DTP

Lively discussions on the graphic arts and publishing — in print or on the web

Go Back   Desktop Publishing Forum > General Discussions > Software

Old 09-19-2014, 12:44 PM   #1
CMAR606

Default I've fallen in love with a program thats DOA

.... A program that prob NO ONE uses anymore...

A program YOU NEVER hear about anymore..............

GET READY FOR A FLASH BACK TO THE 80S LOL...........

* DRUM ROLL PLEASE*

Wonderful.... EUDORA 7.1 !!! :P

Omg I just love this program even though I have been a hard core Outlook user for half of the 30 years I have existed on this planet.
But I just worry with it being an orphaned program, Something will crash and I will loose all my emails.

Christopher
CMAR606 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2014, 07:55 AM   #2
Steve Rindsberg
Staff

Unless things have changed, Eudora stores its mail in MBOX format, which quite a few other mail programs and/or conversion utilities can read/write. Besides that, software doesn't stop working because it becomes orphaned. Keep the necessary installer files handy, keep your old computer around for a while when you get a new one, to make sure that Eudora will work on the new one or to convert your files if not, and you should be fine.

My wife still uses it but I'm afraid I'll have to drag her kicking and screaming to Outlook before long. She often gets email in Japanese, but I haven't sorted out how to read those in Eudora, if it can even be done.

www.pptools.com
and stuff
Steve Rindsberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2014, 07:19 PM   #3
CMAR606

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Rindsberg View Post
Unless things have changed, Eudora stores its mail in MBOX format, which quite a few other mail programs and/or conversion utilities can read/write. Besides that, software doesn't stop working because it becomes orphaned. Keep the necessary installer files handy, keep your old computer around for a while when you get a new one, to make sure that Eudora will work on the new one or to convert your files if not, and you should be fine.

My wife still uses it but I'm afraid I'll have to drag her kicking and screaming to Outlook before long. She often gets email in Japanese, but I haven't sorted out how to read those in Eudora, if it can even be done.

IN JAPANESE?!?! wow... Eudora cant decode Japanese text?
Old 09-28-2014, 08:13 AM   #4
Steve Rindsberg
Staff

Nope, it can't. Your message reminded me that I needed to research this some more. I found a detailed page where the author had tested all of the major email programs and some I'd never even heard of for their ability to work with non-English text.

He specifically called out Eudora as the only one that was utterly unable to deal with Japanese.

So I concocted a way for Herself to try out Outlook somewhat reversibly, found a program that would convert her mailbox from Eudora to Outlook PST, imported her Eudora contacts into Outlook, spent an hour or so trying to cudgel Outlook into naming her account properly and putting the data files where *I* wanted them to go and figured I'd hear the storms of complaint for the next month or so.

So far, not a peep.

Go figure.

www.pptools.com
and stuff
Old 09-28-2014, 08:25 AM   #5
CMAR606

So I guess that means RIP Eudora for yall lol.

Christopher
Old 09-29-2014, 06:27 AM   #6
Steve Rindsberg
Staff

I'd already had to switch to Outlook for other reasons, but for She Who Must Read Japanese, yep. We could have gotten along if she'd been able to forward Japanese-language email to me, but by the time Eudora had a look at it and gave up, it was pretty much dog's breakfast, and I don't know how to spell "Lazarus" in Japanese. ;-)

But other than that, Eudora's a solid piece of work. You could probably use it happily for years to come if it meets your needs now.

www.pptools.com
and stuff
Old 09-29-2014, 07:40 AM   #7
CMAR606

Oh you were a Eudora user too?

what OL are you using? OFFICE XP, 2003, 2007 2010 2013?
Old 09-30-2014, 06:17 AM   #8
Steve Rindsberg
Staff

Eudora and I met on a blind date, introduced to one another by Al Gore right after he dropped the last couple pavers on the info highway into place. ;-)

I used it for a long long time until I switched to Pegasus (which is still being maintained and actively developed) because it was very like Eudora but a good deal more powerful in many ways.

Finally got dragged by circumstances to OL a couple years ago. Still not entirely happy about that, but it works. Not as well as the combination of Pegasus/Eudora and Ecco for contacts/calendar/notes did, but it works.

www.pptools.com
and stuff
Old 09-30-2014, 06:51 AM   #9
CMAR606

LMAO at met on a blind date.

I tried Pegasus recently ( like last week) and after 2 min I gave up and uninstalled it and have been using Eudora since. Found peg too hard to use and setup.

CWM030@AOL.COM

Dont worry this address is a valid address but I publicly use it to protect my actual address from Spam. My replies will come from my domain address.
Old 10-01-2014, 07:23 AM   #10
Steve Rindsberg
Staff

Peg does take a bit more getting accustomed to. Moving to it from Eudora was sorta like getting a 100 yard head-start on a 220 yard dash. Coming to it from the starting blocks would be a different matter. ;-)

From blind dates to track meets. This is getting weird.

www.pptools.com
and stuff