DTP

Lively discussions on the graphic arts and publishing — in print or on the web

Go Back   Desktop Publishing Forum > General Discussions > Software

Old 07-27-2014, 10:26 AM   #1
dthomsen8

Default Quicken 2012 to 2014

Although the QUICKEN 2014 information claims that QUICKEN 2012 data can be input for 2014, a quick look at Quicken help shows that is not true.

I saw a conversion data program online months ago when I bought Q2014, I cannot find it now. Any help?
dthomsen8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2014, 12:55 PM   #2
terrie
Staff

Let me know if you find it.

I'm using an ancient version of Quicken 4 for Windows and when I had my new custom Win7 system built, I bought a copy of Quicken 2012 (maybe 2011) via ebay but when I discovered that there was no way to move my Quicken4 data to the new version, I decided to use the Win7/WinXP Mode for Quicken4--I only use Quicken to do my monthly bills so it's not that big a deal for me to use the ancient version.

Terrie
terrie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2014, 07:17 PM   #3
BobRoosth

I also use an old version of Quicken -- 2000. I am surprised 2014 cannot read 2012 data. I know the Mac version requires a conversion process to import the Windows data.

Have you asked Quicken support directly?

I also have to ask: If you have 2012 why are you moving to 2014?
BobRoosth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2014, 03:01 PM   #4
terrie
Staff

Quote:
bobroosth: I am surprised 2014 cannot read 2012 data
I'm not surprised at all given what I've seen with my sister's experience with QuickBooks in that each new version is never backward compatible and if you miss a version, you are pretty much screwed. There is no reason for this other than Quicken/QuickBooks' greed...

Terrie
Old 08-01-2014, 07:42 AM   #5
BobRoosth

Odd. I have seen QB upgrade data between very distant versions. One might have to create a backup file to make it work. Between Windows and Mac versions is an entirely differently story. And there is no reason to upgrade unless one is doing payroll or wants QB to communicate with one's bank. The exception is versions prior to 2005 do not run properly on Vista or Win 7.
BobRoosth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2014, 12:32 PM   #6
terrie
Staff

Quote:
bobroosth: Odd. I have seen QB upgrade data between very distant versions.
I mistyped...'-}}

What I meant to say about QuickBooks is that while you can indeed move older QuickBook version data to a newer QuickBook version, you can't go backwards; that is, once the older version data has been converted to the newer version, QuickBooks does not allow (hasn't coded) you to open that converted-to-new-version data file in an older version of QuickBooks.

On one level, it's somewhat understandable but, given QuickBooks' corporate procedures--blocking legitimate transfer of a QB license to another user while stating that license transfer is allowed--my take is that it's greed on the part of QuickBooks corporate since there is no programmable/technical reason to not be backwards compatible. And, since QuickBooks is essentially the defacto software for bookkeeping/payroll, one is required to defer to their approach.

My sister uses QuickBooks for all of her clients and has various versions installed based on each client's needs.

Terrie
Old 08-02-2014, 05:07 PM   #7
Franca
Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by terrie View Post
What I meant to say about QuickBooks is that while you can indeed move older QuickBook version data to a newer QuickBook version, you can't go backwards; that is, once the older version data has been converted to the newer version, QuickBooks does not allow (hasn't coded) you to open that converted-to-new-version data file in an older version of QuickBooks.
I guess I'm not understanding something here. If a data file has gone through a conversion process to a newer version, why would you be able to open it in the older version of the software without somehow converting it backwards first? If that were possible, why did it need to be converted in the first place? Call me confused.

Take Corel Draw, for example. Once a file is converted from Draw 7 format to X5, for example, you can no longer open that file in Draw 7. X5 can save backwards to older versions if necessary, but converting the same file backwards and forwards multiple times (possibly losing bits from the newer version each time) seems impractical and imprudent. It seems even less prudent with an accounting data file. Of course one would always have backups but still, a corrupted accounting file is not something I would want to deal with.

Franca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2014, 07:19 PM   #8
terrie
Staff

Quote:
franca: why would you be able to open it in the older version of the software without somehow converting it backwards first? If that were possible, why did it need to be converted in the first place? Call me confused.
The reality is that there is no real difference between QuickBook versions with respect to the data format other than an artificial wall QuickBooks deliberately builds into each version.

Think about it this way. I have a Photoshop 7 PSD file but a friend of mine who only had Photoshop 5 for example could open that PSD. You can't do something like that with QuickBooks--I will grant that QuickBooks is perfectly within its rights to code their software this way but I still think it's a greedy and tacky approach...'-}}

>>X5 can save backwards to older versions if necessary

Can't do ever do that with QuickBooks and there is absolutely no technical/programing reason to not allow that sort of option other than...well...I've said it before...'-}}

Terrie
Old 08-03-2014, 07:45 AM   #9
Steve Rindsberg
Staff

Beef+Carrots+Taters --> Stew.
Easy.

Stew --> Beef+Carrots+Taters
Nope.

www.pptools.com
and stuff
Steve Rindsberg is offline   Reply With Quote