   #4
Steve Rindsberg
Staff

Well, sure, you can print to PDF from pretty much anything if you have Acrobat. But I could buy a pretty nice car for what that'd cost me, given the number of PCs and virtual machines I rely on here.

Chrome does have extensions (which I've disabled and no joy). And yep, when there's Chrome-atic trouble, killing off the spare instance in TaskMan solves it. Until it stubs its toe on the next download and gets uncooperative again.

www.pptools.com
and stuff
Old 01-16-2016, 09:21 AM   #5
Steve Rindsberg
Staff

OSX has PDF printing built in. Windows doesn't.
And I'm guessing that your version of Linux does as well?

That option doesn't appear on Windows PCs unless you have a PDF printer driver of some sort installed (Adobe PDF or whatever). Just tried it in FF to be sure ... no PDF option, alas.

www.pptools.com
and stuff
Old 01-16-2016, 12:18 PM   #6
terrie
Staff

Quote:
steve: if you have Acrobat.
Ahhh...I thought you did...what about one of the free pdf creators?

Did a little looking around and found that there is a FF/PM add-on "PrintPDF" and there's also "PDF Download"--might be worth looking at?

Also, I found "PDFCrowd" browser extensions for FF and Chrome but it's $9.95/year (not too pricey)...

Terrie

Last edited by terrie; 01-16-2016 at 02:58 PM. Reason: fix typo
Old 01-16-2016, 01:39 PM   #7
Bo Aakerstrom

Didn't know Windows don't have that (been a while since I used a Windows PC).

Old 01-17-2016, 09:26 AM   #8
Steve Rindsberg
Staff

I do have Acrobat, but only on one PC out of the six or so physical computers and dozens of virtual machines around here. I saw the PDFCrowd extension as well but, though I'm not sure why in this case, I'm averse to an online conversion service when Chrome's works so beautifully in place. Maybe I'll just paste the URL from FF to Chrome, PDF it, then quit Chrome. At least until a fix appears. During which wait I'll not be holding my breath.

www.pptools.com
and stuff
Old 01-17-2016, 12:37 PM   #9
terrie
Staff

Quote:
steve: I'm averse to an online conversion service
You know, I completely missed that the PDFCrowd was online as I thought it was installable software that one paid an annual licensing fee. I don't like online conversions either...

I didn't realize you had so many systems that were functional--at one point I had 4 desktop systems and 3 laptops here in my den but only 1 desktop system was active...'-}}

Terrie
Old 01-18-2016, 08:10 AM   #10
Steve Rindsberg
Staff

Well, a couple of the computers belong to Herself, and a couple are functional but rarely called upon to function (I wipe old laptops, set them up with Office and use them to display presentations and such at events; if somebody swipes one, I'll be royally torqued off but not devastated. ;-) And then there are the couple of machines I use for work, each of which hosts various virtual machines. Given that there are (XP, VISTA, Win7, Win8, Win8.1, Win10, how many fingers is that?) versions of Windows and uncountable Office versions by the time you consider the different editions and distribution methods, all of which may have their quirks that affect my customers, there wouldn't be room or power enough to run all the hardware I'd need.

God Bless Mr. Virtual and His Many Machines!

www.pptools.com
and stuff