DTP

Lively discussions on the graphic arts and publishing — in print or on the web

Go Back   Desktop Publishing Forum > General Discussions > The Corner Pub

Old 11-22-2017, 09:51 AM   #1
Andrew B.
Staff

Default Never-ending quilt saga

Perhaps you remember when I was shopping for a comforter. With the help of this forum I realized what I should be looking for is a quilt. And I announced here when I got one.

Some time later I noticed a sizable tear in the quilt where lie on top of it. And in looking at it I realized it is very thin fabric. It could have caught on my clothes and torn.

I bought some fusible backing fabric, slipped it inside the quilt with the coating towards the tear, and applied heat. It worked so well it looked like it had never been torn. But then it tore in another spot. So I tried the same fix, and it worked for awhile. Then the fabric pulled loose from the patch in some spots. Then another tear appears, and this time the fusible fabric stuck to one side of the tear, but not the other. Weird. Anyway, my next plan is to use fabric glue and glue the patch where it's not sticking. I've already ordered it.

BTW, I tried to photograph my quilt right after I got it so I could post a pic to that thread. But it never comes our right. In the photo it looks like a routine black and white chevron pattern. But in person it looks like pointillist chevrons made with dabs of black and transparent black, along with pale brown dabs that don't follow the same pattern. All mixed with a natural fabric color as the background.

I think the pattern gives the impression of a clunky weave. One of my caregivers said it looks African, and he suggested I hang crossed spears on the wall.

Old 11-22-2017, 12:16 PM   #2
terrie
Staff

Now that you've got experience with the quilt and fabric, perhaps it's time to look for another quilt made with better quality fabric and/or contact the manufacturer and ask them about the problems you are having with the fabric ripping?

I love that fusible backing...it can do magic things...'-}}

Terrie
terrie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2017, 03:41 PM   #3
Andrew B.
Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by terrie View Post
Now that you've got experience with the quilt and fabric, perhaps it's time to look for another quilt made with better quality fabric...
Funny thing is I never stopped looking, even though I liked the quilt I had found.

What I would really like is a black quilt with closely spaced small white polka dots (almost touching) in a pseudo-random pattern. I saw one online years ago but I hemmed and hawed so much it went out of stock and never returned.

Last edited by Andrew B.; 11-22-2017 at 09:10 PM.
Andrew B. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2017, 12:17 PM   #4
terrie
Staff

Quote:
andrew: What I would really like is a black quilt with closely spaced small white polka dots (almost touching) in a pseudo-random pattern.
Sounds to me like a custom quilt would be your best bet...

Terrie
Old 11-30-2017, 05:25 PM   #5
Andrew B.
Staff

For some reason I ruled this out, but not I'm not sure why. Especially considering that I have two chairs here for which I had custom cushions made online. So why not quilts too. Makes sense.

Old 12-01-2017, 11:38 AM   #6
terrie
Staff

Maybe because you don't know any custom quilters and custom chair cushions/upholstery is more common???

Terrie
Old 12-01-2017, 10:09 PM   #7
Andrew B.
Staff

I just did a quick search and the place I bought my quilt does custom work. Earlier today I searched for fabric but so far no luck.

Old 12-02-2017, 11:41 AM   #8
terrie
Staff

You know...you might look for local quilt/fabric stores and give them a call to see if they could recommend local quilters--call and ask if they carry quilting fabric and/or have a quilting department--rather than using The Company Store. I'd be very surprised if there isn't at least one local quilt shop--we have a very well known local fabric place that carries wonderful quilt fabrics and has a large quilters group. With a local quilter, you'd likely get more fabric options, better service and at a better price...

Terrie
Old 12-03-2017, 09:59 AM   #9
Andrew B.
Staff

Good idea. Thanks.

Old 12-03-2017, 11:22 AM   #10
terrie
Staff

Keep us posted!!!

Terrie