DTP

Lively discussions on the graphic arts and publishing — in print or on the web

Go Back   Desktop Publishing Forum > General Discussions > Software

Old 02-12-2015, 03:55 PM   #1
groucho
Staff

Default Still possible to buy Adobe Creative Suite?

Is it still possible to buy CS5.5 or something similar? As opposed to renting one of the new versions from the cloud?

Or has Adobe cut off all sources of that, including "old stock" on the net?
groucho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2015, 07:04 PM   #2
terrie
Staff

A very quick check at amazon shows that there are sellers for cs5 but probably the first place I'd check is ebay, particularly if you want cs5 (vs. cs6--last before the online abomination)...

Terrie
terrie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2015, 07:35 PM   #3
Andrew B.
Staff

See if this page helps you. I saw Illustrator CS6 standalone there. http://www.adobe.com/products/catalo...ivesuite6.html

Old 02-13-2015, 08:09 AM   #4
groucho
Staff

Thanks, guys. I'd previously found some links for used software (possibly not transferable) and for "mafiaware", i.e. where the product really isn't available, they're just looking for your cc information so they can steal it. And the usual pages full of anything except what the link was about.

CS6 would be preferable, Illustrator not so much as InDesign.
Old 02-13-2015, 08:33 AM   #5
Andrew B.
Staff

Oops. I thought you wanted Illustrator. They also have more than one flavor of the suite, InDesign, and everything else. I clicked the "buy" button and it seems to work. You can also order by phone from Adobe.

They even have Fireworks CS6, which sort of surprised me.

Old 02-13-2015, 09:18 AM   #6
groucho
Staff

Mind you, I'm Wintel and always have been. The few Wintel bundles on ebay are rather pricey (especially to those of us with no flash, etc. motivation) and the few reasonably priced bundles for "obsolete" CS6 are educationals, with their own requirements.

Funny, Quark4 still runs and prints just fine under Vista and 7. PageMaker final? Nope. Gotta keep an old machine set up for that.(G)
Old 02-13-2015, 09:39 AM   #7
Andrew B.
Staff

I'm confused now. Adobe is selling Windows versions that are not cloud versions at standard Adobe prices. What's the problem?

Old 02-13-2015, 09:58 AM   #8
groucho
Staff

"Standard" might be the problem. I'm seeing prices well over a thousand dollars and really, don't need Flash, don't need a second copy of Acrobat, don't really think those prices should be necessary for a "keep up with the OS" upgrade.

But Adobe and Aldus never did understand the NT platform, which is what Windows has been for a long time now. (Resulting in problems as obsolete programming choices failed to work in OS upgrades.)

What do you call reasonable or standard? A grand? Two? (G)
Old 02-13-2015, 11:33 AM   #9
terrie
Staff

I wonder if it might be easier and, if you are lucky, could be less expensive to just look for the individual bits of the suite that you need?

Terrie
terrie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2015, 11:57 AM   #10
groucho
Staff

I would think so, Terry. But to find InDesign "solo"...I see CS3 with Indesign and Photoshop for $700, assuming it is legit and the older versioning isn't a problem, which it might be, working with contemporary files. Lots of folks are selling "new, used, retail, academic" versions at that price too, with no real idea of wtf they are selling.

I remember when Lotus123 used disk protection (hard errors on the install floppies) and system crashes meant a user WOULD have to install more than the original software allowed. So...pretty much everyone got crack software to bypass that routine, and then as long as you had spent the extra money, well, LOYALTY was already a burned bridge.

Lotus learned their lesson and dumped that approach pretty quickly. Seems like all the new kids haven't learned that much history yet.

Make life hard for the customer base, and they'll find a way to make their lives easier.

I don't expect "free" or even close to it, but the thousand dollar bills and the sellers who make Shenzhen look like the Vatican...Isn't that how GIMP displaced a number of Photoshop licenses?