DTP

Lively discussions on the graphic arts and publishing — in print or on the web

Go Back   Desktop Publishing Forum > General Discussions > Software

Old 06-22-2016, 03:45 PM   #1
Kass Johns

Location: At the base of Pikes Peak in Colorado Springs, Colorado
Default Best Email Client (Mac) for old Eudora ADDICT!!

Hi gang!

It's been forever since I visited the Forum, but I need some advice. I cannot seem to get a clear answer in my research over the last year (and longer). I have a brand new MacBook (w El Capitan) I will not use yet for fear of letting loose of my Eudora on my old MacBook w/Snow Leopard. I know many of you "old timers" like myself (and KT) used Eudora. Even tho' this is not a DTP app, I just trust you guys--maybe it's the "we're all creative pros" thing?!

My Eudora is my life blood. I use it like a database for ALL of my correspondence and even sometimes entering data in as an "email" to myself just to keep it in my Eudora "database" for later reference.
1. I need multiple mailboxes (I presently use 150 different mailboxes)
2. I need filtering that I can write/define for my...
3. 17-20 different email addresses as they all come in.

My filters right now number about 40.
ie: If mail is TO: "xyz@kassj.com", and Subject: has "keyword" included, then put it in "THISmailbox."

I manage so many different businesses/clients that this sorting/filtering/storage is a deal-breaking issue for me. I am sure I can now whittle my mailboxes down by MAYBE half, but probably no more than that. I really rely on my Eudora for when I have to go back in time to find some info.

Any suggestions are sure welcome.

tia, kass
Kass Johns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2016, 05:02 PM   #2
annc
Sysop

Location: Subtropical Queensland, Australia, between the mountains and the Coral Sea

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kass Johns View Post
Hi gang!

It's been forever since I visited the Forum, but I need some advice. I cannot seem to get a clear answer in my research over the last year (and longer). I have a brand new MacBook (w El Capitan) I will not use yet for fear of letting loose of my Eudora on my old MacBook w/Snow Leopard. I know many of you "old timers" like myself (and KT) used Eudora. Even tho' this is not a DTP app, I just trust you guys--maybe it's the "we're all creative pros" thing?!

My Eudora is my life blood. I use it like a database for ALL of my correspondence and even sometimes entering data in as an "email" to myself just to keep it in my Eudora "database" for later reference.
1. I need multiple mailboxes (I presently use 150 different mailboxes)
2. I need filtering that I can write/define for my...
3. 17-20 different email addresses as they all come in.

My filters right now number about 40.
ie: If mail is TO: "xyz@kassj.com", and Subject: has "keyword" included, then put it in "THISmailbox."

I manage so many different businesses/clients that this sorting/filtering/storage is a deal-breaking issue for me. I am sure I can now whittle my mailboxes down by MAYBE half, but probably no more than that. I really rely on my Eudora for when I have to go back in time to find some info.

Any suggestions are sure welcome.

tia, kass
Hi Kass, good to see you posting here.

I was a Eudora user for many years, but have been using Apple Mail for a long time now and have some multi-step filters that work pretty well. But I'm still on Mavericks (10.9.5) because I've heard horror stories about upgrades causing problems, and I haven't upgraded my Adobe apps for a long time either. The older I get, the more tentative I've become about dealing with OS problems.

Why not look at the filters in Mail and see if you can set them up the way you want them? Mine have been very stable – so stable in fact that I haven't even edited any of them for several years.

Old 06-27-2016, 12:11 PM   #3
Kass Johns

Hi Ann!
This whole moving from Snow Leopard to El Capitan in one fell swoop is ok by me until I tried that new trackpad! What a Clusterf***! Why do I have to start thinking right button and left button and swooping w/my fingers! I still wish I had a damn mouse! Like the email client won't be problematic enough, that trackpad pisses me off!
Old 06-22-2016, 06:46 PM   #4
terrie
Staff

Hey Kass...

So nice to hear from you! I'm a bit rushed that the mo'--annoying day with no water and then the power out for hours--but I'm still using Eudora on the pc side along with Thunderbird and there are some interesting things in TBird that might prove useful to you but I won't have time until tomorrow to get the info together...

Terrie
terrie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2016, 12:12 PM   #5
Kass Johns

Hi Terrie!
Good point... don't we all have enough other crap going on in our lives to have to go and deal with software issues on top of life?! By now, the damn technology should be invisible to hassles for us!
Old 06-23-2016, 07:37 AM   #6
Steve Rindsberg
Staff

You can "non-destructively" use multiple email clients side-by-side while testing, once you whittle it down to just a couple of choices. It should be fairly simple if you use IMAP, but even with POP, you can tell all clients but your main one to leave a copy of all mail on the server and never to delete it. The next time you fire up your main client, it'll pull down all the mail (including the mail your "test case" has already looked at) and you've lost nothing.

Eudora's mailbox structure is standards-based (MBOX, I think it's called) so there are third-party programs that can move your Eudora email into other email clients. At least they're available on the Windows side; never tried it on Mac.

www.pptools.com
and stuff
Steve Rindsberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2016, 04:04 PM   #7
annc
Sysop

Location: Subtropical Queensland, Australia, between the mountains and the Coral Sea

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Rindsberg View Post
You can "non-destructively" use multiple email clients side-by-side while testing, once you whittle it down to just a couple of choices. It should be fairly simple if you use IMAP, but even with POP, you can tell all clients but your main one to leave a copy of all mail on the server and never to delete it. The next time you fire up your main client, it'll pull down all the mail (including the mail your "test case" has already looked at) and you've lost nothing.
I did that when I was testing Thunderbird a couple of years ago. It was very easy to set up and dismantle.

Old 06-25-2016, 05:03 PM   #8
Steve Rindsberg
Staff

Yep. I do pretty much the same thing with my iPhone or the iPad, which I allow to download but never delete email. Sometimes with the traveling laptop too, though usually I move the whole hulking Outlook PST file over to it and carry on normally. And stay calm. One must first Stay Calm, and only then may one Carry On.

www.pptools.com
and stuff
Old 06-26-2016, 05:52 PM   #9
annc
Sysop

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Rindsberg View Post
Yep. I do pretty much the same thing with my iPhone or the iPad, which I allow to download but never delete email. Sometimes with the traveling laptop too, though usually I move the whole hulking Outlook PST file over to it and carry on normally. And stay calm. One must first Stay Calm, and only then may one Carry On.
I needed that Stay Calm the first time I deleted 100+ emails from my iPhone. I was on the other side of the country without my MacBook Pro and checked the settings many times before I plucked up the courage to delete them all.

Old 06-27-2016, 06:55 AM   #10
Steve Rindsberg
Staff

LOL! I know the feeling well.

Or the first time you create a new virtual machine and the OS installer wants to know if it's ok to format your hard drive. "It's only a virtual drive, It's only a virtual drive" you keep telling yourself. Not quite believing it.

www.pptools.com
and stuff