DTP

Lively discussions on the graphic arts and publishing — in print or on the web

Go Back   Desktop Publishing Forum > General Discussions > Software

Old 08-06-2013, 10:03 AM   #1
Andrew B.
Staff

Default Microsoft Admits Problems with Windows 8

Looks like Microsoft is admitting they goofed: http://www.ft.com/cms/s/2/330c8b8e-b...#axzz2SeLs9ZDB.

My only problem was the lack of a start menu. If people think the tile interface is good enough for tablets, then one can indeed have an OS that works on tablets and PCs. It just will be one OS with two different interface options.

Last edited by Andrew B.; 08-06-2013 at 03:10 PM.
Andrew B. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2013, 02:00 PM   #2
terrie
Staff

I love this "Ms Reller said PC users had faced difficulties adapting to the new software."

It's the users' fault, not poor design...'-}}

Terrie
terrie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2013, 03:24 PM   #3
Andrew B.
Staff

I found interesting the point about how much faster Coke responded to the problems New Coke was facing.

Old 08-06-2013, 05:10 PM   #4
Bo Aakerstrom

Having used Windows 8 on a laptop, I must admit that the only thing I initially had problems with was turning the thing off! Oh, of course - it is in settings, just change the power to "off" and there you go!

Otherwise it wasn't a bad experience at all. Although, calling programs "apps" would take some getting used to.

Old 08-06-2013, 06:40 PM   #5
Hugh Wyn Griffith

The "new version later this year" (FT article dated May 2013) is the 8.1 scheduled to RTM this month; from what I've read more recently from Microsoft it's not a further "new version"

All the business about "Start to Stop" is codswallop -- what do you do on your computer case to stop the computer? Press the Start button -- it's called a toggle switch. Not exactly invented by Microsoft!

I have it installed on my Desktop in multiple boot and not having a smartphone or tablet some things take getting used to but the mouse works fine and so does the keyboard. The Start Screen echoes what I see in big business on the dedicated software they use where you don't hunt through cascading menus but click on "tiles" with labels just like in Windows 8 Start Screen.

WINKEY toggles between Start Screen and Desktop; Desktop works just like Windows 7; START / All Programs is not there but there is a quick way to get All Programs displayed on the screen but each is a mini-tile that is click sensitive and they are pregrouped by functions like System Tools.

And the pinning of your frequently used applications to the bottom bar works fine.

Having said all that Microsoft did a bad job in presenting it and could have made it much easier for the largest current user-base -- laptop and desktop -- to make the transition.

Hugh
Hugh Wyn Griffith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2013, 09:33 PM   #6
Andrew B.
Staff

I got my Win 7 computer with no previous knowledge about interface changes Win 7 introduced. I had trouble finding a couple things, but the OS didn't irritate me. I had a Win 8 computer for a short time, had spent time before owning it watching movies about how to use it, and I still found it irritating to use.

Old 08-06-2013, 10:09 PM   #7
BobRoosth

I have set up a number of Win 8 computers for clients. Not one wants the "Modern" interface. I worked on one today. I can't stand scanning a field of squares looking for my program icon instead of an alphabetized list. Even if the list is out of order (as was often true in XP), it is faster to scan a list of words in a small space than squares in a large space. I understand that kind of interface on a tablet or phone, but can't understand what the folk at Microsoft were thinking when it comes to a desktop system with a keyboard and mouse.....
BobRoosth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2013, 01:06 AM   #8
Andrew B.
Staff

I just read some other things. It looks like MS will not bring back the start menu. They are adding a start button that leads to a tiles menu.

Old 08-07-2013, 07:03 AM   #9
Steve Rindsberg
Staff

There are some things about it (at least on the desktop) that are incredibly obtuse and far from intuitive, and along the way to getting used to it, I found it useful to have another PC handy, one w/o the UI of Pane, so I could google things like "How the @#*$^ do you get an app to quit?"

OTOH, finding programs amid the tiles and rubble can be incredibly quick and simple. Just start typing. It's not perfect (for example, I can't get it to cough up the thingie that turns off the power) but by and large it makes the PC quite easy to navigate.

I could live with it, though I wouldn't choose it from among other options. ;-)

www.pptools.com
and stuff
Steve Rindsberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2013, 04:25 PM   #10
Hugh Wyn Griffith

I think it's fair to say that those who dislike it most, are most irritated by it, are the technically competent like most of us "experts" and certainly, in CompuServe Windows Forums, the sysops ....

Yet even some of those are coming back saying I have grown to like it.

We have a Forum Manager who claims to have 150 applications installed on his machines -- he runs most of his work on XP but he does use Windows 7 and he supports a number of business clients -- and he can't stand the change in the menu structure from XP to Windows 7 and despises Windows 8 for not having any word list menu. Yet he detests the wonderful Search function on the Windows 7 Start button saying he has to take his fingers off the mouse and put them on the keyboard!

By extreme contrast my wife loved what she saw the first time although I've not complicated her life by asking her to use it since it would probably confuse her back on the Windows 7 we still use daily -- at our age memory is not what it used to be and multitasking can get confusing!

Similarly in the businesses I visit I see Windows 8 StartScreen type jumping off points even on XP and Windows 7 (the most modern I've seen is Windows 7 Embedded on a very neat tiny box serving a very large LCD screen) because after they get rid of the screen saver and log in they are in dedicated software with functions limited to what the business does -- especially the medical places we visit fairly frequently.

They don't click on Start and hunt for the right name to do the job they need to do. They have a jumping off point with a column of "tiles" labeled with things like Register patient / New Record / Update Record / and so on or the doctor can pull up a list of the patient's medication; find the report on an investigation by a colleague or in a different hospital; put up a graph showing the test values of X years .......

They don't have to know to open Microsoft Word to write a report or the name of the spreadsheet application or the database application.

Windows 7 Search means you don't have to know to go to Control Panel and open Control Panel / Administrative Tools / Computer Management / Disk Management in order to say Format a disk ..... they can just type format disk into the search box and there it is at the top of the list to click on .....

Remember how you had to click on Control Panel / Install Programs in order to Uninstall one ..... ? Now at least it's Programs and Features you click on and in Windows 8 just type Uninstall Program on the Start Screen itself or Winkey + I to search Settings ......

BTW Winkey + I takes you to the "charms" that includes a click on for Power and then a list of Shut Down / Restart and so on ....

Sure you have to learn but it's a lot easier than learning to use a Smartphone as I have had to find out.

And once I'm on the desktop I really find little difference.

BTW ALT + F4 shuts apps just like on XP but my understanding of the touch screen modality is that you don't shut apps down you just move on.

Hugh
Hugh Wyn Griffith is offline   Reply With Quote