DTP

Lively discussions on the graphic arts and publishing — in print or on the web

Go Back   Desktop Publishing Forum > General Discussions > Software

Old 08-24-2013, 11:01 PM   #1
Andrew B.
Staff

Default Is askSam out of business?

The askSam website is still there but it's not responsive. There is a note that it's undergoing maintenance, but it's been that way for weeks. On my copy of the software the feature that checks or updates says it's unable to connect to the server. And their forum link doesn't work.

I've looked around the Internet for askSam discussion groups, and there are none. I guess I could email them and ask if they are still there, but I thought I'd try posting this first.

I wonder if Evernote put them out of business.

Old 08-25-2013, 02:47 PM   #2
terrie
Staff

I'd never heard of it until you mentioned it...the only forum I found is at Yahoo Groups but it's not active and the related forum link gets a 404. Checked Wikipedia and there is no entry--did it ever exist if there is no Wikipedia article...'-}}

Terrie
terrie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2013, 08:36 AM   #3
gscimeca

Yeah, it seems like they went kapoot, website dead, no email response and phones only tak e messages. It's a real shame since I've used them for over 20 years, going back to original asksam for dos. Maybe they are waiting on new investors, ownership or management, it is small company... let's hope!
gscimeca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2013, 10:43 AM   #4
Andrew B.
Staff

Thanks for jumping in here. I started with the DOS version too. I'm wondering if competition from OneNote put them out of business.

Old 09-09-2013, 08:52 AM   #5
askSam

Hi all. askSam is not out of business. Unfortunately we had a very major server crash that proved to be much more intense than we originally expected. We are in the process of moving our servers and rebuilding our sites. We have v8 of askSam complete and will be releasing as soon as we can get our website back on its feet. Sorry for the inconvenience. We'll stay in touch here to let you know when things are back on track. Thanks!
askSam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2013, 02:49 PM   #6
terrie
Staff

Thanks so very much for joining and posting an update!

Terrie
Old 09-12-2013, 10:19 AM   #7
Andrew B.
Staff

Thanks for letting us know. I notice you are now using WordPress your web site. Maybe when you get settled in you could switch to a web template that was designed specifically for software sites. For example: http://www.templatemonster.com/categ...ite-templates/.

Old 01-23-2014, 12:52 PM   #8
RZK

I have askSam 7 on a laptop. I want to also have it on my desktop computer. First, is it legal to do that within the contract; i.e., do I have a "multiple platform license" or whatever it would be called? Second, if it is OK to do this, what files do I need to copy and paste from the laptop to the desktop computer? I'm trying to find the askSam software in my laptop and can't find it.
RZK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2014, 03:37 PM   #9
terrie
Staff

Quote:
rzk: I have askSam 7 on a laptop. I want to also have it on my desktop computer. First, is it legal to do that within the contract;
First...welcome to the forum...'-}}

I've not used the software but most software allows you to install on laptop and desktop--hopefully Andrew will pop by and have a better idea about that. I checked their website which doesn't have much current info but there is a contact page and you might try dropping them an email...

Terrie
Old 01-24-2014, 10:15 AM   #10
RZK

I'm unsure which files on my laptop need to be copied over to the desktop. In fact, I'm having trouble even finding any files that look they are "the software." I can find my data files just fine. Where's software?

Their tech serv. dept. has not responded to my email and two voicemails asking for help.
RZK is offline   Reply With Quote