DTP

Lively discussions on the graphic arts and publishing — in print or on the web

Go Back   Desktop Publishing Forum > General Discussions > Hardware & Gadgets

Old 12-28-2012, 12:22 PM   #1
terrie
Staff

Default Windows 7 & erratic mouse

I've had very annoying experiences in using a mouse with Windows 7. I outlined one of the issues in the "Windows 7 Oddity" thread but I was also having problems with the mouse periodically and unexpectedly moving itself, appearing to decide that I'd right-clicked when I hadn't and just generally acting erratically as though it had a mind of its own--a mind with very little intelligence.

While I was getting my system set up, I was using a small wireless Logitech notebook mouse with one of those new little dongles and I thought maybe it was the Logitech drivers so I removed them and just used the Win7 drivers which didn't resolve the problem. Browsing around online shows that problems with a mouse acting in an erratic fashion in Win7 is not the least bit uncommon but no one seems to have a solution although there were a couple of posts about moving the dongle closer to the mouse--one person bought a USB extension cable, plugged the Logitech notebook dongle into it putting the newly extended dongle on his desk.

I decided to just live with the issue until I swapped my systems--old system to the work table, new system to my desk--because I use a larger wireless Logitech mouse on my desk that has a dongle that sits on my desk and I'd had no problems with this mouse in WinXP. After the swap, I still had problems. I tried using the Logitech drivers for the larger mouse and that didn't help and I eventually uninstalled the Logitech drivers because the mouse seemed to work better using the Win7 drivers--normally, I prefer to use the manufacturer's driver for any device.

About a week ago, I decided to try moving the dongle that sits on my desk from the back edge of the desk further forward so that it sits between my monitor and my keyboard--effectively closer to the mouse itself. I don't want to jinx things but I really think this move has fixed the problem because I've not had one incident of the mouse acting as though I'd right clicked it when I hadn't and it's not suddenly and unexpectedly bouncing up to the top of the screen. I wished I'd moved the dongle weeks ago...'-}}

It would still be nice if I could figure out what the underlying issue is. I wonder if it's just a Logitech problem and have considered getting a wireless mouse made by someone else. I also wonder if it's Win7's built in tablet functions that are mucking things up although I've turned those off because I'd read that they interfere with using my Intuos drawing tablet.

At any rate, if you have a wireless mouse that periodically goes crazy, consider moving the dongle very close to the mouse and see if that might fix the problem...

Terrie
terrie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2012, 06:51 AM   #2
Andrew B.
Staff

I wish I had a suggestion. All I can add it that my Logitech 305 under Win7 has no problems. My antennae is plugged into the left side near the front of my laptop and my mouse is about 10 inches away on the palm area of the right side.

Old 12-30-2012, 01:04 PM   #3
terrie
Staff

Quote:
andrew: My antennae is plugged into the left side near the front of my laptop and my mouse is about 10 inches away on the palm area of the right side.
That's why you don't have a problem--the dongle is close to the mouse... '-}}

There were observations I found while researching the issue that the touchpad on some laptops can conflict/interfere with a wireless mouse on some laptops and the suggestion was if one were having a problem with a wireless mouse, to turn off the touchpad...

Terrie
Old 12-30-2012, 10:57 AM   #4
Franca
Staff

Ah ... very interesting. I don't use a wireless mouse - maybe that's why I've never had such a problem. But in other situations I have definitely noticed devices interfering with each other so it makes perfect sense.

Franca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2012, 01:09 PM   #5
terrie
Staff

Quote:
franca: Ah ... very interesting. I don't use a wireless mouse
When I had my last system built using the mouse I'd used with my previous system was terrible--it really was like using a brick--and it finally dawned on me that having moved from a 19" CRT to a 20" LCD with much higher screen res, that the mouse I was using had too low a dpi threshold so I went out an bought a higher res mouse. Also the cord on the old mouse was driving me nuts as it was a bit short given the connection on my new system. The new wireless mouse worked really nicely with my WinXP system and the 20" NEC 2090Uxi LCD.

I've been considering looking for a corded mouse for my new system (24" high res screen) but I've not gotten around to researching them. I don't know if the dpi would be high enough--I suspect it would be but I don't know. I'm keeping my fingers crossed (making it difficult to type...'-}}) that having the mouse dongle between my monitor and my keyboard will continue to do the trick.

Which mouse are you using?

Terrie
Old 12-30-2012, 02:56 PM   #6
Franca
Staff

I'm not at home at the moment but am pretty sure I bought a Lenovo mouse to go with the new Lenovo laptop. And the one in my travel kit is an old ThinkPad mouse in a smaller travel size. I'm very pleased with both.

Old 12-30-2012, 07:33 PM   #7
terrie
Staff

Interesting...I didn't know Lenovo made mice...when you get home would you check the model number for me...thanks...

Terrie
Old 12-30-2012, 09:45 PM   #8
Franca
Staff

Oops, not Lenovo - I probably meant Logitech mouse. (Well, my brain was tired and they both begin with "L"!) I thought I could look it up for you right now because I save copies of all of my invoices in Evernote. But I forgot that initially I didn't buy a mouse; I just used the little ThinkPad travel mouse until a friend of mine gave me an extra full-sized mouse she happened to have. Since I didn't order it myself I can't look it up so I will indeed have to wait until I get home to tell you what it is. It may not be a Logitech mouse at all ... that may simply have stuck in my head from when I was looking to buy one.

Old 12-31-2012, 11:38 AM   #9
terrie
Staff

Quote:
franca: Oops, not Lenovo - I probably meant Logitech mouse.
LOL! They are ubiquitous...'-}}

I have no idea at this point what the model number is on the larger Logitech mouse I use since there are no model numbers on the mouse itself and had to take a guess when I downloaded the Win7 Logitech drivers. I suspect I didn't get the correct set because I had more problems after installing the drivers than when I was using the Win7 drivers so I uninstalled the Logitech driver.

I'm curious what you have whenever you get a chance to check...

Terrie
Old 12-31-2012, 10:15 AM   #10
Steve Rindsberg
Staff

I see Franca's made the Lenovo --> Logitech Leap. ;-)

Herself and I both use Logitech M305 wireless mice and are very satisfied with them. Long battery life and startling range. April 1 quality, in fact. You can plug the thing in to somebody's laptop (say, your spouse's? hmm?) and take control of their presentation from way in the back of the classroom. Heh. Heh. Heh.

I've also got a couple of Microsoft "Wireless Mouse Mobile 3500" meeces that I'm equally happy with.

I'll probably replace all of the wireless mice with whichever of these I find a good price on first, in fact.

www.pptools.com
and stuff
Steve Rindsberg is offline   Reply With Quote