DTP

Lively discussions on the graphic arts and publishing — in print or on the web

Go Back   Desktop Publishing Forum > General Discussions > Hardware & Gadgets

Old 12-30-2012, 07:59 PM   #1
Andrew B.
Staff

Default Shift LCD display (a rambling)

Apparently shifting and LCD display is not simple. With a CRT one simply uses the screen shift controls on the front. But I've been searching around the web and often this question is unanswered. Sometimes the answer is to update the drivers, etc (the usual generic answer). Sometimes shifting resolution down and up again. Sometimes it's the mysterious auto-adjust button that I've never seen on a laptop. Maybe free-standing LCDs have this. I looked at the nvidia on my laptop and see no controls for this, except maybe to change modes.

I don't have this problem, btw. So there is no need to troubleshoot this with me. I just became curious about this when I was in a store today, looking at a small Asus VivoBook Q200E. It was the only netbook in the store. Anyway, it has a touchscreen with Windows 8. But the display was shifting to the right a little, and when I touched the upper right corner, I could see the feedback indicating that it felt me, but no charms. This got me wondering about this whole thing.

I asked one of the sale people there for help, and he said that's just the way they are made. If that's true, I think I would be able to find some complaining on the Internet.

Old 12-30-2012, 09:02 PM   #2
Steve Rindsberg
Staff

Sometimes touchscreen computers have a routine for calibrating the screen. It puts little cross marks at the corners then has you tap them; from that, it can determine where you're seeing stuff vs where it thinks stuff is.

Ah. Found it. In Win8, you want Control Panel | Tablet PC Settings | Calibrate

www.pptools.com
and stuff
Steve Rindsberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2012, 03:33 PM   #3
Hugh Wyn Griffith

<< I asked one of the sale people there for help, and he said that's just the way they are made. >>

Find another store .....

Hugh
Hugh Wyn Griffith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2012, 05:43 PM   #4
BobRoosth

Very odd. I don't think I have ever seen that in a laptop. I'd probably try the resolution change process. Better, RMA it.
BobRoosth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2012, 10:31 PM   #5
Steve Rindsberg
Staff

Saw a bit more about this ... apparently they're putting Win8 on some machines that are not precisely made for it; in some cases, there's a bezel that keeps us from getting our fat fingers pointed at the very "edge-most" pixels on the screen, but it's exactly these pixels that are the trigger for Win8-happy-stuff. And no way to tell it to fire off on the outermost 2 or 5 or whatever pixels.

www.pptools.com
and stuff
Old 01-01-2013, 01:29 PM   #6
terrie
Staff

Quote:
steve: in some cases, there's a bezel that keeps us from getting our fat fingers pointed at the very "edge-most" pixels on the screen
The latest issue of Maximum PC discusses this problem also. I wonder if there might be a tweak in Win8 to allow one to adjust the sensitivity--probably not because everyone, of course, has gone out and purchased all new hardware so there is no need...'-}}

Terrie
terrie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2013, 07:22 AM   #7
Steve Rindsberg
Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by terrie View Post
The latest issue of Maximum PC discusses this problem also. I wonder if there might be a tweak in Win8 to allow one to adjust the sensitivity--probably not because everyone, of course, has gone out and purchased all new hardware so there is no need...'-}}

Terrie
Apparently not (hence the "And no way to tell it to fire off on the outermost 2 or 5 or whatever pixels." comment in my original post). Other people wondered the same thing, went looking for an answer to that one and came up dry.

www.pptools.com
and stuff
Old 01-02-2013, 01:04 PM   #8
terrie
Staff

Quote:
steve: went looking for an answer to that one and came up dry.
Not surprised at all...

Terrie
terrie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2013, 01:19 PM   #9
Andrew B.
Staff

I just tried one at Staples. Same computer except it was the S200E instead of the Q200E. The latter is the Best Buy version.

This screen did not appear to be offset. At first I was not able to bring up the charms but eventually figured out that I have to use a right to left swiping motion. So maybe that was my problem on the other computer. But no matter how many variations I tried, I could not bring up the start screen icon in the lower left, or the active apps view in the upper left. The salesman also tried all sorts of things with no luck. What I should have done at that point is try out a tablet and see if I could do it there, but I didn't think of it at the time. I guess if I was energetic enough I could go to a Asus user forum and ask there. But I'm not feeling that energetic.

There were also some things I could not find.

1. Isn't there a way to get into the all applications view besides hitting the space bar and selecting all apps. I thought there was a single action that toggled this.

2. In my testing at home there was a setting I could change that threw a lot of Windows utilities onto the Start Screen to the right of the main metro tiles. Anyone know how this is done? I can no longer find this.

Old 01-02-2013, 05:18 PM   #10
Andrew B.
Staff

Update note. After doing some reasearch, I think the gesture I should have been doing on the left side is a quick movement starting on the bezel, moving into the screen and quickly out again.