DTP

Lively discussions on the graphic arts and publishing — in print or on the web

Go Back   Desktop Publishing Forum > General Discussions > Software

Old 03-17-2013, 09:17 PM   #1
annc
Sysop

Location: Subtropical Queensland, Australia, between the mountains and the Coral Sea
Default Given up on Time Machine, need Mac backup app

My Time Machine worked well for years, but is now showing the apparently common problems that I was unaware of all this time. Things had got to the stage where instead of being a silent, efficient backup system requiring not a second of my time, it was consuming much of my day. So I've turned it off.

Now I have 2 Time Capsules, 3T and 2T respectively, and I want to use one of them as a backup drive and am looking for recommendations for a Mac backup app that will see and use a Time Capsule. I realise I won't be able to boot from the TC, but money is a consideration, so I'd like to use what I've got.

Any suggestions?

Old 03-18-2013, 09:26 AM   #2
Howard Allen

I'm curious to know what problems it's causing you (because it's what I use, too, and so far it's given me no trouble at all). Could you just reformat one of the drives and start from scratch with Time Machine?

I use SuperDuper! to make weekly (more or less) bootable clone backups to two different external drives, but it's not automatic and incremental like TM and you have to remember to do it, so not a reliable solution by itself.

OSX 10.10.5
Howard Allen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2013, 04:09 PM   #3
Howard Allen

To be fair to SuperDuper!, I should revise my comments. SuperDuper! can be scheduled to run at various time intervals (but not more frequently than once a day), and I think it's pretty much on par with CCC. Both products have received excellent ratings in various reviews I've read.

OSX 10.10.5
Old 03-19-2013, 01:56 PM   #4
annc
Sysop

Location: Subtropical Queensland, Australia, between the mountains and the Coral Sea

Quote:
Originally Posted by Howard Allen View Post
SuperDuper! can be scheduled to run at various time intervals (but not more frequently than once a day), and I think it's pretty much on par with CCC. Both products have received excellent ratings in various reviews I've read.
Thanks, Howard.

Old 03-19-2013, 01:28 PM   #5
annc
Sysop

Quote:
Originally Posted by Howard Allen View Post
I'm curious to know what problems it's causing you (because it's what I use, too, and so far it's given me no trouble at all). Could you just reformat one of the drives and start from scratch with Time Machine?
Yes, tried the reformatting, disk utility, Airport Utility, failures on both, which is why I bought the third TC. Got the same errors with the brand new one! Managed to get a very limited backup to work, then got the original errors all over again.

What happened with me was that all of a sudden I got an error message saying the verification of the backup was complete, then a window appeared over that one saying that the backup couldn't complete, and to try again, then if the error persisted, to check for problems with Disk Utility. That failed as did an attempt to repair the problems. Reformatting failed. Rang the local (45 minutes away) Apple repair people and the Mac tech there said to use Airport Utility, which also failed. Hence the new TC.

Even while the TM backup was working on the new TC, it would spend a minute looking for the backup disc, during which time the Mac was totally unresponsive. It would be slow during the early stage of the backup. When I got the verification and then new backup message and restarted the Mac (Apple recommendation), the new backup would take anything from 14 hours to several days to complete. I am not joking. And this was the severely curtailed backup I had reduced it to just to get any sort of backup.

So it was using up almost all of my Mac time and not backing up much at all.

Just google Time Machine problems and start reading.

Old 03-19-2013, 07:10 PM   #6
Howard Allen

Yikes! I can see why you're fed up.

All that funky stuff happening, especially with a brand new TC, makes me think something's gotta be corrupt on your system. I wonder if it could be something as simple as the Time Machine prefs file? In my experience, that's the sort of application failure that's symptomatic of a corrupt prefs file. Reading through all the steps you took to troubleshoot the problem, none of them would have touched the prefs file.

If I were you--and assuming you haven't already tried it--I'd trash the prefs file (boot drive/Library/Preferences/com.apple.TimeMachine.plist), then reboot, turn on Time Machine, and see what happens.

Failing that, I'd seriously consider doing a reinstall of OSX, as painful as that might be. Seems like you've already endured more pain than that. There's no way Time Machine should be as flaky as you've described.

Good luck!

OSX 10.10.5
Old 03-20-2013, 09:16 AM   #7
sky4forums

Question - are these Time Capsules hooked to your Mac via Ethernet or wireless? Your slowdowns sound like they might be caused by wireless interference. Are you having any other wireless problems?

Old 03-20-2013, 01:33 PM   #8
annc
Sysop

Quote:
Originally Posted by sky4forums View Post
Question - are these Time Capsules hooked to your Mac via Ethernet or wireless? Your slowdowns sound like they might be caused by wireless interference. Are you having any other wireless problems?
When TM is corrupted, there is little difference in the time taken. In fact, sometimes it's slower. Same with the time taken at the start, searching for the backup disk. It's a known problem, with angry posts all over the web forums.

Old 03-18-2013, 03:21 PM   #9
sky4forums

I also would like to know what problems you are having. I have been using Time Machine without any problems for over 4 years.

I also use Carbon Copy Cloner to make a bootable copy of my system disk once a month. It is an automatic job that runs late a night.

Old 03-18-2013, 03:50 PM   #10
Shane Stanley
Staff

If you really just want to use the drives, I'd suggest you buy a cheap USB case and put them in that. I'd also second the recommendation of Carbon Copy Cloner, which does more than cloning.
Shane Stanley is offline   Reply With Quote