DTP

Lively discussions on the graphic arts and publishing — in print or on the web

Go Back   Desktop Publishing Forum > General Discussions > Fonts & Typography

Old 11-23-2012, 01:52 PM   #1
terrie
Staff

Default Windows 7 - Removing Win7 Non-Latin Fonts

To remove the Windows 7 Non-Latin fonts (this is also supposed to work on Windows Vista):

1. Go to the "How to Remove Windows 7 Non-Latin Fonts" and carefully read the page--that means the comments too. If you use Office, see the comment about Meriyo which is needed to install Office but not needed after the install.

2. On your C:\ drive (or whatever drive you have Windows installed), create a new folder called "2manyfonts" (no quotes)

3. Download the zipped BAT file (see Step 2 in the "Let’s start to move some fonts" section on the above ref'd webpage) _2mf-1.3.zip either to the C:\2manyfonts folder or to your master download folder and then copy it to C:\2manyfonts

4. UNzip _2mf-1.3.zip file and make sure that _2mf-en.bat is in C:\2manyfonts folder

5. Right-click _2mf-en.bat and choose the EDIT (NOT "Open"!) option which will open the BAT file in Notepad. Check to see if the following fonts are listed in the different sections ("takeown", "icacls" and "move") of the BAT file--they were inadvertently left out of the BAT file (see August 1, 2012 comment on the page ref'd above in Step 1). If they are not in the BAT file, you need to add the appropriate lines of code for each font to each section ("takeown", "icacls" and "move")--copy the last line of each section and then change the font ref for each of the fonts that follows:

simhei.ttf
simpbdo.ttf
simpo.ttf
simpfxo.ttf
tradbdo.ttf
trado.ttf

Note: Here are the lines of code that need to be added to each section (“takeown”, “icals” and “move”) for each of the fonts listed above. Just copy/paste each group into the appropriate section and save:

takeown /f %windrive%:\Windows\Fonts\simhei.ttf
takeown /f %windrive%:\Windows\Fonts\simpbdo.ttf
takeown /f %windrive%:\Windows\Fonts\simpo.ttf
takeown /f %windrive%:\Windows\Fonts\simpfxo.ttf
takeown /f %windrive%:\Windows\Fonts\tradbdo.ttf
takeown /f %windrive%:\Windows\Fonts\trado.ttf

icacls %windrive%:\Windows\Fonts\simhei.ttf /grant administrators:F /t
icacls %windrive%:\Windows\Fonts\simpbdo.ttf /grant administrators:F /t
icacls %windrive%:\Windows\Fonts\simpo.ttf /grant administrators:F /t
icacls %windrive%:\Windows\Fonts\simpfxo.ttf /grant administrators:F /t
icacls %windrive%:\Windows\Fonts\tradbdo.ttf /grant administrators:F /t
icacls %windrive%:\Windows\Fonts\trado.ttf /grant administrators:F /t

move %windrive%:\Windows\Fonts\simhei.ttf %windrive%:\2manyfonts\simhei.ttf
move %windrive%:\Windows\Fonts\simpbdo.ttf %windrive%:\2manyfonts\simpbdo.ttf
move %windrive%:\Windows\Fonts\simpo.ttf %windrive%:\2manyfonts\simpo.ttf
move %windrive%:\Windows\Fonts\simpfxo.ttf %windrive%:\2manyfonts\simpfxo.ttf
move %windrive%:\Windows\Fonts\tradbdo.ttf %windrive%:\2manyfonts\tradbdo.ttf
move %windrive%:\Windows\Fonts\trado.ttf %windrive%:\2manyfonts\trado.ttf

6. If you don't have a shorcut for Command Prompt on your desktop, then click on the Start button > Programs > Accessories and you should see Command Prompt in the list. Create a desktop shortcut (right-click the item, choose “create shortcut” and then drag the shortcut to the desktop).

7. Right-click the desktop shortcut for Command Prompt and choose Properties > Compatibility tab and click on "Run this program as administrator" to checkmark it, OK out

8. Double-click on the Command Prompt desktop shortcut and you will see what is essentially a DOS window

9. In the open Command Prompt window, type: cd \2manyfonts and press the Enter key.

10. Then type: _2mf-en.bat c
NOTE: Don't forget to type the "C" (no quotes, space in front of the C and the "C" can be lower case) or the bat file won't work. Also, don't forget the underscore in the filename...

11. Press the Enter key and the BAT file will execute taking ownership of each font file listed, granting admin privileges to each font file and then moving the font file out of Windows 7 Fonts folder, copying each font to the 2manyfonts folder--so that there is a copy of the font file in 2manyfonts folder and the font file will no longer exist in the Windows 7 Fonts folder (c:\windows\fonts). It will echo each command so once the BAT file completes execution, use the scroll bar to scroll up to make sure each command executed properly--it's easy to tell. If there were any fonts that did not get moved--unlikely--then, make a note of which one(s), close the Command Prompt window (click on the X in the upper right corner), make a copy of the _2mf-en.bat file, edit it to have just the problematic font(s) and repeat Steps 8 through 11 except in Step 10 you may have a new filename and don't forget the underscore or the "C".

12. Check the 2manyfonts folder and you should see all the non-Latin fonts are now in the 2manyfonts folder--there should be approximately 155 fonts in the 2manyfonts folder. If for some bizarre reason, you later want to reinstall any of these fonts, just highlight a font, right-click, choose "install".

13. REBOOT

Note: I ran through the process above on 10/10/12 and have had no problems on my Win7/64bit system since running it.

Note: In the Control Panel > Fonts, click on "Font Settings" (left side of the screen) and click on "Allow fonts to be installed using a shortcut" which is what you want to do for any of your own fonts installed via Printer's Apprentice (or whatever font manager you use). It reduces the size of the Windows Fonts folder but using this does mean that you can't change your mind about which folder(s) have your own fonts without having to manually change things in Printer's Apprentice (or whatever font manager you use) so if that's problematic, then don't use this option.

Terrie
Attached Files
File Type: pdf Win7RemoveNonLatinFonts.pdf (19.4 KB, 41 views)

Last edited by terrie; 05-07-2016 at 01:03 PM. Reason: PDF Updated
terrie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2015, 10:59 AM   #2
groucho
Staff

Terrie-
Some interesting side effects here, Win7/64 and Outlook 2013.

I'll note that Nexus is showing plenty of non-latin fonts left, Cyrillic and Greek both being non-latin IIRC?

But Outlook 2013, which "secretly" and irrevocably uses MSIE as the rendering engine for all emails, by default uses some damned GRAY lightweight font, not controllable by any documented means. Except, after using the non-Latin removal and perhaps because of using Nexus to uninstall some "Huh?" fonts...now Outlook is using a much heavier BLACK font to display email text.

Proving I suppose that there must be a way to remove what was an undocumented default font, and then having the system grab another one. If I live long enough perhaps I'll be able to document the details of that and get it under mortal control.

Meanwhile, I'm calling it great collateral damage! (As in good, not merely a lot of.)
groucho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2015, 01:23 PM   #3
terrie
Staff

Quote:
groucho: Meanwhile, I'm calling it great collateral damage! (As in good, not merely a lot of.)
Glad it worked ok for you. Did you read the comments? There is some useful info there one of which is:

Note: Do NOT remove Meiryo. It is needed by Office 2010.

Should really read:

Note: Do NOT remove Meiryo. It is needed to install Office 2010. After it is installed however

Not sure if that's the font that Outlook might have been using--I don't use Outlook or Office (ugh!) at all. I ran my modified bat file (I added the missing fonts I noted in my original post) on one of my sisters' 2 laptops and she's had no problems with Office--she doesn't use Outlook.

With respect to your leftover Cyrillic and Greek fonts, I wonder if those might belong to Office/Outlook (as in, installed by them) and so would not be part of the original Win7 installed fonts and not in his list--WordPefect for example, installs a few non-latin fonts and I just delete them from the system font folder. You could create your own bat file for these leftover fonts and remove them yourself--try to delete one from the system font folder and if that works, then I don't believe they are part of the Win7 install process.

One of the commenters (BrunoB on April 5, 2011) provided the following:

Win7 basic fonts:

Normal Fonts: Algerian, Arial(Black, Narrow, Rounded MT Bold, Unicode MS), Comic Sans MS, Copperplate(Gotic Bold, Gotic Light), Courier New, Goudy(Old Style, Stout), Haettenschweiler, Impact, Lucida(Bright, Calligraphy, Console, Fax, Handwriting, Sans, Sans Typewriter, Sans Unicode), Marlett, Microsoft Sans Serif, Playbill, Segoe UI, Symbol, Tahoma, Times New Roman, Trebucket MS, Verdana, Webdings, Wingdings.

System fonts: Courier, Fixedsys, MS Sans Serif, MS Serif, Small Fonts, System, Terminal.

Terrie

Last edited by terrie; 02-17-2015 at 04:36 PM. Reason: fix a typo
Old 02-17-2015, 01:47 PM   #4
groucho
Staff

Interesting, as MS thinks Meiryo is a Japanese font. I'd be surprised if it was the US default display font in Outlook 2013. The last docs I can find online (it is, after all, only 2015) say that Outlook 2010 used Calibri as the default. *ing GRAY CALIBRI at that. Although making multiple changes on the "Stationary" settings (try to find that one if you haven't been tipped off to look for it, as opposed to a system setting) might do the trick.
AH, magic! I had removed the six Calibri partners, and on reinstalling them...Voila, Outlook is back to its old illegible self. (sigh)
Well, now at least I know which mole to whack. In case I get tired of whittling down those five thousand other fonts in the folder first.<G>

How they make it gray...that's just another baffle.

[LATER]
Interestingly, Nexus shows some 2500 fonts installed in c:\windows\fonts while Printer's Apprentice shows some 4500 installed in the same location. And, it won't show any characters or font information for quite a number of them including a lot of "BT" fonts from Bitstream. Even more curiously, Windows Explorer is certain there are just over 1000 files in the same fonts folder.

Must be the new math? 1000=2500=4500 ??

Last edited by groucho; 02-17-2015 at 07:58 PM.
Old 02-17-2015, 08:16 PM   #5
terrie
Staff

Quote:
groucho: Well, now at least I know which mole to whack.
I always find that sort of thing very satisfying and very annoyed that it's so hidden...

>>Nexus shows some 2500 fonts installed in c:\windows\fonts while Printer's Apprentice shows some 4500 installed in the same location

Ummm...do you have "hide fonts" checkmarked? Let me go find where it hides...back in a 'mo...

Ok Control Panel > Fonts > Font Settings > UNcheck the "Hide fonts based on language settings" option and then see what Nexus shows...

>>And, it won't show any characters or font information for quite a number of them including a lot of "BT" fonts from Bitstream.

"it" what? Control Panel > Fonts? How you are asking for info on the font. I have a number of BT fonts, let me know where and what you tried and I'll see what I get...

>> Windows Explorer is certain there are just over 1000 files in the same fonts folder.

In Explorer, c:\windows\fonts shows a count of 175 while PA shows an Installed Fonts count of 354 which I think is more accurate because I think that in Explorer c:\windows\fonts is not counting my own fonts since they are shortcuts.

Terrie
Old 02-17-2015, 11:26 PM   #6
groucho
Staff

Turned off the "hide", but the Fonts folder still shows 1000. I see part of the reason for that, is that the fonts folder shows one "font" when the regular, bold, italic, and bold ital have all been correctly linked. Some many of that thousand are 2-4 fonts deep, which would explain the Nexus "discrepancy". Nexus is being more accurate, and PA is showing 2500 now, about the same "real" count.

Kind of like arguing that the thumb is not a finger, since it only has two joints rather than three. Technically, that's correct. The paramedics probably don't want to hear it though.(G)

And, it seems that the "unhide" setting has also made PA see all the fonts it wasn't properly seeing before. Maybe BT & some other fonts from the 1990-era just aren't encoded properly in that aspect.

Or maybe, I've got the "Magic8Ball" font loaded. You know, that's the one that pops up random characters, supplied by the spellchecker, instead of what you typed? (sigh)

Many thanks, Terrie! You've been a great help with this stuff.

Now, if I can get back to trying to find out a way to make the menu selections in CS6 appear in something larger than "flyspeck" font...(G)

And moments later...here's another creepy thing. I had LucidaSans, four weights, installed as eight fonts, apparently two identical of each. Which is of course impossible, or should be. Nope. Turns out there was a LS_____.PFM file (5 underscores) and another LS____.PFM (four underscores) and apparently...that's not the only one with a duplicate that you can't really see, because Adobe(?) just padded out more underscores at some point?!

Maybe I just dump it all, in favor of Courier. That used to be enough to keep everyone happy, right?

Last edited by groucho; 02-17-2015 at 11:46 PM.
Old 02-18-2015, 01:22 PM   #7
terrie
Staff

Quote:
groucho: I see part of the reason for that, is that the fonts folder shows one "font" when the regular, bold, italic, and bold ital have all been correctly linked.
I took a wander to c:\windows\fonts last night and the same thing occurred to me and as Steve has pointed out, Explorer is counting files...

>>Maybe BT & some other fonts from the 1990-era just aren't encoded properly in that aspect.

That's strange because PA shows my BT fonts and I have "hide" checkmarked--if I'm remembering correctly, I had that UNchecked while I was working at removing the non-latin fonts and after getting that tested and all settled, I turned "hide" back on so...maybe PA saw the BT fonts when "hide" was off and now has it in it's internal master list?

>>Many thanks, Terrie! You've been a great help with this stuff.

You are most welcome...'-}}

With respect to the PS files, I've always found the file names less than intelligible...

Courier...ugh...'-}}

Terrie
Old 02-18-2015, 01:52 PM   #8
groucho
Staff

Newfangled fonts? Ergh, from 1990ish?(G)

Something about cinsistency being the hobgoblin of foolish minds? I suppose the problem was that Adobe wrote the font schemes too quickly, revised them too often, and TrueType seized some opportunity after that.

Steve-
I think the "color" problem is just an artifact. I started playing around with the Cleartype settings, and on some of the screens asking which of the six paragraphs looked best? They all looked the same. So I suspect "gray" is just a pixel shortage caused by the small type getting "improved" by Cleartype.
When I get a chance I'll change that to something more legible in a slightly heavier stroke and larger size. Which looks like it has to be done in three places so it might be easier to rename something else "Calibri" and swear that's what it is. Lying to a computer still is legal in most states.(G)
Old 02-20-2015, 08:08 AM   #9
Steve Rindsberg
Staff

>> and as Steve has pointed out, Explorer is counting files...

Nice to know that the old boy still has his occasional uses.

www.pptools.com
and stuff
Steve Rindsberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2015, 12:40 PM   #10
terrie
Staff

Quote:
steve: Nice to know that the old boy still has his occasional uses.
Way more than occasional...'-}}

Terrie