DTP

Lively discussions on the graphic arts and publishing — in print or on the web

Go Back   Desktop Publishing Forum > General Discussions > Software

Old 03-25-2016, 03:28 PM   #1
terrie
Staff

Default Steve Gibson to the rescue saving us from Win10...

Steve Gibson's GRC has developed Never10:

"Never 10 is an easy to use utility which gives users control over whether their Windows 7 or 8.1 will upgrade itself to Windows 10."

Basically, what Never10 does is to modify the same settings that Microsoft specified would block the Windows 10 upgrade which required the use of Group Policy Editor (gpedit.msc) which is not available to all users--only the Pro and Enterprise versions have gpedit.

According to GRC, Never 10 "...does not install any software of its own. It simply and quickly performs the required system editing for its user."

Terrie
terrie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2016, 06:50 PM   #2
Hugh Wyn Griffith

Interesting. I suggest reading

http://www.neowin.net/forum/topic/12...-steve-gibson/

by him on it before deciding to use it rather than one of the others since he says he did some things too hastily and he needs to put them right "some day"

His "tiles" look so like the layout of the actual control panel of GWX Control ......

Hugh
Hugh Wyn Griffith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2016, 07:31 PM   #3
terrie
Staff

I got the sense from reading the page I linked to that he would be updating it given the changes that Microsoft has made to Windows Update--the actual code that handles the process has been mod'd--"...we have found few that still contain that old version of Windows Update. So we will shortly be updating this utility to dynamically download the proper update only when it would actually be needed on a system."

Terrie
Old 03-26-2016, 02:48 PM   #4
terrie
Staff

There's been some discussion over in dslreports.com's Microsoft forum dicussion of Never10 which compares Never10 and GWX Control Panel. From that reading, GWX Control Panel is more powerful and offers a bit more control--I don't have either of these utilities installed so I'm going by what I've read.

A dslreport.com user outlined the differences between GWX Control Panel and Never10 as follows:

1. GWX Control Panel can remove the Microsoft GWX icon from the systray...

2. GWX-CP can restore the Windows Update control panel if it gets hijacked by the Win10 installer

3. Both GWX-CP and Never10 can mod the Windows system settings to prevent the Win10 upgrade--basically, it does what one could do with gpedit which is available only on Windows Pro and Enterprise versions.

4. GWX-CP will delete hidden Windows 10 installer folders and files that Microsoft downloads to your system

5. GWX-CP has a number of optional alerts:
- unexpected changes related to Windows 10 settings and files in case a Microsoft update should "accidentally" reverse them

- if the Windows Update settings change to install updates automatically

- deletes certain program files that are known to cause Windows 10 upgrades and other nags

GWX-CP displays a computer status summary with respect to Win10 settings and files

Sooo...Never10 is more an easy, quick and dirty gpedit without having to have gpedit while GWX Control Panel provides greater functionality and control...

Terrie

Last edited by terrie; 03-26-2016 at 03:27 PM. Reason: fix a typo
Old 03-27-2016, 08:58 AM   #5
Steve Rindsberg
Staff

From what I see on the DSL reports page, the UI for GWX-CP is considerably more detailed/granular and, at least to me, makes a lot more sense.

I'm guessing that the button captions on the GRC version change depending on whether there's a "WIN10 Danger, Will Robinson" warning or not, whereas GWX-CP shows you all the options and grays out the ones that aren't relevant for the most part. I prefer that.

www.pptools.com
and stuff
Steve Rindsberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2016, 01:47 PM   #6
terrie
Staff

At this point, apparently Never10's display changes depending on what it finds with respect to which Windows Update Client version is installed on the system in question. If it finds an old version of the WU client it will offer to get the current version and install it. And then one needs to run Never10 after rebooting--because you had it install the new client--and choose to allow Never10 to change the appropriate "gpedit" settings.

Never10 is definitely less sophisticated than GWX-CP but as a quick and dirty check on which version of Windows Update Client is installed and a quick way to turn off the Win10 upgrade settings which for the unsophisticated user on a Win7/8/8.1 Home system, it's useful--they can move to GWX-CP when full blown paranoia sets in...'-}}

If I had the affected Windows Update Client version installed, I'm definitely with you in preferring GWX-CP--I had no idea how sophisticated GWX-CP was until I read that dslreports.com forum posting.

Terrie

Terrie