DTP

Lively discussions on the graphic arts and publishing — in print or on the web

Go Back   Desktop Publishing Forum > General Discussions > Print Production & Automation

Old 07-26-2005, 02:43 PM   #1
ElyseC
Sysop Emeritus

Default Two-sided cover stock called ??

OK, my brain refuses to give up the name of that two-sided (i.e. a different color on each side) cover stock I always had samples of, but never had occasion to spec. What is it called and does any mill still make it? If it is made in archival quality, I can finally spec it for a personal project.

The only term that comes to mind is "duplex" but that doesn't seem quite right...

Old 07-26-2005, 03:05 PM   #2
don Arnoldy
Curmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by ElyseC
The only term that comes to mind is "duplex" but that doesn't seem quite right...
Actually, it is right. Duplex covers are two sheets of cover stock (usually 60#) glued together at the mill. Very few brands of paper actually have duplex weights--Curtis linen is the only one i can think of OTTOMH.

--don

Old 07-26-2005, 07:56 PM   #3
ElyseC
Sysop Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by don Arnoldy
Actually, it is right. Duplex covers are two sheets of cover stock (usually 60#) glued together at the mill. Very few brands of paper actually have duplex weights--Curtis linen is the only one i can think of OTTOMH.
Thanks, Don. It turns out that Curtis apparently ceased operations in 1999 or before. I've found that Neenah has a few duplex offerings, but most have a distinct texture, not a smooth finish. I need smooth, not coated or glossy at all, just crisp. I've also run across a couple of craft papers called GMUND Reaction (metallic on one side, if you can imagine that!) and Sorbet (gaudy colors that don't suit my purposes). If I can lay my hands on a sample of Neenah's Classic Crest duplex (not the laid finish), that may be OK.

In the meantime I'll keep digging, but perhaps abandon the idea they're listed among printing papers and start looking in craft and/or art supplies.

Old 07-27-2005, 01:47 AM   #4
PeterArnel

Location: North of Swindon in the UK on the edge of the Cotswolds

I know this may be a basic answer - but why not print a solid either side. These fancy boards seem ever so expensive
Peter
PeterArnel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2005, 06:04 AM   #5
ElyseC
Sysop Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeterArnel
I know this may be a basic answer - but why not print a solid either side. These fancy boards seem ever so expensive
Peter
Because I'm not actually printing on it and I need the colors to show on the edge. This is a fine art project. Yes, printing solid both sides is a good way to the same look most times.

How I wish there was a paper store like we had in southern California, Kelly Paper. There I could go buy just a sheet or two to test first, or sometimes get a sheet for free as a sample. If the paper suited me, I'd happily return to buy a ream. Was great when designing with specialty papers; could show the selections to the client and they really liked that. Made for great mockups.

Anyway, I finally have my reason to use a duplex, but where to get a sheet as a test without it costing the earth...

Old 07-27-2005, 07:15 AM   #6
ktinkel
Founding Sysop

Location: In Connecticut, on the Housatonic River near its mouth at Long Island Sound.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ElyseC
Anyway, I finally have my reason to use a duplex, but where to get a sheet as a test without it costing the earth...
I just got a promotional e-mail from a site called PaperSpecs, an online paper database for the design and print industries.

It’s run by a graphic designer, and offers advice on paper choices as well as assistance with obtaining samples and special stocks in general. It got an editorial rave from How magazine.

Costs $15/month (less with longer-term subscriptions), but you can sign up and have a free 30-day trial.

Do let us know what you think if you check it out.

Old 07-27-2005, 07:54 AM   #7
ElyseC
Sysop Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by ktinkel
I just got a promotional e-mail from a site called PaperSpecs, an online paper database for the design and print industries.

It’s run by a graphic designer, and offers advice on paper choices as well as assistance with obtaining samples and special stocks in general. It got an editorial rave from How magazine.
I stumbled on that site two days ago while searching and when I got that promotional email yesterday I was a bit annoyed, thinking that somehow they'd captured my email just by my spending a couple minutes at the site. If you got it, too, then the timing must've been coincidence and they bought my email from the same list they got yours.

I've taken the tour and will probably sign up for the free trial, but right now I cannot justify $15/month for regular membership. It has been ages since I've needed to spec those kind of printing papers. Sure looks like the site could answer my current questions nicely, though. Very useful if it works as the tour indicates.

Old 07-28-2005, 01:12 AM   #8
PeterArnel

Location: North of Swindon in the UK on the edge of the Cotswolds

Elyse
In the UK I would phone my paper merchants who act as the middlemen between the mills and printers. There is usually someone there who has the knowledge or knows someone that has
Peter
PeterArnel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2005, 05:55 AM   #9
ElyseC
Sysop Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeterArnel
In the UK I would phone my paper merchants who act as the middlemen between the mills and printers. There is usually someone there who has the knowledge or knows someone that has
Once upon a time I could've done that when we were living in California, but here I haven't a clue who the paper merchants are. Once school starts and my five year old doesn't have to be in tow, I plan to visit a few print shops to find out their capabilities. "Who supplies your paper?" is one question I'll be asking. Not a lot of offset shops here, I've gathered, mostly digital of some stripe, but I'll confirm that when I make my rounds.

One that I know is offset, when I contacted them a couple months ago the owner suspected he was bidding against some digital shops, acted a bit indignant and effectively shooed me away. I'm positive he figured I was just like the vast majority who show up on his door, proudly bearing files created with whatever Microsoft software that came on their computer, pleased with the results of their "flair for art." I didn't have time or real reason to set him straight at that point, but I want to give him another chance. From what he told me, I can tell he and I have both been in this industry for 31 years and we're about the same age. I think he'll relax once I meet him in person and do a little "old shop" talk. :-)

Old 07-28-2005, 09:07 AM   #10
donmcc

One route to finding a good paper distributor (by phone) would be to phone one of the paper mills. Here In Canada, I would call Domtar, ask for sales, and try to talk to the rep from this area. He/she will know the distributors in the area, and will supply a name and number since sales through that dist. will flow into his/her pocket.

Don
donmcc is offline   Reply With Quote