DTP

Lively discussions on the graphic arts and publishing — in print or on the web

Go Back   Desktop Publishing Forum > General Discussions > Software

Old 05-19-2016, 02:29 PM   #1
terrie
Staff

Default Windows 7 - by any other name would smell as...?

Soooo...Microsoft has taken pity (read: people are really pissed off) on long suffering Windows 7 users who have spent hours and hours and sometimes days trying to download and install Windows 7 updates (while also trying to avoid the Windows 10 nagware) by creating a "Convenience Rollup" (sort of like toilet paper?) of all Windows 7 updates released since SP1 through April 2016--heaven forfend that Microsoft call it "SP2"!

Of course, the big question is whether it contains the Windows 10 nagware "updates".

According askvg.com, it does not. The askvg.com page offers direct links to the download(s)--scroll down to find the "Direct Download Links of Convenience Rollup Package" section--so that one doesn't have to go through the non-working Microsoft update catalog page (IE required, along with activating Active-X--sooooo very secure). In addition, the page has instructions on how to install the "rollup" along with a list of KB's included.

There is also an article on this from extremetech.com which lists the suspect Window 10 nagware and telemetry KB's 3 of which (see below) are the telemetry/tracking "updates" but Microsoft did not include the infamous "gwx.exe" (get windows 10) :

KB3068708 (Included in update pack)
KB3075249 (Included in update pack)
KB3080149 (Included in update pack)

Nagware, not included:
KB2952664
KB2977759
KB3022345
KB3050267
KB3035583
KB3146449

Theoretically, one could either uninstall or stop those telemetry or tracking updates by setting the "Diagnostic Tracking Service" to "disabled" (Control Panel > Administrative Tools > Services)

Have fun! '-}}

Terrie

Last edited by terrie; 05-23-2016 at 01:25 PM. Reason: mod KB list to clarify
terrie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2016, 07:45 AM   #2
Steve Rindsberg
Staff

Thanks for that, Terrie.

On the other hand, I think I'll start the weekend drinking early. It shouldn't need a degree in advanced computer rocket surgery just to use the damn PC in peace. Acquiring/protecting myself against/recovering from MS updates has cost me orders of magnitude more time and worry than anything the malware floggers have visited upon me in the 20 or so years since my computers first touched the internet.

www.pptools.com
and stuff
Steve Rindsberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2016, 12:40 PM   #3
terrie
Staff

Quote:
steve: Acquiring/protecting myself against/recovering from MS updates has cost me orders of magnitude more time and worry than anything the malware floggers have visited upon me in the 20 or so years since my computers first touched the internet.
Indeed! That's exactly my feeling which is why I have followed my policy of "Just Set Never" and blocked all Win7 updates avenues.

There are a couple of threads on this at dslreports--in a couple of different sub-forums--and I'll follow-up if anything interesting pops up.

Terrie
Old 05-21-2016, 07:40 AM   #4
Steve Rindsberg
Staff

I use virtual machines frequently. Well, always. And on the most-used Win7 ones, I'll every so often tell them to lie back, close their eyes and Think of England. Then let MS have its way with them. If that all works out ok, I might do the same for my main machine. Or not. So far .... not.

www.pptools.com
and stuff
Old 05-21-2016, 12:46 PM   #5
terrie
Staff

Quote:
steve: So far .... not.
Perzackly...'-}}

There was an interesting thread last week in which I discussed XPMode with a very knowledgeable user who talked about the history of XPMode. He said that it was created by a European-based Microsoft group as a way to move companies away from WinXP/W2K to Vista (ugh!) while maintaining a sort of backward compatibility and, that XPMode had a number of internal differences from other VM's at the time most notably recognition of USB printers and (relatively crappy) video support.

It was interesting to me because I'd noticed that I had problems with XPMode recognizing a USB thumbdrive and the somewhat poor video quality but they weren't problems large enough to stop me from using XPMode. I never made the connection between the fact that my USB thumbdrive didn't work but, the USB printer(s) do.

If I'm remembering correctly, you use VMware. Are there "restrictions" on USB drives--as in, do they work ok--and what video options are available via VMware? I suspect that there are few if any issues with USB and video because my impression is that VMware is pretty sophisticated. True or no?

Terrie

Last edited by terrie; 05-23-2016 at 12:41 PM. Reason: fix a typo
Old 05-23-2016, 05:39 AM   #6
Steve Rindsberg
Staff

As I mentioned somewhere else, I don't push the video really hard, but I do recall that XPMode's video support was pretty much plain VGA-sorta thing. VMWare can support multiple monitors, or so I understand, but I've never used it that way. USB drives and other plug'n'play devices can be a little weird until you make a couple settings (and IIRC, the desired settings are now the defaults, which helps. Lots.) As long as you tell the VM "Hands off the USB until I *tell* you to touch it" everything works reasonably well.

Isn't XPMode a sort of dedicated version of Microsoft's Virtual PC product with XP pre-rigged? I have that impression, but run it past (or under the wheels of) your knowledgeable user before spreading that rumor further.

www.pptools.com
and stuff
Old 05-23-2016, 12:38 PM   #7
terrie
Staff

Quote:
steve: Isn't XPMode a sort of dedicated version of Microsoft's Virtual PC product with XP pre-rigged?
Basically, yeah. I had always thought it was "pure" WinXP that had hooks to work in the VM environement but that's not the case as it's specially coded for Microsoft's Virtual PC which I also didn't realize was not a generic VM (so to speak). Hyper-V is Microsoft's new (?) VM approach and I think it only works in Win10 but I'm not sure about that.

>>but I do recall that XPMode's video support was pretty much plain VGA-sorta thing.

Yeah...and I didn't really notice that until I installed XPMode on my new system. I think I'd not noticed it because on my old system I only installed Quicken 4 for Windows and WinCim neither of which would stress whatever video is installed. On my new system, before I decided to buy my new printer (Brother 5470W), I had installed WordPerfect 8 so that I could print my user-defined cards on my HP2200D using the XP drivers.

It's good to know that VMWare is more sophisticated...

Terrie
Old 06-02-2016, 03:54 PM   #8
terrie
Staff

Steve...

Just found out that if one is using VMWare, Microsoft's "rollup" might cause problems (the tp is perhaps too harsh? '-}}):

From the VMWare blogs:

"This update has incompatibility issues with virtual machines running on the VMware vSphere virtualization platform. This incompatibility is confined to one specific configuration scenario – It impacts VMs that use the VMware VMXNet3 virtual network adapter type."

Terrie
Old 06-02-2016, 07:23 PM   #9
Steve Rindsberg
Staff

VSphere is kinda big-iron stuff. I just use VMWare Desktop.

Thanks for the head-zup though.

www.pptools.com
and stuff
Old 06-02-2016, 08:09 PM   #10
terrie
Staff

Ahhhh...I was unaware of the different flavors...

Terrie