DTP

Lively discussions on the graphic arts and publishing — in print or on the web

Go Back   Desktop Publishing Forum > General Discussions > Software

Old 01-16-2013, 09:19 AM   #1
PebbleBeach

Default Graphic design lightweight ...

Hello -
I live in a small town where no one is offering design services for printed matter (ie. business cards, brochures, posters, etc.)
I have done a lot of this kind of work for my and my former husband's business and I always quite enjoyed it.
At that time, I used my lovely Serif program that worked well enough for my needs.
Fast forward a few years later ...
I now have a Mac. I can do some of this kind of work through the Work program but it is quite limited.
I am looking for a competent program somewhere between Crayola wax crayons and Adobe. I can't justify spending that kind of money for my needs.
What software might be suitable for my needs? I look forward to receiving your input.
Thanks kindly,
PB
Old 01-16-2013, 11:03 AM   #2
annc
Sysop

Location: Subtropical Queensland, Australia, between the mountains and the Coral Sea

If you still have your Serif licences, maybe it would be most economical to get Parallels and a copy of Windows 8, at least to start with, and upgrade to the Adobe Creative Suite for the Mac after you've got your business up and running with some successes under your belt to fund the purchase. I understand that you don't want to leap into a copy of Adobe CS!

There is a built-in Windows emulator on the Mac called Boot Camp, but you have to restart each time you want to change OS.

Old 01-16-2013, 11:48 AM   #3
PebbleBeach

Thanks for the reply Annc.
I guess being really small time - I don't believe I had any licence for Serif. I just installed the software and did my thing!
I have never heard of 'Parallels' - I will definitely check it out. I must admit, I don't feel really comfortable screwing around with my Mac. I am not really knowledgeable so I may be way off base.
I look forward to what other tidbits of info may pass my way through this forum!
Old 01-16-2013, 12:22 PM   #4
Steve Rindsberg
Staff

Unless things have changed recently, I don't think Boot Camp is a Windows emulator; instead, it's a way of setting up the Mac so that it can boot to the usual Mac OS or to an alternate (Windows) operating system. The user has to supply (read: purchase) Windows and install it.

This seems to be up to date through July 2012:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Boot_Camp_(software)

www.pptools.com
and stuff
Steve Rindsberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013, 12:42 PM   #5
annc
Sysop

Location: Subtropical Queensland, Australia, between the mountains and the Coral Sea

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Rindsberg View Post
Unless things have changed recently, I don't think Boot Camp is a Windows emulator; instead, it's a way of setting up the Mac so that it can boot to the usual Mac OS or to an alternate (Windows) operating system. The user has to supply (read: purchase) Windows and install it.

This seems to be up to date through July 2012:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Boot_Camp_(software)
Yeah, I worded that bit of my message really badly! Thanks for clarifying, Steve.

Old 01-16-2013, 12:57 PM   #6
terrie
Staff

I don't know if you'd be able to use this--not sure if it's functional under the current OS versions on the mac side as I'm pc-based--but, Adobe has opened downloads for both Win and Mac with serial numbers for the Adobe CS2 suite and individual programs due to issues with activation for CS2. It might be worth investigating. I've downloaded everything but haven't had a chance to install anything yet--I'm going to start with Acrobat Standard 7--but reports at least on the pc-side are that things work ok but I don't know about the mac side.

Hope that helps and...welcome back...'-}}

Terrie
terrie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2013, 05:21 AM   #7
PebbleBeach

I went to the link Terrie. Wow! I would like to investigate further but, for my particular needs, what program(s) would I be looking at?
Old 01-17-2013, 10:38 AM   #8
Andrew B.
Staff

PebbleBeach, the availability of those programs is a little controversial. You might want to read here: http://www.techspot.com/news/51316-a...t-mean-to.html

Old 01-18-2013, 04:29 AM   #9
PebbleBeach

Thanks Andrew B - just read the article. And I read the comments ... I guess each individual has to figure out if they feel comfortable downloading it or not.
Old 01-17-2013, 12:00 PM   #10
terrie
Staff

Quote:
pebblebeach: I went to the link Terrie. Wow! I would like to investigate further but, for my particular needs, what program(s) would I be looking at?
I'd suggest at least InDesign for layout and Photoshop for image editing and perhaps Illustrator which I've never used but a lot of people do or...if you've got a decent broadband connection, then download all of the mac versions and then you can decide later--don't forget to make a copy of the serial number for each downloaded program...'-}}

Also...you might want to check if the CS2 versions will run on whatever is your current mac OS version...

Terrie
terrie is offline   Reply With Quote