DTP

Lively discussions on the graphic arts and publishing — in print or on the web

Go Back   Desktop Publishing Forum > General Discussions > Hardware & Gadgets

Old 09-10-2014, 10:21 PM   #1
Andrew B.
Staff

Default Second laptop

I'm thinking of buying a second laptop. My current one is starting to feel like Windows picked up a bad driver or a virus or who knows what. My extravagant idea is that I will use the new computer, and reinstall Windows on my old one at my leisure.

Old 09-11-2014, 07:14 AM   #2
LoisWakeman
Staff

How old is the machine? A lot of the slowdown is just due to all the security updates, so even though it may be quicker after a re-install, it will soon clog up again. (Been through this with mum and kids).

Can you do what you want on a chromebook? I have heard that the OS is updated completely rather than patched, though I don't actually know that.
LoisWakeman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2014, 08:40 AM   #3
Andrew B.
Staff

I purchased it in February of this year. And Chromebook is out for me. I looked at it last time I was computer shopping.

FWIW, last night I shut down and Windows started its updates. 8 1/2 hours later it was still installing update 6 of 11. I had to force a shut down, start again, let Windows warn me it needed to shut down and complete updates, and then it finished quickly.

Old 09-11-2014, 12:01 PM   #4
terrie
Staff

Quote:
andrew: 8 1/2 hours later it was still installing update 6 of 11.
UGH!!!

Why not just turn off Windows Updates then periodically, "manually" update (if you feel the need--I never do...'-}}) and then checkmark the updates that seem to be necessary. That way, you control the process although it does mean you have to do the checking yourself...

That said, I certainly would recommend the HP Pro 450G1 that my sister purchased for one of her clients--client paid for the laptop which we got at a very good price at the local MicroCenter. I mentioned it in the "Windows 7 & Bluetooth Oddities" thread.

Terrie
terrie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2014, 01:10 PM   #5
Andrew B.
Staff

I changed my mind. I don't think I'll buy one. It would probably be easier to just restore the system image to the one I have.

But I did have some excitement last night. I tried to roll back Windows to an earlier check point. After I did that, Windows would only boot to a black screen and movable mouse pointer. Tried safe mode, etc. Also, I my backup was a few days old, so I had to retrieve my important files using DOS commands. I'm very rusty with those and they didn't seem to work correctly. I thought a command like "Copy *.* F:\docs\*.*" would copy all files and subdirectories in the current folder to the "docs" folder on the F: drive. But it did not. It only copied files (no folders). I must have forgotten something.

So after fooling around with utilities on the repair disc, they all bombed. But Windows came back anyway. I guess I should take this opportunity to restore the image and set it up again. But I just don't feel like it, procrastinator that I've become. If my health were not so bad all of this would be fun. But now it's just a pain.

Oh, one more thing. I ran memtest from a bootable USB drive. My computer's memory is in perfect shape, even though my organic memory is not.

Old 09-12-2014, 11:50 PM   #6
terrie
Staff

Quote:
andrew: Windows would only boot to a black screen and movable mouse pointer.
It is such a bitch and a half to have that happen and you are very lucky that you were somehow able to get that fixed...congrats!!! '-}}

>>It only copied files (no folders). I must have forgotten something.

You were (again) lucky that you got all the files because DOS usually needs you to specify each folder/subfolder--I wonder if the Win7 DOS has been modified so that it at least copied all the individual files basically ignoring the folder structure. I still have my old DOS book--I almost pitched it one time and then decided I should keep it.

>>If my health were not so bad all of this would be fun. But now it's just a pain.

I don't think it has anything to do with your health because it really isn't fun any more-it is a pain in the ass...'-}}

That said, when I did the system restore on the old Compaq desktop system passed on to me via my sister from one of her clients--the HP Pro 450G1 laptop replaced this old desktop system--it was pretty straightforward and simple. Because you do have access to your current system, you could copy your data off of it along with things like your customized settings so that getting the new system tweaked wouldn't take too long.

I'm glad that your system is now working as it should...

Terrie
terrie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2014, 08:58 AM   #7
Andrew B.
Staff

When I got the computer back, the first thing I did was compare the contents of my backup plus the contents of my dos copy to see if I was missing anything important. I was not. But I still would have been nagged by the thought that I might have.

I'm looking at this now as a practice run. Because now I realize I have to work out a command to copy a folder. So far I have

xcopy "C:\my folder" D:\store /s /e /h /i

The "s" is for all files and folders, "e" is for empty folders, "h" is for hidden files, and "i" indicates that the destination is a folder (and not a file). The quotes on the source are to compensate for the space in the folder name.

Or, if I'm sitting inside the folder it could be

xcopy *.* D:\store /s /e /h /i

Suggestions or corrections are welcome.

Old 09-14-2014, 10:47 AM   #8
Steve Rindsberg
Staff

>>Or, if I'm sitting inside the folder it could be
>> xcopy *.* D:\store /s /e /h /i

So long as "inside the folder" means "inside c:\my folder" then yep.

Personally, I'd turn it all into a BAT file, include explicit drive/folder references and put the BAT file somewhere on your path so all you need to do is type the name of the BAT file from anywhere. Or have a Windows Scheduler task launch it at regular intervals.

I have the scheduler run a bat file like this every night to back up my main files to a network drive on another PC. The options I use for XCOPY are:

/D Copy only newer files
Makes it run way faster since it only copies changed files

/E Copy dirs and subs, including empties

/C Continue copying after errors
Otherwise it just quits and may not copy everything you THINK it's copying

/F Display source/dest while copying
I redirect the output to a log file so if anything's amiss I check the log and see what it did

/Y Overwrite files w/o prompting
Otherwise it's liable to stop and ask permission to overwrite each file from the last backup. I'd use this unless you have a cat to prop up on the Y key.

www.pptools.com
and stuff
Steve Rindsberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2014, 01:06 PM   #9
Andrew B.
Staff

The "/C" one looks like a good addition.

I was thinking about this in terms of making a backup from the repair environment. But in terms of just using it to backup, one can xcopy according to the archive attribute.

Here's the whole list in the XP area: http://www.microsoft.com/resources/d....mspx?mfr=true

Old 09-15-2014, 07:37 AM   #10
Steve Rindsberg
Staff

>> I was thinking about this in terms of making a backup from the repair environment. But in terms of just using it to backup, one can xcopy according to the archive attribute.

Yep ... quite handy, and a great deal faster. And you can either use /D raw or you can hand it a date, meaning "Copy only the files that have changed since [date]"

Thanks for the URL ... it gives a bit more info than the command line. ;-)

Goofy MSHTML, though ... when I try to Print | Save as PDF from Chrome (very handy feature, that), it gives me the current and one more page only. Strange. But it turns out that if you select all the stuff you want to save, then choose Selected in the Print dialog, you get the full monty.

www.pptools.com
and stuff
Steve Rindsberg is offline   Reply With Quote