DTP

Lively discussions on the graphic arts and publishing — in print or on the web

Go Back   Desktop Publishing Forum > General Discussions > Software

Old 05-10-2013, 07:41 PM   #1
Andrew B.
Staff

Default Which Anti Virus software do you use?

Which Anti Virus software and/or anti-malware software to you use?

Old 05-11-2013, 11:53 AM   #2
terrie
Staff

I have used Avira (free) in the past and on the whole was pleased with it installing it on friends' and family's systems. The one somewhat annoying feature of the free version is the daily pop-up ad--usually just once/day--which finally drove one of my sister's (the one in ME) to get the paid version. I don't recommend the free version any longer.

My new custom system came with Avast (free) and I was all set to uninstall it and install Avira and then decided to wait a bit on the uninstall and in the end, I decided to keep it because it didn't have a daily pop-up ad and it's quite customizable. I have since installed it on my sister's (next door) new laptop. I don't use Avast's web reputation add-on because I don't really care for that sort of software--you can turn off the install of it if you do a custom install of Avast or from within Avast you can uninstall it later.

I also turned off the email scanner because I couldn't send or receive email with it turned on and since the software is set to scan open/close/run files, it didn't seem like that much of a risk. I have since found out that the problem I had is a function of how Avast integrates with email software and the most current version has a modified approach which leads me to believe that I'd be able to send/receive email with the scanner turned on--I have not updated to the latest version yet.

A recent issue of Maximum PC rated Avast quite high--8.5 out of 10 if I'm remembering correctly.

As to antimalware. I use MBAM. I use the free version but I am considering paying for the Pro version which offers real-time monitoring. Given your recent experience I would strongly urge your going with the Pro version--$25/computer and the license is transferable (from old system to new) and if you browse around, there is usually a discount coupon offer.

Terrie
terrie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2013, 09:55 AM   #3
LoisWakeman
Staff

AVG, though it has got more and more bloated over the years and I may not renew next time.
LoisWakeman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2013, 03:06 PM   #4
terrie
Staff

Quote:
lois: AVG, though it has got more and more bloated over the years and I may not renew next time.
It's so! annoying when companies do this. I spent quite a bit of time looking for an older version of ZoneAlarm (free) that would work in Win7 and that didn't have any bloatware in it. Thank goodness for the (reputable, good) old version sites...'-}}

Take a look at Avast...I have been quite pleased with the free version...

Terrie
Old 05-16-2013, 12:04 AM   #5
LoisWakeman
Staff

I have heard good reports elsewhere - so will investigate when the licence comes up - thanks!
LoisWakeman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2013, 02:06 PM   #6
terrie
Staff

Quote:
lois: I have heard good reports elsewhere - so will investigate when the licence comes up - thanks!
You're welcome...let me know what you think of it if you get it...

Terrie
Old 05-12-2013, 01:25 PM   #7
Hugh Wyn Griffith

I use Norton Internet Security -- partly because I always have and partly because I do support for Norton ....

It rates high in comparative tests when it participates but it does not take part in all of them because Norton disagrees with the basis of the test saying that it does not reflect the conditions under which users operate ..... some have insisted on isolating the PCs from the Internet and most systems keep uptodate with new malware via the internet.

Hugh
Hugh Wyn Griffith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2013, 12:35 PM   #8
BobRoosth

I have been using GFI Software's Vipre for a number of years. Lightweight, good tech support (US-based). I use only the AV, not the Internet Security version. One thing I like a lot is their multi-computer license. Good for all my clients who have 2-5 computers.

I also keep the paid version of MBAM on my machine, at least partly because I use the free version on lots of client computers when there is a problem.
BobRoosth is offline   Reply With Quote