DTP

Lively discussions on the graphic arts and publishing — in print or on the web

Go Back   Desktop Publishing Forum > General Discussions > Print Design

Old 07-16-2014, 03:52 AM   #1
rplk

Default gap between pages help pls

Hi

My company has some user guides and brochures for it's products and we need to get more printed.

I have supplied the PDF's to the printing company but they want more space between pages to cut the print.

The original layouts were done in Quark Xpress 8. Just changing the margins doesnt help becuase it disturbs the content.

Please forgive my ignorance but what is the space called between pages when you print on large copy and then cut it up? And can anyone tell me what I need to adjust?

I just dont know even what to look up for help on this?
rplk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2014, 08:30 AM   #2
LoisWakeman
Staff

I don't know Quark, but you usually do this by creating an oversize page so there is room to trim the paper afterwards (typically if you have a bleed in your layout). Then you may need to generate the camera-ready copy with 'crop marks' to show where to trim - though you'd need to ask your printer about this.

E.g. if you were printing on nominal letter paper, you might set the page size to be (say) 1/2" wider and taller to accommodate this. The specific size should be given to you by the printer.
LoisWakeman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2014, 09:39 PM   #3
Howard Allen

If I understand your problem correctly, you've got a PDF set up for, as an example, 8.5" x 11" document size, with 1/2" margins all around. The printer images 4 of those pages to paper that's 17" x 22". And (still using my example) you're saying the printer wants 1" margins all around, rather than 1/2".

If I've got the right idea, then of course the only way to accomplish this is to reduce the size of the printed area of each copy. I can think of one way you might do that (short of redoing your entire layout with smaller type size and everything else).

I don't know about Quark, but InDesign has a dialog in the Document Setup area (File menu) for adding a "slug" area, which is a white-space buffer around the outside of the page area to accommodate crop marks, registration marks, colour bars, etc. You can specify a slug area of any size (say 1" or 2") and add or omit the printer's marks, as you see fit (crop marks would probably be useful). This slug area expands the effective layout size; say, if you started with an 8.5" x 11" layout and added a 1" slug area all around, you'd have a 10.5" x 13" layout. This might work if the printer uses a "4-up" command that scales the PDFs to fit 4 copies on a big sheet of paper. It would effectively scrunch everything down to fit on the paper and give you more white space between the printed areas. You might try fiddling with the slug settings in Quark, if you can find them.

Good luck!

OSX 10.10.5
Howard Allen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2014, 05:52 AM   #4
Bo Aakerstrom

Am I correct in my understanding that you have had the PDFs printed previously? Was that at the same printing company? If nothing has changed I don't get why there is a problem this time around...

In case the PDFs are new, have you included printers marks when you made the files? If not this might be the issue.

Old 07-24-2014, 11:40 AM   #5
Gerry Kowarsky

If I understand correctly, your printer wants a PDF with crop marks. If you still have the original QuarkExpress files, this Google search may help:

print with crop marks quarkxpress 8

This is the first link that came up for me.

If all you have are the PDF files, try this Google search:

add crop marks to pdf

Good luck

Last edited by Gerry Kowarsky; 07-25-2014 at 04:32 PM.
Gerry Kowarsky is offline   Reply With Quote