Lively discussions on the graphic arts and publishing — in print or on the web

Go Back   Desktop Publishing Forum > General Discussions > Software

Old 08-16-2016, 09:16 PM   #1
Andrew B.
Staff

Default Win 10 setup tip

Now that I'm too old and lazy to research more, I cannot confirm this, but:

Quote:
...don't just click through the setup pages using the "Next" buttons on the lower right. Look for the small links on the lower left, just above the language selector. Then you can turn off those great features that send all of your personal info. to Microsoft.

Old 08-17-2016, 08:01 AM   #2
Steve Rindsberg
Staff

You can always get back to these settings later, after you've impatiently NEXTed your way through the setup, but MS does a pretty good job of hiding them. Hell, it does a wonderful job of hiding EVERYTHING in Windows 10. Or (probably more accurate but less fun) it doesn't hide anything any better or worse than in Win7, but I'm onto them in Win7, I know their sly little dodges. Win10? They turned out the lights and then moved the furniture.

www.pptools.com
and stuff
Steve Rindsberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2016, 12:56 PM   #3
terrie
Staff

Two very useful tools for the crap known as Windows 10--based on recommendations at dslreports and both are free:

1. O&OShutup10 - "Using a very simple interface, you decide how Windows 10 should respect your privacy by deciding which unwanted functions should be deactivated."

2. WinaeroTweaker - also works on Windows 7/8/8.1 in addition to Win10

Later Edit: Just stumbled across this article from betanews.com "EFF rips into Microsoft and Windows 10 for 'blatantly disregarding user choice and privacy"...interesting...'-}}

Terrie

Last edited by terrie; 08-17-2016 at 03:05 PM. Reason: add article link
terrie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2016, 07:55 AM   #4
Steve Rindsberg
Staff

From the EFF article:

"Windows Update won't function properly on copies of the operating system with telemetry reporting turned to its lowest level"

Sounds like a win to me.

www.pptools.com
and stuff
Steve Rindsberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2016, 11:58 AM   #5
terrie
Staff

Quote:
steve: Sounds like a win to me.
Indeed...'-}}

Woody Leonhard is taking Microsoft to task with their latest "simplification" approach for updates for Windows 7/8/8.1: "Microsoft changes Win7/8.1 updates, pushes even harder for Windows 10"

"The patches will be cumulative, which eliminates the need to exercise judgment in selecting the patches you want. At the same time, though, the new approach severely hampers your ability to recover from bad patches -- and it allows Microsoft to put anything it wants on your Win7/8.1 PC."

"As you might expect, many longtime Windows 7 devotees (present company included) are livid. After years of picking and choosing patches based on their KB numbers, Microsoft is taking full control of the billion-or-so Windows machines that aren't yet absorbed into the Win10 fold."

I guess I'm never, ever going to allow Windows Updates on any of my system again...

Terrie
terrie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2016, 01:53 PM   #6
Hugh Wyn Griffith

I can confirm that -- with the Windows 10 AU Upgrade it resets them all to ON and if you click Next on the page just after you say Welcome they all get left ON.

If you look very carefully down near the right hand bottom side, maybe near the Next button you will see in faint lettering Customize or Configure or something like that.

I only left on the last one about notifying them of some of the crashes.

Just as well since the AU upgrade causes a video freeze after a few minutes on my ASUS T200TA hybrid laptop with the error message Video Scheduler Internal Error.

At least in W10AU the BSODs are informative about the percentage of error information uploading, what it thinks the problem is and where to go to find out more about the error code, which is in words.

Hugh
Hugh Wyn Griffith is offline   Reply With Quote