DTP

Lively discussions on the graphic arts and publishing — in print or on the web

Go Back   Desktop Publishing Forum > General Discussions > Software

Old 11-15-2015, 07:06 PM   #21
terrie
Staff

Thank you for clean install for Win10 info and the link--I was aware that it could be done but had not had a chance to look at the procedure in any detail.

I am going to edit your post to remove the detailed portion because that text belongs to tenforums.com but I will reestablish your link to the tutorial so that can lead other users to the more detailed info...

Terrie

Last edited by terrie; 11-15-2015 at 09:00 PM. Reason: fix typo
terrie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2015, 07:21 PM   #22
terrie
Staff

Quote:
keith: I used Windows cleanup but selected system files this gets rid of it....
I've never used Windows cleanup but I wonder if in the Win10 version, if there might be some sort of date-check to determine if 30 days have passed and if so, if Windows cleanup might have a hidden option to delete the windows.old folder--I wouldn't put it past Microsoft to have done this sort of thing.

Quote:
keith: I will eventually clean install Windows 10, but have to first make a list of all my programs and tweaks etc....
I'd not realized that your Win10 install was not a clean install. That might be the underlying issue. It could be that the upgrade process corrupted your user profile.

At any rate, once you get things sorted and have a stable user profile, post back if you need any help with the copy/dup process...

Terrie
Old 11-15-2015, 11:55 PM   #23
reddwarf4ever

Quote:
Originally Posted by terrie View Post
Thank you for clean install for Win10 info and the link--I was aware that it could be done but had not had a chance to look at the procedure in any detail.

I am going to edit your post to remove the detailed portion because that text belongs to tenforums.com but I will reestablish your link to the tutorial so that can lead other users to the more detailed info...

Terrie
perfect thanks, the guys at tenforums have been so helpful and have so many excellent tutorials
reddwarf4ever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2015, 09:22 AM   #24
Hugh Wyn Griffith

Quote:
The rumour mill hints that Microsoft will blacklist any product keys used from W7 or W8 machines after 30 days to prevent a clean install of the previous OS, others say this is untrue.....
I've not seen any indication of that and I do Windows support on CompuServe. In fact Microsoft have apparently changed the activation for W10 and it does not require entry of a key when you update; it picks up the one on your W7 or 8 automatically.

Since you can download W10 in ISO form for a clean install and then use a previous key I don't see anything happening to invalidate W7 keys and certainly not after 30 days. Presumably something might happen after the free upgrade period expires at the end of 12 months .... if that does not change but I doubt it.

Hugh
Hugh Wyn Griffith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2015, 09:27 AM   #25
reddwarf4ever

Hi
thanks......currently copying appdata folder, as per Microsoft guide, although brink on tenforum thinks this folder may hold my corruption issue.
will not copy anything else across, will test new profile and see if orig problem persists.....if not will continue with other folder copies....
Old 11-16-2015, 12:40 PM   #26
reddwarf4ever

Tried copying appdata from orig profile to new one and really screwed up..

so deleted this profile and created a new one...

As all programs were installed for all users they were all there.

just pinned them all to the start menu.

copied chrome bookmarks and docs pictures and video across...

all working perfectly, will,leave it some time before I delete my old profile...

can't help thinking I have missed something that I should have copied across, but can't think what.....so looks like there is light at the end of the tunnel

thanks Terrie, for all your help and support
Old 11-16-2015, 08:53 PM   #27
terrie
Staff

Quote:
keith: Tried copying appdata from orig profile to new one and really screwed up..
What was the "Microsoft guide" you referenced in your previous post? My experience with Microsoft's suggestions on copying user profile data was not a good one either.

Quote:
keith: all working perfectly, will,leave it some time before I delete my old profile...
Glad to hear that...good idea to leave the old profile just in case...

Quote:
keith: thanks Terrie, for all your help and support
You are most welcome...

Terrie
Old 11-16-2015, 08:55 PM   #28
terrie
Staff

Quote:
keith: the guys at tenforums have been so helpful and have so many excellent tutorials
I think tenforums.com is run by the same people who run sevenforums.com and they are indeed a very good place for useful, well written info and tutorials...

Terrie
Old 11-16-2015, 11:58 PM   #29
reddwarf4ever

I searched for repair corrupt user profile and found a Microsoft guide which said to copy everything except the three DAT files, but when I copied my appdata folder it all went really messed up, lucky I knew ctrl alt del to allow me to log off....copied themes folder last night to new profile, will do another HDD image backup today and keep my old profile until I am 100% certain there is nothing else I need from it...got nagging feeling there must be more to copy than my docs pics video and themes and bookmarks....

best wishes
Old 11-17-2015, 01:00 PM   #30
terrie
Staff

Quote:
keith: I searched for repair corrupt user profile and found a Microsoft guide
I figured that's what you'd found. There is a note at the start of my post outlining the copy/dup steps to avoid that particular approach at all costs--I'd tried it and ended up with the same mess you did--but I suspect with all the stuff you'd tried, you probably forgot about the warning...'-}}

There's really no need to delete that mangled profile until you are good and ready--I still have my old mangled profile from the same Microsoft crap process on my old (now backup) system...

Quote:
keith: best wishes
Thank you! '-}}

Terrie