DTP

Lively discussions on the graphic arts and publishing — in print or on the web

Go Back   Desktop Publishing Forum > General Discussions > Software

Old 10-17-2015, 08:56 AM   #1
Steve Rindsberg
Staff

Default Imaging Drives (PC) - Saving your sytems and sanity...

I'm not much of a believer in software backups; granted, it can take a long time to get the system put back together after a major failure, but I've always got a couple PCs around with most if not all of the software I need for routine work, so losing one, so long as the DATA is backed up, wouldn't be a major crisis.

I'd think you'd want to use disk imaging software to make a snapshot of the current State of the PC, though. People speak highly of Acronis True Image. IIRC, in addition to restoring a complete disk image, it lets you pull specific folders/files out of backups.

www.pptools.com
and stuff
Steve Rindsberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2015, 01:48 PM   #2
terrie
Staff

Quote:
steve: I'd think you'd want to use disk imaging software to make a snapshot of the current State of the PC, though
That's what I meant--disk imaging. I've heard of True Image but have not checked it out...will definitely put it on my to-do list...

Given the way I org my system, I know that doing a disk image of my O/S drive would not be "complete" in and of itself since I install 99% of my software on a separate partition and I do the same with my data although data is fairly straightforward to backup/copy. I think that what would be ideal for me is to be able to disk image my O/S and my software partitions although I suspect that I'd have to do 2 separate actions which would then require 2 separate recovery actions.

One thing I did finally stumble across although I can't believe it took me years to think of this is to copy the theme(s) from an existing system to the new system (to the appropriate folder/subfolder) which reduces, if not eliminates, the need for the tedious chore of setting up colors and fonts for my system(s)--this is something I've always done almost immediatly with a new system and it used to take me a long time but copying the theme makes it soooo easy at least on WinXP and Win7...'-}}

Terrie
terrie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2015, 04:08 PM   #3
Hugh Wyn Griffith

Many are turning against Acronis nowadays I'm finding on line although I still have the 2010 version on my Windows 7 machine.

Strongly recommended to me and now on all my machines is the free Macrium Reflect I have the latest V6 and find it easy to use with good drag and drop UI. And V6 makes a WinPE thumbdrive for you using the files already on your own computer so you don't have to find and download it. The WinPE version of Macrium boots up nicely and you can add applications to it if you want to although I've not done that yet.

Purists may object that it uses the term "Clone" to include copy but personally I think it is a valid, correct use of the general term "clone".

I used it to make a duplicate of my Windows 8 partition so that I could keep one copy and upgrade the other to Windows 10. You do, it seems, have to have the cloned partition on a different physical drive to the original but I had the extra drive and room for the partition.

On line instructions are exceptionally good. Did I say it's free and works, unlike Acronis .....

"MiniTool Partition Wizard Free" if also exceptionally good.

Hugh
Hugh Wyn Griffith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2015, 07:17 PM   #4
terrie
Staff

Thanks Hugh...I've heard of Macrium Reflect and I have a vague memory of at least downloading...will have to check. When I do this, I plan on using my external drive for the clone(s) which, I think, is allowed so I won't need to partition but thanks for that also...will check it out just in case...

Why are people turning away from Acronis? Better options or a problem with Acronis?

Terrie
Old 10-19-2015, 12:32 PM   #5
Steve Rindsberg
Staff

>> I think that what would be ideal for me is to be able to disk image my O/S and my software partitions

If I'm not mistaken, that's what disk imaging (vs a regular backup) is all about.

www.pptools.com
and stuff
Old 10-19-2015, 03:18 PM   #6
terrie
Staff

Quote:
steve: If I'm not mistaken, that's what disk imaging (vs a regular backup) is all about.
Yes...but...I *think* that you can only disk image one partition/drive within a single disk image? So, if I want to disk image my O/S (C:\) and my software (F:\), then I'd have to create 2 disk images--one for each partition/drive?

Thanks...

Terrie
Old 10-19-2015, 05:23 PM   #7
Hugh Wyn Griffith

Quote:
I *think* that you can only disk image one partition/drive within a single disk image?
As I mentioned before I think the purists say you can only "image" a whole physical drive .... possibly because of including the MBD partition needed for it to be bootable.

So if your C: and F: are on the same physical disk drive with no other partitions then imaging the physical drive would do that and give you a bootable drive I believe.

If C: & F: are each on a different physical drive AND you image to an external hard drive then I would think that if you start by making a classic "image" of the C: drive and save it to a folder in the external drive and then making what I call an image of the F: drive and save it to the external drive and I think it could be in the same folder since the img files are individual -- purists would call this second a backup even if made on the same imaging software.

If then you would could recover by eg booting to a thumb drive or CD version of your imaging software and restoring to your new drive. This could be the WinPE version can make without "help" from Microsoft or less licit sources.

Make sure you download the latest Macrium V6.* since that I believe is the first to be selfcontained in making WinPE.

I found Acronis very slow to catch up with new Windows versions as they come along eg XP to 7! And I hear more and more of problems with the later than TI 2010 that I still use.

I found Macrium Reflect user friendly with superb online HELP with very clear How to chapters and a user friendly UI. Plus I don't need the Pro version so why pay for TI or that Macrium Pro?

Hugh
Hugh Wyn Griffith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2015, 07:44 AM   #8
Steve Rindsberg
Staff

What Hugh said about that.

And FWIW, if I were looking for software, I'd go with his recommendation there too. I've lots of acquaintances who recommend(ed?) Acronis. I did try it and didn't find it all that useful; I figured it was just me, but maybe not, eh?

www.pptools.com
and stuff
Old 10-20-2015, 12:07 PM   #9
terrie
Staff

Quote:
hugh: then I would think that if you start by making a classic "image" of the C: drive and save it to a folder in the external drive and then making what I call an image of the F: drive and save it to the external drive and I think it could be in the same folder since the img files are individual
That sounds workable--c:\ and f:\ are on physically separate drives with c:\ on the SSD and f:\ on a mechanical drive...

>>If then you would could recover by eg booting to a thumb drive or CD version of your imaging software and restoring to your new drive. This could be the WinPE version can make without "help" from Microsoft or less licit sources.

First...what is "WinPE"?

Sooo...if I image to an external drive, then I'd want to burn the image(s) to (bootable) DVD? Or can I create a bootable thumbdrive (need to learn how to do this) and then point to the external drive to get the image(s) re-installed?

>>I found Acronis very slow to catch up with new Windows versions

Ahhhh...thanks for that. I'll definitely look into Macrium...

Thanks...

Terrie
Old 10-20-2015, 12:08 PM   #10
terrie
Staff

Quote:
steve: I've lots of acquaintances who recommend(ed?) Acronis. I did try it and didn't find it all that useful; I figured it was just me, but maybe not, eh?
LOL!!! Thanks...'-}}

Terrie