DTP

Lively discussions on the graphic arts and publishing — in print or on the web

Go Back   Desktop Publishing Forum > General Discussions > Hardware & Gadgets

Old 08-31-2014, 07:00 PM   #1
annc
Sysop

Location: Subtropical Queensland, Australia, between the mountains and the Coral Sea
Default Win 7 64 bit or 32 bit? How can you tell?

I'm donating my Epson Perfection 3200 photo scanner to my sister, and I have no idea whether her current Toshiba laptop is running Windows 7 32-or 64-bit. She lives 60km from me so I can't duck over to look, even if I knew what to look for.

So can someone please tell me how a technophobe can look at her Windows 7 OS and find out which version she has?

Old 08-31-2014, 07:11 PM   #2
terrie
Staff

Tell her to check Control Panel > System and it will display which it is--see: the "System Type" line. She should be able to access the Control Panel by clicking on the "Start" button and it should be one of the options displayed...

Terrie
terrie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2014, 07:28 PM   #3
annc
Sysop

Location: Subtropical Queensland, Australia, between the mountains and the Coral Sea

Quote:
Originally Posted by terrie View Post
Tell her to check Control Panel > System and it will display which it is--see: the "System Type" line. She should be able to access the Control Panel by clicking on the "Start" button and it should be one of the options displayed...
Thanks, Terrie. I'll email her and ask her to have a look. She can find the Control Panel, so should be able to do this. She's got a PhD, but until she retired, she'd only ever used computers in a large state government department where she had IT people whose job it was to come and fix things for her whenever she had a problem of any sort. So it's no wonder she's uncertain when having to do anything with computers.

Old 08-31-2014, 07:50 PM   #4
terrie
Staff

I hope she has fun learning...'-}}

I have an Epson 2450 scanner and I remember there were problems when I went looking for the Win7/64bit driver so I just took a quick look at the Epson AU site for both your 3200 and my 2450 and it's really interesting that there is something to download for both your 3200 and my 2450 for Win7/64bit but!! the Epson US site has no drivers for Win7/64bit and there is the following note:

"Description: Although Epson does not offer a 64-bit driver for your product, there is a 3rd party solution available from a company called Hamrick. For additional information on Hamrick and their VueScan software, please visit hamrick.com. If you would prefer to purchase a new, 64-bit compatible scanner from Epson, please visit our Scanners page. Note: Hamrick's VueScan software does require purchase and is not supported by Epson. Compatible Systems: Windows 7 64-bit, Windows Vista 64-bit, Windows XP 64-bit."

I downloaded the Epson AU driver for my 2450 but it will be a day or two before I can try installing it. I'll let you know what happens. If you find that the Epson AU 3200 driver is problematic, let me know and I'll give you more detailed info on how I got stuff set up for my 2450.

Terrie
Old 09-01-2014, 12:20 AM   #5
annc
Sysop

Quote:
Originally Posted by terrie View Post
I hope she has fun learning...'-}}

I have an Epson 2450 scanner and I remember there were problems when I went looking for the Win7/64bit driver so I just took a quick look at the Epson AU site for both your 3200 and my 2450 and it's really interesting that there is something to download for both your 3200 and my 2450 for Win7/64bit but!! the Epson US site has no drivers for Win7/64bit and there is the following note:

"Description: Although Epson does not offer a 64-bit driver for your product, there is a 3rd party solution available from a company called Hamrick. For additional information on Hamrick and their VueScan software, please visit hamrick.com. If you would prefer to purchase a new, 64-bit compatible scanner from Epson, please visit our Scanners page. Note: Hamrick's VueScan software does require purchase and is not supported by Epson. Compatible Systems: Windows 7 64-bit, Windows Vista 64-bit, Windows XP 64-bit."

I downloaded the Epson AU driver for my 2450 but it will be a day or two before I can try installing it. I'll let you know what happens. If you find that the Epson AU 3200 driver is problematic, let me know and I'll give you more detailed info on how I got stuff set up for my 2450.
Thanks, Terrie. I did a search and found this site that gives instructions for using the 3200 with Windows 7 64-bit. Finding this is actually why I started the thread.

Old 09-01-2014, 12:21 AM   #6
annc
Sysop

Quote:
Originally Posted by annc View Post
Thanks, Terrie. I did a search and found this site that gives instructions for using the 3200 with Windows 7 64-bit. Finding this is actually why I started the thread.
If it doesn't work, I'll be harassing your for your solution.

Old 09-01-2014, 12:09 PM   #7
terrie
Staff

Quote:
ann: If it doesn't work, I'll be harassing your for your solution.
I took a quick look and it's way more involved than I think it needs to be...let me go play with the driver I d/l'd from the Epson AU site on my test system to see what it gives me and I'll report back...

Terrie
Old 09-01-2014, 02:35 PM   #8
terrie
Staff

Later Edit: On thing I forgot to mention was that the Epson-AU download is useless so don't bother with it...'-}}

Even Later Edit: See the "Windows 7: Epson Perfection 1640SU - Driver Problem" thread as there is a wealth of info there with ref's to both my 2450 and your 3200 with specific info on the PID codes for different Epson scanners (page 7 of the thread) that I think you will find helpful. Using the PID code listed for my 2450, I may tweak the INF file that I used (the one for the 2400) for my install and do an Update Driver from the Device Manager.

Ok...after much too-ing and fro-ing at Epson-US, Epson-AU and Epson-UK to confirm my memory about what Win7/64bit drivers are available, I'd suggest that you download the Epson 3170 scanner driver from the Epson-UK site because in addition to the scanner driver, there is also the Epson Copy Utility listed which is moderately useful software which allows you to easily do a photocopy (as in print) scan--I hope the link will work, if not see below for directions because Epson-UK is a pita to navigate...'-}}.

The article you found suggests using the 4990 driver and when I was searching for a solution for my 2450, I found a similar article recommending the use of the 4990 but I also found an article that recommended using the 3170 driver--I've not been able to find that article in my searching today. What I found was that the 3170 driver has more scanner models listed--1270, 2400, 3170, 4870, 4180 and 3490/3590--none of which, obviously, are right on the mark. As I remember the 3170 article, it recommended that I select the 2400 which is what I did and I have no problems scanning via Photoshop's Twain (Import > Epson Perfection 2400...) or using the Epson software directly (via a shortcut on my desktop which has as a Target: C:\Windows\twain_32\escndv\escndv.exe ).

I did not modify any INF file as they did in the article you ref'd and it's not clear from the article if the code they added to the INF file was specific to the 3200 although I suspect that it is. I would suggest that you use the 3170 option as it's numerically closer to your 3200 but if that doesn't work, you could download the 4990 driver from Epson-UK, make the mods to the INF as they suggest (you could also try adding the same mod to the 3170 INF (es32.inf).

In any case, whichever driver you decided to install, once you do the install, you will need (as they noted in the article) to turn on the scanner and then do a tweak--when you turn on the scanner you should get a "driver not found" message. The article recommends doing this via Control Panel > Devices and Printers but I think it's easier using Control Panel > Device Manager > Imaging Devices > click to open the drop down to see the device listed and click on it to highlight > then RIGHT-Click > Update Driver Software > choose "Browse my computer for driver software" , choose “Let Me Pick”, select “Imaging Devices”, click on the "Next" button, choose Epson > Epson3170 (3200?? if you did the INF mod) > "Next" button > "Yes" (warning message).

NOTE: might see "Have Disk" rather than a list of devices and if so, click on "Have Disk" and navigate to where you saved the downloaded driver files, click OK, choose the scanner (3170 or 3200 if you made the mod to the INF file), click "Next" button, click "Yes" button if warning message displayed.

It reads more complicated than it is to do...'-}}

If for some reason, my links to Epson-UK don't work, then go to epson.com > Europe > United Kingdom, then click on "Support" (top-ish of the page) and then look for "If you cannot find your model using the search click here" and click on the "click here" which will open a new screen. The you select "Scanners" in the first dropdown window, then the scanner you want (Epson Perfection 3170 and/or Epson Perfection 4990) in the second dropdown window, Win7/64bit in the third dropdown window and the click on the "Confirm Selection" button which will take you to a page with manuals, drivers, etc. links. Click on the "Drivers & Software" link which will open and display the available driver (and copy utility) for download.

Hope the above helps...let me know if you have any questions...

Terrie

Last edited by terrie; 09-01-2014 at 08:33 PM.
Old 09-01-2014, 03:00 PM   #9
Hugh Wyn Griffith

I hope that is a better performer than my Copy Utility 3.5.0 that came with my V33 scanner and the parallel scan to file utility which are horrendously slow compared with my old HP Scanner and software.

There's a very good third party scanning utility that people recommend and that works for a very large number of scanners of different makes -- Vuescan from Hamrick:

http://www.hamrick.com/

But it's not free .....

Hugh
Hugh Wyn Griffith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2014, 03:33 PM   #10
terrie
Staff

Quote:
hugh: I hope that is a better performer than my Copy Utility 3.5.0
Actually, it's funny because I'm currently using the original CU that came on my Epson 2450 CD because I couldn't find a newer version until today. I don't have anything to compare the Epson CU in terms of speed and I probably won't get around to installing this newer version--it is the 3.5.0--for a few days. Once I do, I'll let you know how it compares to my older version...

Vuescan is EXCELLENT but, unless Ann's sister is going to do a lot of scanning, I don't know if it would be worth the price--vs. the time it will take to install the Epson driver and do the necessary tweak to get the install completed...

Terrie