DTP

Lively discussions on the graphic arts and publishing — in print or on the web

Go Back   Desktop Publishing Forum > General Discussions > Business Matters

Old 07-20-2017, 04:03 PM   #1
Ronald

Default Questions about Business Cards, Self Promotion

So I decided I should develop a business card, partly for freelance promotion, because I feel silly when someone asks for a card and I have nothing, but also perhaps to hand over after a job interview. I have a few ideas that I wanted to put out there for feedback.

1.) I'm not entirely sure what skill(s) I should highlight on my card (Illustration, Graphic Design, Photography). I'm considering making two or even three card variations that emphasize different skills (one that's purely illustration, another that's design/illustration/photography, and perhaps a "multimedia art" card that also references my background in animation and video editing as part of a broad gamut of skills. Perhaps I could setup the print file to have rows of three different cards, then print, trim, and just use whichever one I need for the right occasion.

2.) Would offering my business card at the end of an interview help or hurt my chances? Although it may seem redundant since they have my resume, I would think handing a professional, attractive card to the interviewer would leave a good final impression and help me stand out.

3.) With the development of a card, I'm also considering developing a portfolio introduction and website that would stylistically tie in. Could anyone suggest some good, free options for website development? I have some fundamental understanding of HTML/CSS but have yet to work with WordPress; although, I assume it's not too difficult.

Thank you.
Ronald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2017, 11:52 AM   #2
terrie
Staff

I definitely think that the idea of multiple cards emphasizing different aspects is a reasonable idea. Having said that, the 3 you mentioned--Illustration, Graphic Design and Photography--are certainly related and play well together on one card and...one card does make life easier...'-}}

The key thing to remember about business cards is to remember to put your name and your contact information on the card--can't tell you how many times I've actually forgotten to put my name and some sort of contact info on a card because I got carried away with the design...'-}}

Actually, perhaps starting with your name and whatever contact information you want to put on your card is the better place to start and then, start mucking about with the extra info and fun design stuff?

I think offering your card at then beginning/end of an interview is also a reasonable idea. I have a hard time thinking it would hurt. With respect to a website and having neglected my own poor website, I think I'd suggest taking a close look at WordPress which I know virtually nothing about but it has been discussed here before--let me see if I can find the threads...

Ok...in no particular order:

1. Setting up a website

2. Glitch in WordPress Installation

3. My blog is getting better

4. WordPress templates

5. Small business website

Hope those provide you with some useful info...

Terrie
terrie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2017, 08:36 AM   #3
Steve Rindsberg
Staff

Just to keep things entertaining, I'll disagree with Terrie and suggest that alleging that you possess too many skills might lead people to think "... and master of none" when they see your card. That'd be my reaction, at least.

But I think offering your card as part of an interview would be an excellent idea. I'd give it to the interviewer as soon as you introduce yourself, though. That would give them an opportunity to leave the card on their desk (so they don't forget your name ... two points for you, you've saved them THAT embarrassment) and for some people, seeing a word or name in print opens a wider pathway into the part of memory that retains these things. They're more likely to remember you.

www.pptools.com
and stuff
Steve Rindsberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2017, 11:53 AM   #4
terrie
Staff

Quote:
steve: I'll disagree with Terrie and suggest that alleging that you possess too many skills might lead people to think "... and master of none"
Ok...I'm confused...(and entertained)...'-}}

I think that one can easily (??) see that illustration, graphic design and photography are at least somewhat related and integrated so I'm confused that anyone would think "master of none" but then, I'm easily confused...'-}}

I'm glad we at least agree on giving the card at the interview and given your description of the advantage of giving at the introduction, I think that's indeed the perfect time...

Terrie
Old 07-23-2017, 09:22 AM   #5
Steve Rindsberg
Staff

Well ... "related" in the sense that a graphic designer might often use photographs, but that doesn't translate into skill at photography.

When I've seen the work of someone claiming to be skilled at too many things, the work's been sub-par in one or more of those things. Nice design, meh photography. Or vice versa.

"I take nice pictures" and "I walk into a difficult situation, fix or work around the problems handed me, and MAKE a nice picture that fits your layout and other specs" are different animals.

www.pptools.com
and stuff
Old 07-23-2017, 02:14 PM   #6
terrie
Staff

Quote:
steve: Well ... "related" in the sense that a graphic designer might often use photographs, but that doesn't translate into skill at photography.
Ahhh...I see...that makes sense. I guess because I actually do all 3, my expectation would be that someone listing all 3 would also do all of them...'-}}

Terrie
Old 07-24-2017, 08:26 AM   #7
Steve Rindsberg
Staff

>> my expectation would be that someone listing all 3 would also do all of them

Mine too. But I don't believe that there are many people who can do all three on a professional level.

www.pptools.com
and stuff
Old 07-24-2017, 11:57 AM   #8
terrie
Staff

Quote:
steve: But I don't believe that there are many people who can do all three on a professional level.
True...'-}}

Terrie
Old 07-22-2017, 11:06 PM   #9
Ronald

Thanks for the feedback, terrie and Steve.

I was going to do a relatively basic card with three or four tall, thin, angled shapes containing portfolio samples, but now I'm considering designing my business card to resemble a vintage Topps trading card, with a full-color border/banner and self portrait on the front, then my "stats" (contact info) and maybe a brief bio on the back in black & white with maybe one additional color. This thematic approach represents the kind of projects I really enjoy, borrowing from vintage design eras and incorporating illustration, and I would hope others would get a kick out of it. I'm not sure, though, if people would expect my website to follow a similar theme.

Quote:
Originally Posted by terrie View Post
I think that one can easily (??) see that illustration, graphic design and photography are at least somewhat related and integrated so I'm confused that anyone would think "master of none" but then, I'm easily confused...'-}}
I asked about this one another forum and got mixed feedback, with one person saying to just note all three skills, as you did, and another person showing a bit of trepidation as some clients might think it means you only have a shallow ability in each particular field. Overall, I suppose it would work to just have one "Graphic Design, Illustration, Photography" card. There are other areas I have skills in and would welcome work in, such as animation, but then again, there are a variety of animation needs out there (I have no experience in 3D), and I wouldn't want to give a false impression.
Ronald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2017, 09:24 AM   #10
Steve Rindsberg
Staff

I think the Topps idea is a hoot but one consideration: what's the likely age of people you'll be handing the card to, and will they have any idea what a bubble-gum card is/was?

[SUCH a buzzkill, this guy!] ;-)

www.pptools.com
and stuff