DTP

Lively discussions on the graphic arts and publishing — in print or on the web

Go Back   Desktop Publishing Forum > General Discussions > Software

Old 06-07-2016, 04:32 PM   #1
Hugh Wyn Griffith

Default Windows 10 is not "One size fits all"

Over in the CompuServe Windows Forum there's a lot of discussion about moving to Windows 10 and much despising of Windows 10 by the elite techies we have who are invaluable for support but I believe have too narrow a view of the Microsoft transformation from Window 7 to 10.

Much is made about the dreadful Start Screen, the use of Tiles instead of a menu structure, and a GUI not suitable for traditional business use on desktops. Although there is a trickle of convertees among them who have actually tried Window 10 especially after unhappy experiences with Windows 8 including some who really laud the ability to travel with a tablet using exactly the same OS and applications as in the Office on desktops and even to link their tablet to the home system.

In a recent thread I found myself posting some surprising discoveries after booting to the Windows 10 Pro testbed using 32 bit version for compatibility with one application that Dottie will not do without. It's set up with a standard LCD 23 in screen.

I do have a touchscreen tablet with 8.1 Standard on it so I do have some experience of that too.

Here's a merged edit of a couple of my posts:

==============================

<< So, what tiles open FULL featured programs instead of dumbed down/watered down APPS??? >>

This was a question triggered by my reference to using desktop icons in 7 as if it were a Start Screen but not touch sensitive and I replied:

Every one that I want to have as a Tile is on my StartScreen -- all you have to do is open a Desktop Shortcut's Context menu and select Pin to
Start

And every Tile on my StartScreen by default is only there because I have NOT selected Unpin from Start on its Context Menu.

How extraordinary -- Windows 8.1 which is what is on my tablet at present and I just opened up to check. I'll check the 10 on my desktop later on but I know it also has an easily accessible, word-form All Programs
display.

I took the opportunity just now to remove the OpenDrive tile since I don't use it and to check some of the desktop icons like CCleaner and Revo Uninstaller to see that I could add them as Tiles to the Start Screen if I
wanted to for access but I don't.

But several that might need access from the Start Screen when that is more convenient are already there.

Perhaps your Windows has other facilities you don't know about?

<< Frankly, I don't think icons are like tiles, it is the other way around - tiles are like icons, but aimed at the kids who grew up on Sesame Street and the other tv programs for short attention span learners >>

Nonsense -- my wife was a champion running Air Traffic Control on her TRS-80 II and she appreciates the simplicity of Tiles just as she gets lost on the menu structure of Windows .... and the home phone system because of what she only uses occasionally suddenly become necessary and she has to remember a complex word pattern.

Every human being reacts more quickly to visual instructions once they learn to read them just as they had to learn to read their native language. It's the nature of the beast!

Don't waste your energy on despising what's going to be there whether you like it or not and if you want to stick to what you are used to doing then do so.......

=================

[Here's an Addendum to my earlier reply after going to Windows 10 on my desktop. I learned some useful thing! ]

Firstly those animated tiles you hate -- right mouse click on them to get the Context Menu / Select More / Select the entry Turn Live Tile OFF to stop the animation!

I just did that a few of them and now Outlook / Money and some others are simple static tile links and Xbox and a few others are no longer there while Candy whatever (wherever that came from!) has been
uninstalled ...

There's the Techie Menu you get if you Right Mouse Click on the Start button which contains specific items like Disk Management that you really had to know where it was to find it.

And WINKEY+X, K will take you to Disk Management too -- each item on the menu has a Key letter .....

And there's an All Programs menu in all words with drop down sub-menus that I found hard to distinguish to what I have on 7 except it does not pop out the sub menus.

I hope all those findings aren't because I have the Pro version and not the Standard one.

Hugh
Hugh Wyn Griffith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2016, 07:32 AM   #2
Steve Rindsberg
Staff

>> I hope all those findings aren't because I have the Pro version and not the Standard one.

I don't believe so. And my experience with the tiles in Win 8 and 10 (never got around to trying 8.1) is the same. Once you figure out how to pin and unpin programs, it's quite easy to customize things. You may or may not like the tiles vs icons, and you can't turn your desktop into a pigsty mess of iconage the way I typically do, but otherwise, functionally they're about the same.

Interestingly, we've actually *lost* a bit of useful functionality going from 8 to 10; in 8, from the desktop, you could simply start typing and it'd pop up a list of programs/files that match, much the way the Search box does in Win7 and Win10. Heh. I never thought I'd miss *anything* about Win8, but there you go.

On the other hand, all of the settings have moved around for no apparent reason, my laptop with Win10 continually loses mapped network drives and issues imbecilic error messages when I try to access the missing drive letters, it takes forever for it to set up WiFi connections and gives no feedback that it's in process of doing so; if I knew it was working on it and that it'd likely work given a minute or three more, I'd find it easier to be patient, but instead it just seems to have failed, so I try something else, which of course will also appear to have failed and so it goes.

And the updates. I have a couple Win10 VMs that I use for testing. I needed to use one of them the other day to check something that'd normally have taken less than five minutes. Two hours later the hard drive was still chugging madly away and whatever it was doing so totally hogged the computer as to make it all but unresponsive.

The laptop with Win10 on the real hardware is on most of the time and can talk to the mothership whenever it likes; so far it hasn't done this. But for PCs that only get occasional use, Win10 can be all but unusable.

www.pptools.com
and stuff
Steve Rindsberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2016, 09:09 AM   #3
Kelvyn
Staff

I have been using Win10 since the first public Betas, initialy on one of my offics PCs, and once released on all PCs and laptops, without any problems at all. I use the Win 7 style layout with tiles accessed from the Win icon (not really a start button....). I have changed the tiles so they link to my secondary range of programs, my main programs are on the task bar.

Updates are under my control and I rarely need to reboot.

One revelation was on a tiny Samsung netbook that I have. It did use the cut down version of Win7 - but when I updated it to Win10 the speed increase I obtained was not expected at all.

I'm not using the Pro version for any of my machines.

I suppose if I have one grouch it is that after a rare reboot I have to stop iis from running, as it prevents my Wamp server from firing up.

Web site design, hosting and marketing, Keswick in the UK Lake District

If you are planning a visit to Keswick then try Keswick Tourist Information website

Kelvyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2016, 04:02 PM   #4
Hugh Wyn Griffith

Quote:
Updates are under my control and I rarely need to reboot.
Under 10?

I booted into my Windows 10 testbed and I could not find any place for personal preferences in Updating like the Check and advise me but don't download or install like in Windows 7.

And even more annoying, when I went to Shutdown and clicked to get the shutdown choices, usually Shutdown / Restart / Log Off I found I could only Update and Shutdown / Update and Restart or Log Off

And when I selected the first since it was bedtime (for me and the computer!) I had to wait an appreciable and annoying period of time while it sat there doing its Updating Computer don't turn off ....

If you've found a way to avoid this please share.

This was on my desktop but I'm planning to upgrade my tablet as soon as I image the hard drive .....

I have not been back to see if this only happens if there is an update but I can imagine on a portable device having to wait live on line eating data from my Download Amount instead of allowing me to wait until I was home and plugged into the Internet direct would be more than annoying!

Hugh
Old 06-13-2016, 02:51 AM   #5
Kelvyn
Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hugh Wyn Griffith View Post

If you've found a way to avoid this please share.
It is a bit of a faff to set up, but this is how to set up the system I use on my netbook, as that is the only Win machine I use away from home, (although I now usually use a lightweight Chromebook or Nexus tablet when seeing clients).

http://betanews.com/2016/02/22/contr...ws-10-updates/

For all other PCs & laptops I just use the Win 10 settings, to notify when updates are available, and also I turned on the option to copy/share the update files between machines on our network.

If you are planning a visit to Keswick then try Keswick Tourist Information website

Old 06-13-2016, 08:11 AM   #6
Hugh Wyn Griffith

Thanks for the pointer. I'm asking more technically knowledgeable people in Windows Forums on CIS if they'd look at what it does and maybe try it since it refers to stuff I know less than nothing about!

Quote:
For all other PCs & laptops I just use the Win 10 settings, to notify when updates are available, and also I turned on the option to copy/share the update files between machines on our network.
Is that without using this add-on? I have Pro but didn't see that option anywhere in the Settings for Update in Windows 10 Pro 32 bit but with a new layout and vocabulary it's all to easy to miss where things are located.

Hugh
Old 06-14-2016, 02:16 AM   #7
Kelvyn
Staff

In my Win 10 Home 64bit it is in Settings - Update and Security - Advanced options

Old 06-08-2016, 07:34 PM   #8
Andrew B.
Staff

Quote:
And there's an All Programs menu in all words with drop down sub-menus that I found hard to distinguish to what I have on 7 except it does not pop out the sub menus.
What do you mean by "not pop out."

Old 06-09-2016, 08:20 AM   #9
Hugh Wyn Griffith

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew B. View Post
What do you mean by "not pop out."
Pop out sideways instead of drop down ....

Some like the pop out and at one time I think Windows did the pop out sideways.

Not critical so far as I am concerned

Hugh
Old 06-10-2016, 09:37 AM   #10
Andrew B.
Staff

Quote:
Pop out sideways instead of drop down ....
In an earlier version of Windows 10 I saw a problem in that they didn't pop at all. It was fully expanded. Or, at least, that's what an article shows. But take a look at this youtube beginning at 39 seconds. It appears to be standard Windows Explorer behavior

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DuEKJAgN4wE

I have one more question. Earlier you were holding off moving to Windows 10 because you said it was not done yet. Do you feel it is done now?