and some of the theme folders in my original profile became deleted

OMG
reddwarf4ever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2015, 03:04 PM   #12
terrie
Staff

We were interrupted for a bit but we're back now...'-}}

Quote:
keith: wanted to reply with a quote and add my comments at the appropriate place, but each time I tried it said my reply was too short and I needed to add two more characters......would be handy to,reply with a quote and insert comments, easier to remember the questions ....
There are a couple of ways to quote. Do you see the "Quote" button--there is one in the lower right corner of each post? If you click on that button, the entire post will be quoted.

I don't use that approach as I prefer to do the following--reads longer and more complicated than it is to do:

1. Highlight the text I want to quote

2. ctrl-c to copy

3. Click on the "Quick Reply" button which will automatically place the cursor in the Quick Reply box (just below the last post in a thread)

4. ctrl-v to paste--into the Quick Reply box

5. Highlight the text and click on the "Quote" icon--last icon at the top of the Quick Reply box.

6. Any other text you wish to quote can be done by highlighting and then ctrl-c to copy the text and then repeating Steps 4-5.

We have just moved to a new software version software and so maybe the error message you received about your reply being too short is a bug. We will check this out. How were you viewing the forum--desktop system, tablet, etc.??

I think you need to step back and get a stable user profile which you may need to do manually as tedious as that process is--maybe it doesn't need to have all the bells and whistles and tweaks--but is a workable profile that you could use for a couple of days to make sure it's fully stable.

I'm a bit concerned about the error message ("...user profile cannot be loaded") because it appears that Win10 is telling you that the "User Profile Service" has not been loaded which is (to put it mildly)...not good.

I'm guessing that Win10 has a Control Panel and that there is a "Administrative Tools" option and within admin tools is the "Services" suboption. Scroll down the "Services" window to find "User Profile Service". The "Status" column should show "Started" and the "Startup Type" column should show "Automatic". If that is not the case, highlight the "User Profile Service", right-click, choose Properties and change the startup option (drop down menu about midscreen in the Properties pop-up window) to "Automatic", OK out.

Once you get both a stable userid/profile established and are sure that the "User Profile Service" is being loaded properly, then, you can think about duplicating that existing stable user profile. You can create a new userid (your 2nd), reboot your system, log in to that (2nd) userid to establish it properly and then reboot, log back in to your stable userid, create another new userid (your 3rd), reboot, log in to the new (3rd) userid to establish it properly and...at that point, still logged in to the 3rd userid, you should be able to step through the duplicate userid process...

With respect to themes. Generally and, in Win 7 (not sure if this is true for Win10), themes are associated and stored with the individual user's profile. Most commonly in:
c:\users\mywinuserid\appdata\local\windows\microsoft\themes\

What I have found most useful is to copy any themes from the user profile to a holding folder outside of the "Users" folder and to then copy the themes data from that holding folder to each individual user profile's appdata\local\microsoft\windows\themes.

Terrie

Last edited by terrie; 11-14-2015 at 03:20 PM.
terrie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2015, 03:52 PM   #13
reddwarf4ever

Hi
I feel things are slowly slipping backwar.....
there is some good news, I made an acronis true image backup of my PC just three days ago, not sure if the original user profile problem had occurred then, but at least it should fix the current (new) issues....
will restore it tomorrow and then copy the profile contents over to a new one as you described until I have a stable new profile...if of course the problem was saved with the he disk image.
Never ever had trouble with user profile errors or corruption before Windows 10, hope this isn't a weakness within this O.S.
I really like W10, seems much quicker and once all the updating and data mining is disabled, I feel secure with it. I believe that within Acronis true image there is also a file backup facility as well as HDD backup, so if so I could make a backup of my user profile when it's all stable again, restoring just the profile rather than the whole HDD would be preferable if Imget this problem again...although not sure if the relevant registry entries are backed up with the profile, if not this also may cause issues if restored in this way....

the themes are stored the same in W10 as W7 can't see why some of thems deleted, on my original profile, unless the service stopped working at the wrong time....

really think it best to restore from my true image backup and take it carefully and slowly from there....the copy to profile idea you posted would have been lovely, but no idea if it's suitable for W10 or if there is a slightly different procedure....

thanks
Old 11-14-2015, 05:14 PM   #14
terrie
Staff

Quote:
keith: can't see why some of themes deleted, on my original profile, unless the service stopped working at the wrong time....
Microsoft released a major update/upgrade to Win10 on Thursday (Nov. 12th) and from what I've been reading, it really mucked things up and I'm wondering if you got caught in the midst of it. Basically, in previous Microsoft O/S major updates (say...SP1 for Win7), it's a patch and it essentially goes in updating/changing various bits and pieces. With this Win10 update, Microsoft (in their infinite and apparently lazy approach) have replaced the existing O/S folders/files wreaking havoc everywhere. I suspect that is the source of the problems you are seeing--this could be why you lost themes and other bits you had tweaked/mod'd.

Given the way Microsoft has decided to implement Win10 updates--they are forced, as a user, you have no choice in when and how or even if, you want Win10 updates--I suspect that your restored Acronis image will get mucked up in the same way that your current installation has been mucked up so be aware of that when you apply your Acronis image.

I really, really, hate it when people tell other people that they should or should not use a particular O/S but, given what I've read about Win10, I wouldn't touch it if they gave it away for free...oh! wait! they did...'-}}

>>Never ever had trouble with user profile errors or corruption before Windows 10, hope this isn't a weakness within this O.S.

Yeah...I think it is an O/S weakness and if you can move back to your previous O/S, you might want to consider doing that until Win10 is ready for prime-time--I suspect that will be a cold day in hell...'-}}

>>really think it best to restore from my true image backup and take it carefully and slowly from there....the copy to profile idea you posted would have been lovely, but no idea if it's suitable for W10 or if there is a slightly different procedure....

Post back after you've restored from your backup and, after waiting a few days to see if this major update comes through and screws up your system again--I hope it doesn't.

If you want to try duplicating your user/profile after your system seems stable, I'd be happy to help you with it. The only possibly problematic area in the dup process is the "Windows Enabler" app because there could be something in Win10 that makes it non-functional but if you want to try--maybe create another Acronis image just before trying--I'd be happy to help...

Terrie

Last edited by terrie; 11-15-2015 at 01:54 PM. Reason: fix a typo
Old 11-15-2015, 12:50 AM   #15
reddwarf4ever

Hi
wasn't aware of the update, I have installed a tweak, registry hack which now advises of updates but doesn't tins tall any and the drivers update is turned off completely....use something called God mode ( quite simple ) but gives lots of options, although this is the only one I used. So the update shouldn't have got through, I did accidentally do some updates a few days ago, thought I could still chose which ones I wanted, but it installed them all....So now don't know, will reinstall from acronis today and go from there....I do hate the way Microsoft Apple Google to mention a few want total control of what we do, with few user options, don't get me started about spying on us...

will post again after the reinstall of the image.....Agree with you about W10 I hung back for some time as I was so happy with Windows 7....
Old 11-15-2015, 01:46 PM   #16
terrie
Staff

I'm aware of that tweak but I have read that it can be overridden so double check your settings. You might want to take a look at Shutup10 software by O&O Software--it's free and I've read good things about it.

From what I understand, the Enterprise (and I believe the Pro) versions of Win10 will allow you temporarily defer updates but, I've read that at some point, Microsoft will cut off access to future updates if you don't update your Win10 system within their timeframe. That actually doesn't sound too awful except, that given this new approach that Microsoft has taken it could mean that you'd not be able "update/upgrade" to a new version of Windows--Microsoft would essentially not allow a system on its blacklist access to the new version.

>>will post again after the reinstall of the image

Keep us posted...

>>Agree with you about W10 I hung back for some time as I was so happy with Windows 7....

There is no reason you can't go back to Win7. You might find the Microsoft forum posts at dslreports of interest ...'-}}

Terrie
Old 11-15-2015, 02:00 PM   #17
reddwarf4ever

The rumour mill hints that Microsoft will blacklist any product keys used from W7 or W8 machines after 30 days to prevent a clean install of the previous OS, others say this is untrue.....
did the image restore and went 98% perfect, my external HDDs were not recognised had to reinstall chipset drivers now ok, but original problem with user profile remains so will create two new ones, one final and one temporary to copy across, will take a while, but hopefully it will work

will look at shutup 10 thanks

Keith
Old 11-15-2015, 02:17 PM   #18
terrie
Staff

Quote:
keith: The rumour mill hints that Microsoft will blacklist any product keys used from W7 or W8 machines after 30 days to prevent a clean install of the previous OS
I don't believe it because I know of people--microsoft forum at dslreports--that have gone back to 7/8/8.1 with no problems after the 30-day window. I wonder if the rumor is a conflation of the original 30-day "go back" window and (perhaps a little bit of tinfoil hat-ness) paranoia about Microsoft?

From what I've read, when doing the "original" overlay install of Win10, a "windows.old" folder was created which "contains" the previous system and apparently could be used to "recover" the previous O/S version if you went back. If disk cleanup was active on the system, that "windows.old" folder was deleted as part of normal system cleanup (30 day cycle I think) and with that folder gone, the user would not be able to "recover" the previous O/S and would, instead, have to do a clean install--that might be problematic if you don't have the O/S disks which is becoming more common with laptops for example.

It sounds like your user profile might have been corrupt prior to all of this. Let me know what you think of Shutup10--a lot of people have said it's a Win10 lifesaver...'-}}

Forgot to mention in my last post that GodMode can be really useful since it pulls together tons of stuff from all the different Control Panel settings in one place...

Terrie
Old 11-15-2015, 02:29 PM   #19
reddwarf4ever

>>From what I've read, when doing the "original" overlay install of Win10, a "windows.old" folder was created which "contains" the previous system and apparently could be used to "recover" the previous O/S version if you went back.

100% true....but the normal windos cleanup doesn't seem to remove this, although the roll back fails after 30 days apparently...I used Windows cleanup but selected system files this gets rid of it....

always worth extracting the product key from the PC before upgrading, if not available, then can often download the OS and clean install ok...I will eventually clean install Windows 10, but have to first make a list of all my programs and tweaks etc....

as a matter of interest, there is a wonderful easy way of doing a clean install of W10 on a Windows 7 or 8 machine legally....( sort of ) will send you the procedure, all it dos is use the product key already installed to generate a Windows 10 product key, but doesn't reveal it, just makes the activation almost instant

x

Last edited by terrie; 11-15-2015 at 08:22 PM. Reason: add quote indicators
Old 11-15-2015, 02:43 PM   #20
reddwarf4ever

Default How to Directly Clean Install Windows 10 without having to Upgrade First

tenforums.com has a useful tutorial on how to do a clean install of Windows 10 without having upgrade first. The tutorial has information on the upgrade path to Windows 10--basically, from Win7 Starter through Win8.1 Pro For Students.

x

Last edited by terrie; 11-15-2015 at 09:52 PM. Reason: create link to tutorial