DTP

Lively discussions on the graphic arts and publishing — in print or on the web

Go Back   Desktop Publishing Forum > General Discussions > Software

Old 05-19-2015, 10:39 AM   #1
Andrew B.
Staff

Default Internet Explorer 11

I haven't given IE much of a try since back when Microsoft first released it to do battle with Netscape. And I have long been surprised when I hear about people who like it. But I've been using IE 11 for several weeks and I think it's a decent browser. The main thing is I took time to learn where some features are, such as how to have a fixed sidebar for bookmarks and history.

OTOH, I am posting this message from Opera, and I hope Vivaldi becomes a reality. But IE is not bad. At least for now. Maybe there are some gotchas that will show up after long-term use.

Old 05-19-2015, 12:29 PM   #2
LoisWakeman
Staff

My husband went back to IE when his installation of Chrome (and reinstallation) kept repeatedly crashing. (Win 7)

Mind you, IE has the annoying habit of occasionally telling us it has stopped working to safeguard us from unknown internet threats (as if, given our tame viewing!)
LoisWakeman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2015, 02:46 PM   #3
terrie
Staff

I've never used IE except when forced to and I will admit that my avoidance might be irrational at this point in its existence but, it gives me the willies even thinking about using it...'-}}

I've never ever used Chrome. When I read that you can't control when it updates itself that sealed my disinterest in using it. On the whole, I've been pleased with PaleMoon--thanks Andrew!

Terrie
terrie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2015, 08:06 PM   #4
curveto

Location: some room with white padded walls ... now surrounded by Saguaro Cacti

Quote:
Originally Posted by terrie View Post
I've never used IE except when forced to and I will admit that my avoidance might be irrational at this point in its existence but, it gives me the willies even thinking about using it...'-}}

I've never ever used Chrome. When I read that you can't control when it updates itself that sealed my disinterest in using it. On the whole, I've been pleased with PaleMoon--thanks Andrew!

Terrie
It's easy to keep Chrome from updating itself!
You just disconnect the network connection.

<couldn't resist/>
curveto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2015, 11:19 AM   #5
terrie
Staff

Quote:
curveto: <couldn't resist/>
LOL!!! '-}}

Terrie
Old 05-21-2015, 06:37 AM   #6
Andrew B.
Staff

I just installed Firefox and it's a lot quicker than IE. I guess starting over with clean install of all software has leveled the playing field, and now Firefox is no longer bloated with addons.

One about IE, though. It's handy for grabbing images from the web. They are all sitting right there in the cache. I've yet to figure out how to copy from the caches of other browsers.

Old 05-20-2015, 01:03 AM   #7
Kelvyn
Staff

A big cheer went up from web developers when M$ announced that they were killing off IE with the launch of Windows 10. IE has always been behind the rest with web standards compliance, so IE version conditional css and workarounds have had to be set up for anything but a very basic website. IE11 is the closest they have got to a fully compliant browser, and it does have good developer tools built in.

So we now look forward to the Edge browser (AKA Project Spartan) which represents a significantly different way to browse the web. Some of the features are shown on http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/w...rosoft-edge-pc

IE will still be included for Win10 Enterprise users as there are still some historical systems that require the use of the IE browser, but I'm pretty sure that within 6 months web developers will stop trying to cater for old IE versions.

Web site design, hosting and marketing, Keswick in the UK Lake District

If you are planning a visit to Keswick then try Keswick Tourist Information website

Kelvyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2015, 04:21 AM   #8
Bo Aakerstrom

I guess that 6 month time depends who you develop for. There will be some businesses stuck with older versions for a few years to come. And is their new offering going to be better in every way? My guess is that they'll find a way to mess something up.

Old 05-20-2015, 12:23 PM   #9
terrie
Staff

Quote:
kelvyn: So we now look forward to the Edge browser (AKA Project Spartan)
"Only Microsoft Edge has your chatty personal assistant, Cortana, right in the address bar. She's there to help you do things faster and easier"

Oh god!!!! NOOOOOO!!!!!!

Terrie
Old 05-21-2015, 07:15 AM   #10
Steve Rindsberg
Staff

LOL! Google's smartphone apps have the same sort of thing. You can tell them what you want to search for rather than typing on that teeny little keyboard. You can certainly confuse it if you try, and using it in the midst of an ongoing three-party conversation gets entertaining quickly, it works VERY well.

I suspect (hope! PRAY!) that MS learned their lesson with Clippie. Offer help, but only when the user ASKS for it.

www.pptools.com
and stuff
Steve Rindsberg is offline   Reply With Quote