DTP

Lively discussions on the graphic arts and publishing — in print or on the web

Go Back   Desktop Publishing Forum > General Discussions > Web Design

Old 04-05-2013, 03:41 PM   #1
Anne Wright

Default Small business website

A young friend has asked me to set up a website for him. He's been running my horse farm for me since he was 15. Now he's nearly 20, just graduated from farrier's school and will probably officially lease the farm from me.

He believes that every business should have a website and wants me to set up one for his farrier business. I'm not that sure it will help that kind of business but I'd like to do it for him.

Before I get into the rest of my questions about the site - what are some good reference books for HTML and CSS? When I set up my sites before, the most useful book for me was HTML 4 for Dummies mostly because it was simple and very easy to use as a reference book. I need something equivalent to update my years old knowledge of web design.

For this young man, I think using WordPress would be a good way to handle the site. I can create the CSS, graphics and basic layout, then let him put in content and upload photos. He's very savvy on his smart phone so I'm hoping to be able to set it up for him to email new content and photos.

For web hosting, I can add his domain name to my web space for $20 a year (I use only a very small amount of the space I have so there will be no bandwidth problem). That way I can keep up with updating WP and any plugins without any problem. I will have him register his domain in his own name so if he wants to pull it from my control or if I become unable to handle it for him, he can take the domain to another host.

In addition to having the ability to put in new content, I think a very useful tool would be a calendar. If he could add his farrier appointments to the calendar and check his schedule from his smartphone, that would really help him keep organized. I see several calendar plug-ins for WordPress and need to check out which might work for him.

Does this sound feasible for a website for a one person business? He will not be selling anything through the website, just using it for promoting himself and his work.

I can set up WordPress as part of my own site. I have a very little used BlogSpot site and can import that so I will have content to play around with. I can use my installation to test plug-ins and to see how it will look. The only problem is, I don't have a smart phone - and even if I did, I get no cell signal here at home. I might have to upgrade my phone and carry my laptop to another location to test and fix problems!

I've read through the messages here about WordPress and have learned a lot - most of which convinced me WP is probably a good way to go.

Any suggestions, cautions, ideas?
Anne Wright is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2013, 04:31 PM   #2
annc
Sysop

Location: Subtropical Queensland, Australia, between the mountains and the Coral Sea

I suggest you look at the latest version of Elizabeth Castro's HTML and CSS: Visual QuickStart Guide. Her books are really easy to follow, so if you liked the Dummies version, I think you'll find this one an acceptable replacement.

Check the catalogue for your local library first, to see if you can borrow a copy to get you started and maybe save the cost if you don't like it...

And I agree with the use of WordPress. It's attractive out of the box and there are lots of good plug-ins as well as themes to get you up and running quickly.

Also, blog entries are indexed quickly, so changes and entries are findable in the search engines. If your young guy is articulate and finds he likes writing, he could drum up business by writing his own blog articles, which will then make him findable on the web by people looking for good farriers in their area. I find on my forum that farrier recommendations are one of the most common questions. They also want to know which farriers will travel to their area, so these are things you/he can include on the site.

Old 04-05-2013, 04:58 PM   #3
Anne Wright

Quote:
Originally Posted by annc View Post
I suggest you look at the latest version of Elizabeth Castro's HTML and CSS: Visual QuickStart Guide. Her books are really easy to follow, so if you liked the Dummies version, I think you'll find this one an acceptable replacement.

Check the catalogue for your local library first, to see if you can borrow a copy to get you started and maybe save the cost if you don't like it...

And I agree with the use of WordPress. It's attractive out of the box and there are lots of good plug-ins as well as themes to get you up and running quickly.

Also, blog entries are indexed quickly, so changes and entries are findable in the search engines. If your young guy is articulate and finds he likes writing, he could drum up business by writing his own blog articles, which will then make him findable on the web by people looking for good farriers in their area. I find on my forum that farrier recommendations are one of the most common questions. They also want to know which farriers will travel to their area, so these are things you/he can include on the site.
Thanks, Ann,
I had looked at Amazon and the Castro book looked good, but pricey. Our local library does not have a good collection for technology. Yep, just checked their catalog - no copies available and the ones in their catalog on HTML are from 2000 and 2007. On the other hand, they have two copies of her 2005 book on Blogger.

I'll go to the bookstore tomorrow to see what they have - actually handling the book is important to me. That's why I want a book rather than look for answers on the internet - I want that hard copy in front of me.

Unfortunately the young man is not a writer. He's great with horses, but he may need help with getting his farrier and training knowledge into words. I'll try to help him with that as much as I can, but I want to have his site set up so he can take the lead.

I think his contacts will help drive business to his sites - he not only rides hunter, he also ropes and is training a gelding I bred to rope, so he has lots of contacts in various parts of the horse world around here.

I've got to run errands tomorrow but Sunday I'll try to install WordPress on my website and start playing with it. I'm sure I will be back with a lot more questions!

Anne
Anne Wright is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2013, 06:20 PM   #4
annc
Sysop

Location: Subtropical Queensland, Australia, between the mountains and the Coral Sea

Good luck with it, Anne. There's lots of support on the WordPress site as well.

Old 04-06-2013, 02:40 AM   #5
Kelvyn
Staff

If you are going to use WordPress, which is probably the easiest to use of the mid-range content management systems, try to use a responsive template from the outset so that it reformats its layout automatically for mobile devices. However, not all plugins work in a reponsive system, with either layout or JavaScripting issues (or both) so some checking on the WP forum may be necessary before installing a plugin, especially if it is one of the more expensive ones.

I no longer use WP for new sites (I am now 100% Joomla) so unfortunately cannot advise on template/plugin choices.

Web site design, hosting and marketing, Keswick in the UK Lake District

If you are planning a visit to Keswick then try Keswick Tourist Information website

Kelvyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2015, 02:38 PM   #6
Anne Wright

The default 215 template seems to pretty responsive - I was looking at it on my tablet while waiting for jury selection (I got to sit on the jury of a pretty nasty case yesterday) and it looked good, whether I held the tablet horizontally or vertically.

I keep forgetting to ask my husband to let me borrow his new smartphone to see how the blog looks on it. My tablet may not the best test - it's a 10" screen so doesn't have to downsize a huge amount.

I installed a photo plugin, Easy Media Gallery, and it said it it's responsive. It's got a lot of users so it apparently gets great support.

Anne

Old 08-12-2015, 03:15 PM   #7
terrie
Staff

Sounds like it's coming right along...

Terrie

PS: Just in case, I spun off the scanning discussion into its own thread in the Hardware & Gadgets section...
terrie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2015, 05:36 PM   #8
Anne Wright

Terrie,
I noticed but not until I had added more to this thread.

I'll try to keep the photo/scanning discussion over there.

Today we picked up some of the stuff I had left at the Florida Photo Archives and left some more. They've set up a category for the ones I'm letting them scan. I'll have to check their website and post the link.

Tonight I'm sorting through some of the stuff that I scanned to get some ready to post on the blog. That's a lot of pictures!

Anne

Old 08-12-2015, 06:23 PM   #9
terrie
Staff

Quote:
ann: I'll try to keep the photo/scanning discussion over there.
Ok...don't worry about it if you get mixed up. I just figured there were enough posts on scanning that it would make for an interesting thread in and of itself. I'd be interested in the archive link...

Can't wait to see what you put up on your blog...

Terrie
terrie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2013, 03:49 AM   #10
LoisWakeman
Staff

I think WP would be good for what you want - and you won't really need to learn HTML or CSS if you go with one of the templates - not that I want to put you off learning, of course

For a simple site like that, I am not sure it is worth going to the effort of custom templates and page designs - you can do quite a lot by changing header images etc. without delving into the code.

Also, you might consider using hosted Wordpress (wordpress.com) rather than DIY hosting - then you wont have to worry about keeping the s/w updated, taking backups etc. The add-ons that are essential (domain pointing, no ads) are not very expensive, and your time to keep it up-to-date might outweigh the cost to your client.
LoisWakeman is offline   Reply With Quote