DTP

Lively discussions on the graphic arts and publishing — in print or on the web

Go Back   Desktop Publishing Forum > General Discussions > Web Site Building & Maintenance

Old 11-30-2015, 11:54 AM   #1
dacoyle

Location: Arlington, VA (across the river from Washington, DC)
Default CSS/jQuery for locked navigation/scrolling text

Page example: http://www.fhwa.dot.gov/hep/whats_new/

If it's possible, we would like our left-side navigation locked and visible when scrolling long pages. Whether the 2nd header (Highway Traffic Noise with blue background) stays visible or not isn't a concern. We'd prefer a CSS-only solution, but if we have to use jQuery that's OK.

All of our pages are in the same ColdFusion template. (That's all we have available.) The basic structure is the same on all pages, other than a handful of pages that use a different ID for the content area.

The very top FHWA header is totally separate. The bar under that is also separate. From the "Highway Traffic Noise" banner to just above the page footer is wrapped in <div id="wrapper"> <div id="subnavigation"> is nested in that, followed by <div id="contents">

Some pages use id="pagecontents" in the same nesting. Example: http://www.fhwa.dot.gov/environment/noise/ (this is to allow the right-side box to have its own column.

Because of the structure, we're not even sure if this can work. It's all built with CF includes and the contents/pagecontents area.

Anyone have any ideas? Are there still any CSS gurus here? We're even open to positoin: sticky; if that's an option.

thanks,

Dennis

ps; this isn't my first post, but I couldn't get my password reset so had to create a new ID to post this.
dacoyle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2015, 07:03 PM   #2
terrie
Staff

Don't have a clue about the CSS other than to say that it drive me nuts when the left-side navigation floats...'-}}

When did you have a problem with your password? We had some behind the scenes server/software updates and we were offline a couple of times while that was being done and I wonder if you perhaps got stuck in the midst of that.

I've touched base with Ann as I know she can fiddle with userids so we'll check it out...

Hope you had a good turkey day weekend...'-}}

Terrie
terrie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2015, 08:30 PM   #3
dacoyle

Quote:
Originally Posted by terrie View Post
Don't have a clue about the CSS other than to say that it drive me nuts when the left-side navigation floats..
A recent Jakob Nielson newsletter talked about the left nav staying visible is better for long pages. All of our left-nav already floats left; I just want it to stay visible when visitors scroll down long pages.

Ann is helping with my account.

Dennis

Old 12-01-2015, 12:05 AM   #4
Kelvyn
Staff

Add position:fixed; to the left-nav div.

Web site design, hosting and marketing, Keswick in the UK Lake District

If you are planning a visit to Keswick then try Keswick Tourist Information website

Kelvyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2015, 09:08 AM   #5
Hugh Wyn Griffith

Quote:
If you are planning a visit to Keswick then try Keswick Tourist Information website
I wish -- we have such fond memories of our visits and of the wonderful places they found for us just by walking in .....

Alas too many years ago, maybe 15, and little hope of returning.

Hugh
Hugh Wyn Griffith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2015, 10:37 AM   #6
dacoyle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kelvyn View Post
Add position:fixed; to the left-nav div.
We've tried that. But because of the structure, we have to include

top: 175px;

to clear the headers. So the navigation scrolls, but always with 175px space above it. It also changes the width of the subnavigation div since setting the position take sit out of the normal flow.

Old 12-01-2015, 11:49 AM   #7
dacoyle

Kelvyn,

This is how we'd like it to work:

http://spoiledmilk.com/demos/sticky-sidebar/

I may play around with that tomorrow, though I know just about nothing about javascript

Old 12-02-2015, 02:06 AM   #8
Kelvyn
Staff

You really have to plan for a fixed element when setting up a page template. After that, as you are finding, it is more difficult. The example you give uses js apparently to ensure the sidebar remains static with older browsers.

Any approach is likely to fail when on smaller viewports - or is the site non-responsive. I get service unavailable for the links you gave.

Web site design, hosting and marketing, Keswick in the UK Lake District

Kelvyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2015, 11:35 AM   #9
dacoyle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kelvyn View Post
You really have to plan for a fixed element when setting up a page template. After that, as you are finding, it is more difficult. The example you give uses js apparently to ensure the sidebar remains static with older browsers.

Any approach is likely to fail when on smaller viewports - or is the site non-responsive. I get service unavailable for the links you gave.
Our server sucks. The site tends to crash once a day.

We have a lot of flexibility with our template because of the nested includes, but we're putting this on hold for now. Posting a new thread that I hope has an easier solution.