DTP

Lively discussions on the graphic arts and publishing — in print or on the web

Go Back   Desktop Publishing Forum > General Discussions > Fonts & Typography

Old 08-02-2005, 09:27 AM   #1
Howard Fisher

Default Software can't see all font styles

I am using Quark 4.2 and other programs on a Windows XP machine.

I recently installed postscript fonts Kuenstler Script Medium and Kuenstler Script Black. My software sees only the Medium weight. I am told that this typeface's Black weight is "style-linked" to the Bold attribute, but when I attempt to apply that attribute in Quark and other programs the result is merely an artificial thickening of the Medium weight, not the true Black weight. Any suggestions how to access the Black typeface?

Thanks,
Howard
Howard Fisher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2005, 05:24 PM   #2
Franca
Staff

Maybe an obvious question, but have you checked to see that the Kuenstler Script Black was actually installed? Perhaps there was a glitch in the install process? Is it in the same folder as the Medium? Are you using a font manager of any kind, and are both fonts active? Have you rebooted at all since you installed the fonts? Just questions off the top of my head - if it has anything at all specific to do with Quark I won't be able to help, but it sounds as though the problem is not Quark-specific. (?) Do your other apps see the Black weight?

Franca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2005, 05:52 PM   #3
ktinkel
Founding Sysop

Location: In Connecticut, on the Housatonic River near its mouth at Long Island Sound.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Howard Fisher
I am using Quark 4.2 and other programs on a Windows XP machine.

I recently installed postscript fonts Kuenstler Script Medium and Kuenstler Script Black. My software sees only the Medium weight. I am told that this typeface's Black weight is "style-linked" to the Bold attribute, but when I attempt to apply that attribute in Quark and other programs the result is merely an artificial thickening of the Medium weight, not the true Black weight. Any suggestions how to access the Black typeface?
I work on a Mac so am not sure how Windows works (but always understood that it would select a linked style if BOLD was applied from menu or keyboard shortcut).

However, Kuenstler is an odd font (assuming you mean the Adobe or Linotype font). I am attaching a screen shot showing (in order) Kuenstler Medium, Kuenstler Black, and Kuenstler #2 Bold (which you do not mention). By looking at the font it appears that the Black is indeed linked to the Medium (in the “bold” position), and that the #2 Bold is separate.

I wonder if Windows is being confused by the names. I hope that Marlene or some other windows font maven pops up to help here. But it is possible that something is awry in the font itself.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Kuenstler.jpg
Views:	126
Size:	25.9 KB
ID:	154  

Old 08-21-2005, 10:28 PM   #4
marlene
Staff

Quote:
Any suggestions how to access the Black typeface?
A shot in the dark, but have you tried clicking on the "italic" or "bold italic" buttons in Quark? Sometimes Quark seems to think certain fonts are italic, even if they're not.

mxh
marlene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2005, 10:23 AM   #5
pureblood

I have not used nor seen Quark but it seems like it has the same problem as MS Word. The program is limited to these styles - Regular/Normal, Bold, Italic and Bold Italic. The easiest way out of this is to rename the font's internal name. Go to www.neuber.com/typograph and download the evaluation version of Typograf, a shareware program.

Open Typograf and browse to the folder where the fonts are. Right click on the preview and choose Properties. Change the name of the fonts. Ignore the style name and rename Kuenstler Script Medium to KuenstlerScriptMedium, or to any another name that will make it easier for you to know what font is that. Click on Save As and give it a filename, retain the PFM extension - this way you are preserving the original font. Do the same for Kuenstler Script Black.
pureblood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2005, 02:19 PM   #6
Michael Rowley

it has the same problem as MS Word

Künstler Script (Adobe's name) has a Medium, a Bold, and a Black. Word for Windows will list it as Künstler Script, which is linked to the Bold; the Medium will be its 'roman'. But if K. S. Black is installed, it will be listed separately, and to get to it, it must selected as the font required. The Medium and Bold will be linked, so either is accessible as 'Künstler Script'.

Most Windows programs should work that way, including Quark XPress. I gather that in the Mac versions, linking is optional (or is that old hat?). I don't think that playing with the font names will help.

Old 09-10-2005, 03:29 AM   #7
pureblood

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Rowley
I don't think that playing with the font names will help.
I think it would since you will be doing away with the style names and moving the style name into the family name. That will end the problem with respect to styles not being recognized, or limited to the the styles recognized by MS progs.

However, I do not know if that is allowed in the Terms of Use... but I'd rather do it than not use the font at all.

Another method is to open the font in Fontlab and make sure that Black is really linked to bold. It is only a matter of putting a check in the Bold box.
pureblood is offline   Reply With Quote