DTP

Lively discussions on the graphic arts and publishing — in print or on the web

Go Back   Desktop Publishing Forum > General Discussions > Hardware & Gadgets

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 12-06-2015, 02:37 PM   #4
terrie
Staff

This may be the end of an era for me with HP printers. I continue to be frustrated by the HP non-drivers for my HP2200D and not being able to print on user-defined paper sizes so I decided to go looking and see what's out there for monochrome laser printers with postscript.

The HP site is an absolute mess. Took me forever to get to the correct pages with full specs for printers--perhaps it's a function of the split HP is going through but it sure was annoying. I've narrowed it down to the HP Laserjet Pro M402dn--the 402n is less expensive but only comes with a starter toner cart while the 402dn comes with a standard cart and the carts are so pricey that it's a better deal to buy the "dn" version.

My sister has done so well with her little Brother all-in-one that I took a browse to see what Brother had and found what appears to be a halfway decent one--the Brother HL-5470dw--which amazon has on sale for $138.99. I don't think it's as well made as my HP2200D but I don't think the HP M402dn is probably as well made as the HP2200D either.

Microcenter has both and I've printed off the amazon pages in hopes they will match the amazon price. I'm leaning towards the Brother both on price ($138 vs. $230) and just because I'm so pissed off at HP--heresy I know...'-}}

With respect to postscript, it appears that no one wants to pay Adobe any longer for their postscript so everyone uses an emulator. Not sure how the Brother emulator compares with the HP emulator.

Have to think on it a bit more but wil probably make a decision sometime this week...

Terrie
terrie is offline   Reply With Quote